[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

..................Who remembers those reflectors we had in the bike spokes way back when .... wonder if that is still available ?  "fashion" se dinges, I would gladly put a set of those on my commute bike.

Buy reflective tape in red, white or orange from Maiseys Plastics in Paarden Eiland. Cut out into interesting design, stick on your rims. You will light up like a Christmas tree when a car approaches from the side where they often cannot see your front or back strobe lights. Also, your wheels move, and that attracts attention more than reflective tape on a static thing like a bike frame. Link below 

http://www.maizey.co.za/

Edited by DJR

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy reflective tape in red, white or orange from Maiseys Plastics in Paarden Eiland. Cut out into interesting design, stick on your rims. You will light up like a Christmas tree when a car approaches from the side where they often cannot see your front or back strobe lights. Also, your wheels move, and that attracts attention more than reflective tape on a static thing like a bike frame. Link below 

http://www.maizey.co.za/

Done.  Also the sew on tape is available - done.

Done.  Also the sew on tape is available - done.

I got a yellow reflective strip from the horsey shop in Noordhoek. They wrap it around the legs of the horses and it attaches with velcro. Easy on, easy off. Incredibly visible. Fits perfectly around a human ankle also. And add 1 horsepower on the uphills ...... OK, I'm lying about the last bit.  ;)  :D

SNIP

PLEASE dont blind oncoming cars ... there is a difference between being "visible" and being a nusance ....  Some mornings I commute by bike, others by car, so I see both the bikes with no lights and those with flashing strobes to the front (especially when that strobe is aimed at oncoming traffic rather than the road) ....

Snip.

A flashing strobe light above 400 lumens not dimmed, so about 200 lumens when on dim, is both unnecessary and dangerous and should be outlawed.  It does not illuminate the road but just blinds oncoming traffic.

Only very stupid people use these bright flashing strobe lights on the front. They actually have no idea about safety.  Strobe is good. Bright strobe is bad. And have a rear red strobe. Bright as you want but make sure it has a pattern, not static or regular flash. It's the movement that attracts a motorist's attention.

Have a bright light to illuminate the road by all means, point it where you are riding to show up potholes and obstacles. Do the right thing.

Reflective stuff is good too. It never has to be recharged. Remember the danger is almost always from behind you so focus on the back part of your legs and shoes that move the most.

Have also stuck strips of 3m reflective yellow tape on the the forward and rear facing narrow sides of my cranks.  I have been told this is very visible from the rear while pedaling. (This was from a motorist who stopped and passed comment on my visibility and said he wished all cyclist would make themselves more visible)

As Carbon said, the removable strips around the ankles also work in the dark.

Edited by Sepia

I picked this up lumo reflective strip from the French safe cycling guys when I met them on the TDF in 2015.

post-35786-0-10813900-1490946667_thumb.jpg

I wear it when out and sun not bright enough, in addition to my flashing rear and front lights. It is effective as seen from the flash.

post-35786-0-18832600-1490946665_thumb.jpg

PS: It's darker and colder now. Long socks acceptable as doesn't affect the tan lines.

I picked this up lumo reflective strip from the French safe cycling guys when I met them on the TDF in 2015.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170331_094756.jpg

I wear it when out and sun not bright enough, in addition to my flashing rear and front lights. It is effective as seen from the flash.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170331_094633.jpg

PS: It's darker and colder now. Long socks acceptable as doesn't affect the tan lines.

Falke socks. Noooooooo! :ph34r:

Lotta love/hate towards them, not sure why. I own a few pairs myself.

If I was concerned by opinions I'd not wear or ride what I do. But any motorist who denies seeing me is either lying or has their head up their arse.

The rules are for the adherence to by fools and the guidance of the wise.

Strong sock game there carbon, pls just pull them up properly  :thumbup:

Any idea where these can be bought in SA?

Any idea where these can be bought in SA?

Got mine at Sportsmans.  Naleni also make them.

just bought a little rear back light from CWC vir 125.

Claims visibility up to 800 meters.  

Will be tested tonight and tomorrow 

just bought a little rear back light from CWC vir 125.

Claims visibility up to 800 meters.  

Will be tested tonight and tomorrow 

I was there earlier this morning ... also looked at the lights.

LIKE the rear lights with the WIDE angle of visibility .... this thread got me thinking .... I want to check just how visible I am from a side angle ......

I am looking for some sort of "over-coat" for the chilly mornings .. was going to buy that YELLOW vests .... but now I am looking for something with a bit of "reflectiveness" in it.

The CWC vest might look good with a white reflective strip in it .... and it fits me better than the yellow vests.

I think I might be one of those guys that end up with 3 or 4 lights at the back.

but this is a lot better than the one i had. The trek one would be ideal, but I do not have R850 for a light.

I have seen vests at due south with led strips stitched on next to the reflector strips. But it is more for motorbikes.