There are scammers amongst us!

Cycho

It seems the scammers are among us, stealing our classified images and reposting at too good to be true prices on OLX!

Confirmed by the original ad poster on Bikehub that he did not put up the posting on OLX and it is indeed a scam!...

Original: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/194188-surly-cross-check-cyclocross-bike/

Scam: https://www.olx.co.za/ad/surly-cross-check-cyclocross-bike-ID15SVWg.html#82f0f0ecc6 (Screenshot added!)

post-3896-0-64876400-1464848276_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thing to do is to save the image locally and do a Google image search on it. If there are no matches, it is likely an original image and not stolen from another site.

Not foolproof I know, but another way of reducing your risk when buying online.

• 3 weeks later...

Now let's not be hasty. Think we could at least offer some help by referring Mr Lunn to Mr Crichton. Sure that would play out nicely.

Ha ha ha. Made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scammer contacted me re my classified ad.

Beware ppl.

Email address: ritareis121@gmail.com

Old one that goes like this:

Alright,Thanks for your Mail,I am Rita Reis from Canada,firstly i am urgently in need of them,I am not buying the article to SA,I am buying the Article to United State, i found the article lovely and i want it,I have contact my private pick up agent and had agree to come for the Pick up of the article from your house..

So you have nothing to worry about regarding the shipment, it will be handled by me .The paperwork and the change of ownership will be

done by the Pick up agent on my behalf. i have also seen the other Picture on the website as well and i found it Great, i have agreed to pay you the amount R12000 for the article,so i will like to know the mode of payment you accept because i can only pay you through Bank transfer...

i use viber and you

I hope you understand and let me know if we have a deal..

I will be expecting your prompt response.

Regards..

Thought I smelt a rat and ignored this email when selling my wheels last Thursday.

It just seemed to dodgy. I put plenty good pics up . They need to be snuffed out on threads like this.

post-51529-0-17624500-1467015670_thumb.png

She has contacted me as well and is now threatening legal action. Just avoid. 

Legal action for what? Not being taken by her scam?

Legal action for what? Not being taken by her scam?

was thinking the same thing . It's probably not even a woman. Edited by Pikey