The Home Improvement Thread

dev  null

Jip. We completed the job in 2 days with just the two of us. The bloke was using sheep shears to cut the stuff. It's a pretty *** job.

You only do it yourself once in your lifetime...

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

You only do it yourself once in your lifetime...

Totally. Just pay the man and enjoy the weekend.

Some renovation pics, did it 2 years ago. Took early occupation, gutted the house, moved bathrooms around, re did kitchen, bathrooms, new floors, re built some walls. Did most of the work on weekend and 5-11 at night.

Luckily that year was the 50km Argus!

attachicon.gifCleaning kitchen.jpg

Removing cupboards

attachicon.gif11174498_10153159522140100_5166656700504585545_o.jpg

Before

attachicon.gif11219492_10153159593400100_2149270838341760950_o.jpg

After - About 90%

attachicon.gifKitchen Plans.pdf

How I went about designing... That was the extent of the plans...

attachicon.gifWP_20150512_004.jpg

Done for now.

attachicon.gifaltAjhgQALhWiArHr9-tqd9c06e8oCx88pLw150PUABOYaV.jpg

A little demo, new babies room.

I have a similar job coming up soon.  I want to convert the servants bathroom outside to a study for me. No point in having a servant's room anymore. Firstly, I can't afford a servant, and secondly, it's mos a new SA now. We don't do stuff like that anymore.  :thumbup:

I have a similar job coming up soon.  I want to convert the servants bathroom outside to a study for me. No point in having a servant's room anymore. Firstly, I can't afford a servant, and secondly, it's mos a new SA now. We don't do stuff like that anymore.  :thumbup:

I have converted one of those to a "Student pad" enough for a student to stay in, small shower toilet, built in bed, table, chair, fridge and hot plate micro wave. 

The person I did it for now, has some rent to cover rates and electricity in house, has a very grateful student to house sit when they go away and has improved security as the properties movements become very un predicable. 

My folks also have done the same with an old servants area, they have had some amazing students over the years and really opened my eyes while I was in school to what was out there to study. (That being said, I went the most boring degree...)

Was that because you didn't land on your feet when that cupboard finally came off?

I used too much upper body in those three months and had to lug it around in March.

Some renovation pics, did it 2 years ago. Took early occupation, gutted the house, moved bathrooms around, re did kitchen, bathrooms, new floors, re built some walls. Did most of the work on weekend and 5-11 at night.

Luckily that year was the 50km Argus!

attachicon.gifCleaning kitchen.jpg

Removing cupboards

attachicon.gif11174498_10153159522140100_5166656700504585545_o.jpg

Before

attachicon.gif11219492_10153159593400100_2149270838341760950_o.jpg

After - About 90%

attachicon.gifKitchen Plans.pdf

How I went about designing... That was the extent of the plans...

attachicon.gifWP_20150512_004.jpg

Done for now.

attachicon.gifaltAjhgQALhWiArHr9-tqd9c06e8oCx88pLw150PUABOYaV.jpg

A little demo, new babies room.

Nice job Pure Savage, I especially like the two front door lights, such a small thing but just adds the finishing touch and makes it look really homely.

Nice Thread and I have a question. 

We has this single layer, staggered brick wall separating us from the neighbors. It has barb wire on the top and some thick creeper growing along that made a nice screen as we are slightly lower than the neighbors. Eventually the barbwire fell of and brought the creeper with it (this was when we have a few thunderstorms and bad winds). 

the wall is now really bear and we are rather exposed that side. I wasn't to put something up to act a screen. What could I use that is cost effective and relatively immediate. Was thinking of planting a row of trees/shrubs but not sure that would look good and would take long for the trees/bushes to form a screen. Also the lawn section is rather narrow so don't want to take too much away from the lawn.

Was also thinking some wooden sections but too much maintenance and expensive.

I have attached a pic where you can see the wall in the background and past the lonely tree is the very bare wall. Just ignore the bike in the picture  :D

post-57045-0-21490800-1471950748_thumb.jpg

I would lattice the wall and then plant Bougainvilleas to creep up the latticework.  Very effective at keeping unwanted guests from scaling the wall.

Are Bougainvilleas evergreen? They the thorny plants with the pink flowers right?

Are Bougainvilleas evergreen? They the thorny plants with the pink flowers right?

Yes, evergreen. The flowers are sometimes orange to deep red also. They are a bitch to trim due to the nasty thorns, but that also are why they are very effective at preventing people from climbing the wall.

Edited by Moridin

Damn, I was gonna say the same thing. I am gonna be doing that in the future sometime as my neighbours kids keep bouncing things over the wall into our veggies.

I looked at using nutech sheets as an option as well.