[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

I am a bit cheesed (unless I got it wrong)

So, I belong to PPA. One of the main reasons is to have two bites at the cherry. Like last year, there was a PPA lottery, and if unsuccessful, you could join the main lottery that followed.

Now from the communication I just received, it appears that there will be no PPA lottery. So the only benefit I get is a potential R30 (5.88%) discount on the entry fee.

Unless I missed something, what is the value of my PPA membership then?

I understand there is a special PPA invitation - check the website.

Maybe I'm also missing something :ph34r:

I'm sure the PPA will clarify soon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed its the most expensive 1 day race AFAIK but for me travelling down from joburg, the entry is actually the cheapest part of my week. I pay R510 to ride for less than 3 hours(I hope), the flight down is 2 hours and costs?

But don't get me wrong, it's a lot of money for an entry.

i agree with u this race has become a big ripoff why must we pay such alot.and no discount to pensioners there goes halve of my monthly sassa money.we should protest against this

So, I belong to PPA. One of the main reasons is to have two bites at the cherry. Like last year, there was a PPA lottery, and if unsuccessful, you could join the main lottery that followed.

Now from the communication I just received, it appears that there will be no PPA lottery. So the only benefit I get is a potential R30 (5.88%) discount on the entry fee.

As I understand it, all paid-up PPA members are guaranteed an invitation to enter.  In other words, if you apply, you get in.  Then it is a lottery for the rest.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

As I understand it, all paid-up PPA members are guaranteed an invitation to enter.  In other words, if you apply, you get in.  Then it is a lottery for the rest.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Don't believe that was the case last year. I got a place as a non-PPA member, and pretty sure I heard of at least one PPA member who didn't get a place.

Edit - but then I did of course miss out on all those other benefits of being a PPA member .... :whistling:

Edited by walkerr

From PPA website:

To this end, all PPA members who are paid-up as on 15 August 2016 will be offered the chance to secure an entry on opening day. You will be notified of your successful entry within 24 hours.

From e-mail:

The general Entry Application for the CTCT will open on Wednesday 18 Aug 2016 ...

So I am not reading Guarantee, I am reading Chance. So my membership bring me the advantage of knowing within 24 hours whether I am successful or not.

And yes there were no guarantees last year, but there were 2 opportunities to enter.

Maybe its all just badly worded press and e-mail statements

Maybe its all just badly worded press and e-mail statements

you are right, confusing...

But from what I understand PPA members will be emailed their own invitations, separately from the general entries.

And it seems your entry is guaranteed but the wording is a bit ambiguous so I might be wrong.

But I'm not particularly stressed, if you really want to ride you will get in, loads of cancellations closer to the time. 

So PPA membership is dropping (not surprised, as there ROAD members, get a very short end of a stick) - so they send misleading emails using the Cape Town Cycle Tour (a ROAD event) to get members to join.

They spend money on MTB events consistently and not nearly enough money on ROAD funrides, thus the massive drop off of road funrides and ZERO leagues for the past year. Well that my opinion and thus I did not renew my PPA membership this year after been a member for 30 plus years.

You are now entered for the Cape Town Cycle Tour taking place on 12 March 2017.

Eisch!!!   R510 per entry - grudge payment.

Pay more get less.

Gees is also getting less!!

First entry was R25

(I know - a lot of it goes to development etc - but still)

Do any one think there case for Consumer protection act for refund? I know of at least 2 people who only reason for renewing was to get beter change of a entry, no  other reason.

They said if you join you get early entry and priority entry, now with latest statement you just get a invite to enter with normal non members.  No guarantee, no early entry .. just a simple  invite to remind you to enter with the rest

Edited by Karman de Lange

Thats the only reason why i renewed my PPA membership.

I would really like to know how they going to do this...

Are we as members getting a separate email or what?

Do any one think there case for Consumer protection act for refund? I know of at least 2 people who only reason for renewing was to get beter change of a entry, no  other reason.

They said if you join you get early entry and priority entry, now with latest statement you just get a invite to enter with normal non members.  No guarantee, no early entry .. just a simple  invite to remind you to enter with the rest

Maybe wait until wednesday before we burn down the PPA offices, it still seems to me that PPA members will get priority, entries open the same day for all but we will know within 24 hours whereas the others will only know after 29 August?

Maybe wait until wednesday before we burn down the PPA offices, it still seems to me that PPA members will get priority, entries open the same day for all but we will know within 24 hours whereas the others will only know after 29 August?

That's what I thought, but this was put on their Facebook page yesterday: 

Want to ride the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour? Here's what you do:

Pay your PPA membership fees ONLINE before midnight tonight (15 August).

PPA members (as at midnight tonight) are guaranteed to receive an email to invite them to apply between 17 and 23 August for a 2017 Cycle Tour entry.

When the applications close on 23 August, wait 24 hours to receive your confirmation of successful entry.

Then follow the instructions in the email on how to proceed and pay for your entry. PS: If you do not get a notification of your successful entry after 24 hours after the 23rd, please let us know immediately so that we can follow up.

+1

Are people only joining PPA to get a Cape Town Cycle tour entry?

Does not surprise me - but is that a valid reason to make PPA look strong by their membership base - when as a cycling association they NOW do precious little for road cycling, in comparison to the amount of funds they receive from road cycling.

PS: If you do not get a notification of your successful entry after 24 hours after the 23rd, please let us know immediately so that we can follow up.

Ok.. But the bit above imply your entry is guaranteed? Or am I missing something