[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now it looks like this, and what you see is just a small part, there are thousands waiting out of sight. So, JUST DO IT! You never know how much your small first step may grow and where it may lead!

post-17716-0-95579000-1489209359_thumb.jpg

Last night I had a long frustrating call to the Hotel where I am supposed to stay. I booked SNIP

Dale: I thought there can be only one - Assos.

All the best, Talus!

Hope you get sorted as the Cape is full of people's,I tell you

Yeah

I'll rock a white Assos jersey

To match jy white Italian ballerina shoes ????

Heard on radio if you take your race number to Newlands cricket you get a free entry to watch Cobra's game tomorrow.

What is second prize?

This day! Yes, that was the whole race, not just the first starting group. Lesson that - to just DO IT! 

1980 at the Castle, gun went and we rolled after about 10 minutes. Finished in Camps Bay.  No helmet, just a cap. And tekkies.

Last night I had a long frustrating call to the Hotel where I am supposed to stay. I booked and paid 4months ago. I have the reference numbers. Still they don't know of me and my Dad coming! The guy said to me I must come there today and see if they can sort it out....

The little joys of being on a tight schedule and 1500km away. Hoping not to do a Frank Gallagher impersonation on the streets tonight.

The Old Man is already as tense as a string about the whole thing.

We will be starting just before 0800 and hoping to go around 4h45.

Dale: I thought there can be only one - Assos. 

Shout if you don't come good. I'm sure we can find you a bed.

1980 at the Castle, gun went and we rolled after about 10 minutes. Finished in Camps Bay.  No helmet, just a cap. And tekkies.

You simply HAVE to tell us more about that day!  :thumbup:

White lycra bottoms too?

All the best, Talus!
Hope you get sorted as the Cape is full of people's,I tell you

Yeah
I'll rock a white Assos jersey
To match jy white Italian ballerina shoes

You simply HAVE to tell us more about that day!  :thumbup:

Apart from the fact it was the day after my 18th birthday. Mid April those days. I think I got to bed at about 3am, got woken at 5am and got dropped at the Castle in time for 7am start. Still drunk I'm sure. Only seeding was the pros on the front line, the rest of us just bunched where we could. 1119 finishers but it seemed more when at the back of the start chute.

That was where I started with my lifelong achievement of missing subs by seconds. I did 4:00:45. Which if I look back at Froome's 1st few Argee, is that the correct plural for multiple?, I could have gone on and won the TDF by now as he was way higher than that. I beat my neighbour the late Sir Charles Mordaunt Milner who named the team medal at the DC some years later.  So I won that bet. Goodness he was SO old when I was 17.

Biggest memory was how backward in development the whole area south of Muizenberg was. Suikerbossie was lined with huge gum trees, no shoulder, the pavements were dirt and it hurt even in those days.  There was no wind, the stretch from Cape Point to Ocean View was the 1st time I had ridden there and boy, was it great.

Energy drink? Game was it, mixed you own and hoped for the best. One bottle and not many water stops. Suikerbossie had about 100 people watching.

My grandmother bought me a big furry sheepskin saddle cover, I used it. Rugby shorts, no chamois and a t-shirt.  We've become such poseurs since then.

Worst part? 1980 is not on my palmares. But 1985 and 1986 have not been credited to me either so I am officially on number 9 and 10 tomorrow. Although I have ridden 2 without a chip/time and 2004 when I took a genuine 7:30 I was so unfit.

White lycra bottoms too?

No.

But there'll new few out there tomorrow in my bunch.

Lots of peacocks around.

Dare I say Rule #14?

Always good to have a long stare at a white bib boy until he gets uncomfortable and asks what you are looking at.

Best retort? Just seeing how huge you are to see if it is true that you have to be REALLY big to wear those bibs.