'Dale

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To cycle with flip-flops?

The post was about the use of lights ....   :thumbup:

:offtopic:  As for the use of "shoes" ..  :whistling:  Well that was halfway between kick-bike on barefeet, and now using tekkies on the bicycle ... So yes, all part of the learning curve

A couple of comments regarding the cost of lights. In my view it is the same as buying a helmet - shouldn't be a grudge purchase, as I would rather have a slightly better helmet and lights that could potentially save me from trouble than skimp...

I am running the Bontrager (Trek) lights front and rear (Ion 700 and Flare R) as well as the smaller Ion 100 and Flare city on my helmet and have been flagged down by fellow cyclists driving in their cars to ask about them and stating they are able to see me from far off....so it definitely makes a difference. 

The amount of times I have seen cyclists without lights in poor visibility astounds me. When I was living in Mouille Point, I used to see cyclists past through the mist like ghosts with no lights. 

I current run a Cateye rapid 3 that fits snug into my Fi'zi:k saddle. Battery lasts very long on flash mode. Extreme Light up front. 

• 3 weeks later...

visibility vs "the blind" ....

What a nice commute this morning. :clap:   Well I was enjoying myself, happy in the knowledge that I am now comfortably climbing Suikerbossie (Blomtuin).  Halfway up the short steep section a roadie came flying past me !  He did say hi, and then dissapeared into the distance ....  :whistling:

back on topic -

I have a Ryder tail light flashing away at the back

Reflective ankle clips

First Accent HIGH viz jacket

post-110956-0-26932000-1502170112_thumb.jpg

DUAL head lights :

- 800 Lumen Ryder, ON

- 600 Lumen on flash mode

post-110956-0-66390400-1502170132_thumb.jpg

even a bell for those that happen to be blind at all my attempts at visibility.

NOPE .... not enough .... mommy could not be bothered to watch the road .....  :cursing:   :nuke:

Coming down Bloemhof road I slow down, I am now a few hundred meters from work and winding down.  At Havenga road a mommy drives right over the stop street, turning right in front of me.  I grab a hand-full of brakes ..  :eek:  Back steps out and I am at 45-degrees, and parallel to her car, and only a few centimeters from crashing into her ..... if you have been there before you know that super-slow-motion images ingrained into memory ....  :wacko:   :wacko:   And then I am almost stationary in the middle of the road and she has to stop at the Durbanroad robot.  As I pull up she opens the driver-side window and starts appologising .... apparently she was fighting with her two primary school kids and did not concentrate where she was driving.

somehow the sight of the two kids kept me from lashing out at the lady ..... in the calmest possible voice I asked her to please set a good example for the kids.  

so PLEASE be visible out there .... and know that even then it is dangerous out there !

363a73496f3eb70c17d5a259b9136237.jpg

4b204b14ac0a1eb30f97f3d5ac1943c9.jpg

Testing out the Lumos helmet this week!! Has been really interesting seeming other riders and motorists reactions. The indicators are really good and help warn traffic. Will do a full proper write up soon for the fine folk of the Hub.

They are about R3k, and can be bought in the next week or so straight from importer, then after that from Brights hardware store.

Also, when you brake hard the lights go mental at the back warning your friends you are slowing down.

Edited by Pure Savage

visibility vs "the blind" ....

What a nice commute this morning. :clap:   Well I was enjoying myself, happy in the knowledge that I am now comfortably climbing Suikerbossie (Blomtuin).  Halfway up the short steep section a roadie came flying past me !  He did say hi, and then dissapeared into the distance ....  :whistling:

back on topic -

I have a Ryder tail light flashing away at the back

Reflective ankle clips

First Accent HIGH viz jacket

attachicon.gif20170808_064642.jpg

DUAL head lights :

- 800 Lumen Ryder, ON

- 600 Lumen on flash mode

attachicon.gif20170808_064622.jpg

even a bell for those that happen to be blind at all my attempts at visibility.

NOPE .... not enough .... mommy could not be bothered to watch the road .....  :cursing:   :nuke:

Coming down Bloemhof road I slow down, I am now a few hundred meters from work and winding down.  At Havenga road a mommy drives right over the stop street, turning right in front of me.  I grab a hand-full of brakes ..  :eek:  Back steps out and I am at 45-degrees, and parallel to her car, and only a few centimeters from crashing into her ..... if you have been there before you know that super-slow-motion images ingrained into memory ....  :wacko:   :wacko:   And then I am almost stationary in the middle of the road and she has to stop at the Durbanroad robot.  As I pull up she opens the driver-side window and starts appologising .... apparently she was fighting with her two primary school kids and did not concentrate where she was driving.

somehow the sight of the two kids kept me from lashing out at the lady ..... in the calmest possible voice I asked her to please set a good example for the kids.  

so PLEASE be visible out there .... and know that even then it is dangerous out there !

Stay safe.

Glad you are okay

Testing out the Lumos helmet this week!! Has been really interesting seeming other riders and motorists reactions. The indicators are really good and help warn traffic. Will do a full proper write up soon for the fine folk of the Hub.

They are about R3k, and can be bought in the next week or so straight from importer, then after that from Brights hardware store.

Also, when you brake hard the lights go mental at the back warning your friends you are slowing down.

Extremely cool. 

A pic in the light will be nice!

Savage, will the lights still be visible if you ride with a pack on ?

Thinking about commutes to work and gym.

Savage, will the lights still be visible if you ride with a pack on ?

Thinking about commutes to work and gym.

Yes, I had a pack on before I got to the start of the group ride. 

ok, nice photo. penlight battery or charged with USB thingy?

amount of time you get from a charge?

EDIT: full hub report next week........will wait for the report then :)