[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Managed to enter at R510.00.

After receiving all the manipulative emails from PPA with regards to Cape Town Cycle Tour entries - I decided not to renew my membership with PPA after been a member for over 30 years of the now a predominately PPA MTB club.

The advantages of been a member of a road cycling club like the Cape Town Cycle Tour club 21 - you get to pay before PPA MTB club members can! Pity the PPA still does not choose too invest more heavily in road cycling - where they receive the bulk of their excess funding from - they really seem to have lost the plot on road funrides / races.

Entries:
[...] Wheeler, Peter-John Haven: 109km Individual (R510.00),
Memberships:
You are now entered for the Cape Town Cycle Tour taking place on 12 March 2017.

Edited by Icycling

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I leave the road for you fellas to fight it out.

A month before IM and bunch crashes are just not worth it.

Used to get all worked up over the weekend, now I tend to spend it running in the mountains away from the frenzy!

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/71/71c3931c1edc4353a0c03ec549753b965872a2c343c09255617f4470cbd924ed.jpg

I leave the road for you fellas to fight it out.

A month before IM and bunch crashes are just not worth it.

Used to get all worked up over the weekend, now I tend to spend it running in the mountains away from the frenzy!

Also sitting 2017 edition out.

Broken collarbone and 8 broken ribs from this year's - and all because some stupid nob in our group decided it was so important to wave at her friend on Ladies Mile bridge she'd bring down half the bunch to do so, landing several of us (including her) in hospital.

Missed out on a skiing holiday, and two rides later in the year with the time it took to recover.

I'll be back some day - in a future year maybe - but not going to put my events next year at risk with a repeat incident. Will be sad to miss a year, but just don't want to go through the same drama again so soon.

Edited by walkerr

See ppa entries open on Wednesday

From what I understand, entries for everyone open on Wednesday. The only benefit I can see from being a member is that you will know within 24 hours whether your entry is successful or not and the rest of the people will only hear on 29 August.

R17 850 000 in the bank before any sponsors etc etc

Seriously starting to take the piss... or is it just me?

Agreed its the most expensive 1 day race AFAIK but for me travelling down from joburg, the entry is actually the cheapest part of my week. I pay R510 to ride for less than 3 hours(I hope), the flight down is 2 hours and costs?

But don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money for an entry.

I am a bit cheesed (unless I got it wrong)

So, I belong to PPA. One of the main reasons is to have two bites at the cherry. Like last year, there was a PPA lottery, and if unsuccessful, you could join the main lottery that followed.

Now from the communication I just received, it appears that there will be no PPA lottery. So the only benefit I get is a potential R30 (5.88%) discount on the entry fee.

Unless I missed something, what is the value of my PPA membership then?

R17 850 000 in the bank before any sponsors etc etc

Seriously starting to take the piss... or is it just me?

Not counting the substitution fees later on.