[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Did anybody what the Super cycling last night? The telephone interview with D Ballairs - was rather …. - I wonder what his body language was like. He started with really down playing the protest and the shortened route in rather babbling and a soft tone of voice. By the end of the interview I recall him referring to it as a Riot in rather a firm tone of voice. If anybody has the interview on PVR please confirm that what I recall is correct.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will remain a PPA member as I do save on entries to their MTB rides, which are very good. It also helps that I start with the first bunch so I can finish earlier.

Their decision to not even refund second lap entries have put me off road cycling to such an extent I might just sell my road bike. I have only once had a MTB event that was cancelled and I was refunded. Two other had the route shortened due to extreme weather (2013 Wolseley and Schappenberg). 

The terms and conditions of something like TransKaroo was much better. 

Entry Fee Policy
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL REFUND OF ENTRY FEE BE GIVEN.

Deferment of the entry to the following year may be granted at the discretion of the race organisers, and will only be considered if supported by proof of a valid reason. 

Did anybody what the Super cycling last night? The telephone interview with D Ballairs - was rather …. - I wonder what his body language was like. He started with really down playing the protest and the shortened route in rather babbling and a soft tone of voice. By the end of the interview I recall him referring to it as a Riot in rather a firm tone of voice. If anybody has the interview on PVR please confirm that what I recall is correct.

Go to http://now.dstv.com/catchup/program/50c34bfc-4241-4395-8121-7a85893f9088

and watch it as many times as you want. If you want.

You did read the terms and conditions before you clicked that little box in the lower left corner when you entered, didn't you? It says "agree". It is a legal contract you entered into, just the same as signing up for insurance where it says they are not responsible for acts of war. They have no control over war, just as the CTCT has no control over the weather. If you are not willing to take that small risk, currently running at 39 to 1 against cancelling, you are welcome to not attend next year. If you expect the CTCT to promise re-funds for a case like this past Sunday, there will NEVER be another race of this kind. The financial risk for the organizers will simply be too large. BTW. that is why governments have to sign surety for things like the Commonwealth Games or the Olympics. Without it, the risk of financial ruin for the organisation is simply too severe. In the case of the CTCT, the losers will be some very deserving charities.

Some of the more narrow-minded of us would say it's 1 to 2 against  :whistling: , but those people are just forgetful obviously. . . or bitter. . .  :ph34r:

How would you interpret the facts I posted as bitterness?

Facts need proof. . . or are you going to tell me go and find it myself?

You say it's a known fact that no one struggles to get in if they want to, how do you know this? My other half and her father attempted to get in 3 years ago, and it sold out before they could.

You say it's a known fact that they sell more entries then they should, do you have proof of this? Or is this wild speculation that's now being construed as fact?

Now that the silly nonsense is over, lets get to the serious stuff:

Flip you changed your name again!

Taking my daughter to do this next year!

Facts need proof. . . or are you going to tell me go and find it myself?

You say it's a known fact that no one struggles to get in if they want to, how do you know this? My other half and her father attempted to get in 3 years ago, and it sold out before they could.

You say it's a known fact that they sell more entries then they should, do you have proof of this? Or is this wild speculation that's now being construed as fact?

What proof do you want?

3 years ago I personally helped 4 riders through substitution entries, were your other half and her father not get able to get substitutions?

It is a known fact that more entries are sold than turn up on the day. I could explain the tolerances to you but as I was you are only the question in an attempt to discredit my post and not for knowledge I will not divulge how I know.  In EXACTLY the same way hotels and airlines overbook knowing they have a proven no show rate.

Once again I will state specifically to you that I do not post wild speculation and state it is a fact. Clearly you don't have the same standards if you need to question this.

Wo I never knew I could do that. Clicked your link and thought it wouldn't play at work and it is playing :thumbup:

Stick on my wheel, you'll find out all sorts of things. Most of then worthless things. But still things.

Haha! Had to laugh at this bit though 

The Cycle Tour will take place regardless of bad weather and will only be cancelled, re-routed or stopped for reasons of safety. 

But.... clearly the first part is null and void because they deemed the winds unsafe?

Go to http://now.dstv.com/catchup/program/50c34bfc-4241-4395-8121-7a85893f9088

and watch it as many times as you want. If you want.

Thanks for sharing this for me - yes at about 4:39 sec he refers to rioting - not even a protest.

So what the difference between protest (not peacefully - when bricks are in the road and destruction has taken place), Rioting and an act of terror - from an insurance definition?

Edited by Icycling

Me definitely, did it last year for the 1st time. An amazing event, also going to do Tour Durban next month so all the training didn't happen for nothing.

As far as I know generally you park your car in Durban, catch a bus with bike to the start?

Not sure if there is a reverse trip for after, and don't remember there being secure parking near start either. . .

Wrong thread, but yes there are reverse trips... 

Buses to the start from Durbs + buses back to PMB from the finish.

Incredibly well-organised.