[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I always thought fluorescent and reflective were sort of the same. And its not . Very good article.

Edited by Blokman

Just add some reflective tape to your bike, little dots on your rims or on your back and front of bike. Manufacturers should make part of there logos in reflective, the colour spectrum of reflective vinyl is quit extensive.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about other parts of the world but around here, it seems like the higher the self perceived level of pro-ism of a rider, the less likely they are to ride with any sort of light, front or back.

One would think that they should be setting an example to the newer guys to the sport. And no, having lots of lights/ high vis stuff does not make you look like a noob. On the contrary, not having any makes you look stupid.

So once again, on my way home from squash at 6am I pass a bunch of "pro" cyclists who are also returning home from their morning ride and surprise surprise - not a single one had a red or white light of any sort that I could see.

I'm sorry, as I said before, it doesn't make you look more pro to ride without any lights. It makes you look like a complete bunch of selfish idiots.

Rant off.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, I agree. This should be bumped as often as possible.

Stupid to ride these days without lights day or night, front and back.

Very good article.

Ive been looking at what to wear and what lights to use for a while now.

1. Strobe is much better than fixed beam.

2. The brighter the better (just common sense this one).

3. Not scientific, but based on my observations, the colour of light used is crucial to being seen... Strobing white up front at all times (day and night). Strobing red during the day on the rear, and at dawn/dusk a strobing white (or blue/orange) on the rear - this from looking at cyclist riding in traffic, their red lights get lost amongst the sea of car lights and robots. Have been doing my usual 5.30am training route up to Constantia Nek usine white on the rear for the last monty and my number of near misses has decreased significantly.

Tom

Also use a white light on the rear during the day.

Flip, any light that is bright! Just use it!

The brighter the light/s, the more gap you will be given - try it and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dale

As a commuter this is VERY relavant to me staying in one piece .....

LIGHTS - obvious, at least one would think so.  I have one of those USB rechargeable lights for the front.  And a AAA battery operated LED set at the back.

BACK - flashing red (SLOW flicker, not that horrible epilepsi inducing flicker)

FRONT - brights, set to the road about 5 to 10m ahead of me

PLEASE dont blind oncoming cars ... there is a difference between being "visible" and being a nusance ....  Some mornings I commute by bike, others by car, so I see both the bikes with no lights and those with flashing strobes to the front (especially when that strobe is aimed at oncoming traffic rather than the road) ....

I use a top with a LOT of white in it, and was happy in summer .... but summer has somehow been replaced with star lit mornings and the beautiful chirp of birds waking up.  I have been looking at one of those bright yellow jackets .... this article has given me a lot to think about !!

I will admit that I thought the lights and white top was okay .... not so sure now ....

Considering a set of bright AND reflective tekkies for the morning commute ...

Who remembers those reflectors we had in the bike spokes way back when .... wonder if that is still available ?  "fashion" se dinges, I would gladly put a set of those on my commute bike.

Edited by ChrisF