[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

I think I might be one of those guys that end up with 3 or 4 lights at the back.

but this is a lot better than the one i had. The trek one would be ideal, but I do not have R850 for a light.

I have seen vests at due south with led strips stitched on next to the reflector strips. But it is more for motorbikes.  

Only three or four?

I have a multitude of lights and back-ups interspersed with a white light when things get too hectic.  I find a white light on the back also helps. Illegal or not, I will use it and I can honestly say, as I have said previously, the brighter the rear lights are, the wider the birth you are given by vehicles = narrows the risk.  Front need/must not be as bright  because you are NOT on the trails.  Just enough to see where you are going and the brightest lights upset and creates confusion with motorists when not set decently/respectfully.

I think it should be compulsory for riders to ride with lights and clubs should insist on it!

I still see the jet black cool, invincible, organ donors riding at dawn with NO lights.

Edited by Sepia

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A flashing strobe light above 400 lumens not dimmed, so about 200 lumens when on dim, is both unnecessary and dangerous and should be outlawed.  It does not illuminate the road but just blinds oncoming traffic.

Only very stupid people use these bright flashing strobe lights on the front. They actually have no idea about safety.  Strobe is good. Bright strobe is bad. And have a rear red strobe. Bright as you want but make sure it has a pattern, not static or regular flash. It's the movement that attracts a motorist's attention.

Have a bright light to illuminate the road by all means, point it where you are riding to show up potholes and obstacles. Do the right thing.

Reflective stuff is good too. It never has to be recharged. Remember the danger is almost always from behind you so focus on the back part of your legs and shoes that move the most.

I thought that i was the only one of the view that a bright strobe at the front was a bad idea.  Thanks for this post.  

The idea is to be VISIBLE, not blind / piss-off oncoming traffic.

My brother rides with a 500 lm in front, and that is more than enough on the grey stuff. 

On the rear is where the trouble is. But the one I had was pretty useless. visible in the dark, but not when it is light. 

Things are so rough on our roads these days, that one can not be to careful. 

Snip

I think it should be compulsory for riders to ride with lights and clubs should insist on it!

I still see the jet black cool, invincible, organ donors riding at dawn with NO lights.

The problem with compulsory is that, let's say, your light fails and a motorist hits you then they can claim you are illegal and what recourse do you have?

I agree we all should do it 100%, I try to, but compulsory has it's drawbacks.

SpeedMaster 500 Lumen front light for R495 at Mark's Workshop.  ENOUGH light for commuting !!!  USB rechargable.  This is now on the commute bike, the older 300 Lumen moved over to the trail bike - just to set the example for the lighty, certainly wont be riding trails in the dark.

And please set it to shine DOWN.  Even at 500 lumen that is way more than enough to blind oncoming traffic.

Blackburn Mars 4.0 Rear Light - R235 for a RED tail light with a WIDE angle of visibility, AND it includes YELLOW side lights.

Speed Master Button Lights - Front and Rear set - R 95.  The lighty does not commute or ride in the dark where he can encounter other traffic.  Still I fitted these to his bike, teach them from YOUNG to use lights.   :)

R88 for a 1mx600mm sheet of silver/white reflective sticker.  Should be able to cut out a few crank and rim reflective strips ....  :devil:  :thumbup:

The added safety really does not cost a lot of money !!

• 2 weeks later...

I found this GCN video by accident which I thought is worth a post on this thread.  It was interresting about value of reflective clothing and also the differences of their effectiveness in the various parts of the day.

Edited by Bateleur1

Have not found nice reflective cycling clothing - windbreaker over-top ....

It might be considered 'uncool', but one of those hi-viz mesh vests, from Builders, would fit over/under your windbreaker. It has a couple of reflective strips on it too....

R88 for a 1mx600mm sheet of silver/white reflective sticker.  Should be able to cut out a few crank and rim reflective strips ....  :devil:  :thumbup:

The added safety really does not cost a lot of money !!

Where did you get the reflective sticker from?  I'm also keen to get a nice big one like that and cut some custom section for the bikes

Where did you get the reflective sticker from?  I'm also keen to get a nice big one like that and cut some custom section for the bikes

Maizeys.

They have MANY reflective stickers to choose from !!  You should also be able to get it at sticker companies, and they may even cut out custom stickers as per your design .....