Nino's Suspension Choice

jcmeyerSS

@Myles has now given me a headache and I'm going to need to sleep.

Think we can close TheHub down now after that post. We done here folks. Thanks all. Good night.

no need. we can also poitn out that Nino is now on a 29er. so obviously 650b is a waste of time.

discuss

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was also going to ask what happend to the seat/chainstay pivot.

What's interesting with the Sesta is that the rear triangle is a closed triangle (like the Maestro), but that it doesn't have the additional lower linkage (like the spark). not sure how a flex stay would work with a closed triangle but I assume it has to do with their funny looking "rocker".

https://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.silverbacklab.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F08%2FSESTA-PRO.png&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.silverbacklab.com%2Fbike%2Fmountain%2Fsesta-race%2F&docid=jqVKNGWl2AR4MM&tbnid=KJHvsjVD1_wknM%3A&w=1573&h=850&safe=off&bih=995&biw=1920&ved=0ahUKEwjhytjjn9zNAhUCXBQKHdlZAtAQMwgaKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Scott doesn't have a lower linkage. It's directly attached to the front triangle at the main pivot. Also has a rocker at the top like the SB and is a closed triangle. Effectively exactly the same design as the SB bar a few measurements and locations. 

As the rear wheel lifts, the seat stay flexes (bows) in order to allow the rocker to move through its arc properly. Same for Scott & Silverback Sesta. 

Only similarity between the scott & Giant ito suspension is the rear triangle being solid and there being an upper linkage. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Scott doesn't have a lower linkage. It's directly attached to the front triangle at the main pivot. Also has a rocker at the top like the SB and is a closed triangle. Effectively exactly the same design as the SB bar a few measurements and locations. 

As the rear wheel lifts, the seat stay flexes (bows) in order to allow the rocker to move through its arc properly. Same for Scott & Silverback Sesta. 

Only similarity between the scott & Giant ito suspension is the rear triangle being solid and there being an upper linkage. 

Badly worded post of mine.

The "complete triangle" refers to the solid connection between the top of the seatstay and the crank end of the chainstay. The Giant and the SB have this, whereas the Spark is open which allows the distance between the top of the seatstay and the crank end of the chainstay to change (previously via a pivot near the rear axle, and now I assume through flex in the stays near the rear axle).

The Scott and the SB are both have the rear triangle directly connected to the frame at the bottom, the Giant has the additional link. We're on the same page here but I worded it badly before.

Then if you look at the rockers, the Scott and the Giant have a solid bar with 3 connection points which "rocks" on the frame. But the "funny rocker" on the SB looks like it is two independent bars which share a common connection at the shock, but that the frame connection and the seatstay connection can actually both pivot independently of one another at the connection to the shock. (does that make sense?).

Anyway, it all just means that with suspension looks can be deceiving, because even though all 3 of these "look" similar, there are plenty of hidden details which make each system behave differently.

Also, I haven't seen the SB or the new Scott in real life, so basing my observations only on pics.

no need. we can also poitn out that Nino is now on a 29er. so obviously 650b is a waste of time.

discuss

Was going to say, more importantly :P

I wonder if we will see him on a 650b again in the future... claimed it suited that course, but is there any course where the 650b would be better?

Maybe something for a new thread...

Edited by Surv0MTB

OK . Next question Captain. Which is the best? As is right now if you could pick any of the new designs for yourself, what's it to be ? ( Scott for my money)

OK . Next question Captain. Which is the best? As is right now if you could pick any of the new designs for yourself, what's it to be ? ( Scott for my money)

Eish.... That's difficult. I'd have to see and read a lot more to decide. There's no "bad" suspension design (unless we're including the old Scott one) but there are minute differences between them. 

Hmm... I'd LOVE to give the Knolly 4-bar design a shot. Just looks... awesome. Then Horst link setup the next go, if at all. Super active on the way down, apparently. But then I'd also love to try the Evil, which is apparently amazing. That's a linkage driven single pivot design. 

TBH I don't think one can be objectively described as "the best" though. 

I would like to see a comment on the Merida Team from Captain Myles?

Same as old scott. Needs a lockout to be efficient under power. 

But the pivot point is above the chainline, which means it at least has some forces acting against the bob (as you pedal in small ring - less than 34, probably) it pulls the rear triangle DOWN, which acts to extend the shock and give an element of pedalling efficiency. 

But the 96 / 69 / whatever, nyet. Their claim "climbs like a hardtail" is true cos you have to lock the thing out to allow it to climb with any efficiency. Unless you put a 28/30t chainring on there, in which case you won't need it as much.

From the Merida stable, the other bikes (with proper linkages) are better IMO.

But hey - I'm still ignorant when it comes to these things. I don't know what is good or bad, beyond the basics. I read a lot, that's all...

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Same as old scott. Needs a lockout to be efficient under power. 

But the pivot point is above the chainline, which means it at least has some forces acting against the bob. 

But the 96 / 69 / whatever, nyet. Their claim "climbs like a hardtail" is true cos you have to lock the thing out to allow it to climb with any efficiency. 

From the Merida stable, the other bikes (with proper linkages) are better IMO. 

But hey - I'm still ignorant when it comes to these things. I don't know what is good or bad, beyond the basics. I read a lot, that's all...

Their 120 looks interesting though. "Looks" Pyga 110ish.

Their 120 looks interesting though. "Looks" Pyga 110ish.

yeah - that's the linkage driven side of it. But then with just a bit of tweaking, the top mounted one would work totally differently. Take the Rocky Mountain link, for example. Shock has a slightly different mounting, but the way it moves through the travel (when looking at the link as well) is totally different and adds some extra tunability to the design. 

The bike seems to be working well for him.

He was quite complimentary of it in his post race interviews

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13696577/p5pb13696577.jpg

Yep. Saw that. Well, heard it, really. If it's working that well for him, then there's no real reason why he'd keep 2 wheel sizes. 

Also - reports were that he's running Maxxis tyres with a 170!!! TPI level. That's stupidly high, and really supple. Also goes to show just how good a bike handler he is, with sidewalls that supple. 

The bike seems to be working well for him.

He was quite complimentary of it in his post race interviews

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb13696577/p5pb13696577.jpg

That was a most impressive Nino whip..

And he absolutely destroyed the field even after an oopsie at the start.

That was a most impressive Nino whip..

And he absolutely destroyed the field even after an oopsie at the start.

Absolon's final lap, though... 

Woah. I know he's the old GOAT, and I know Nino was just managing the pace, but damn.