Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

lol..still don't believe you

Was there yesterday, again - the flats are still there, but the hills hurt somewhat. And the scenery... fantastic. Forget the sub-2 and just savour the moment.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there today and did my first double loop. Only my third time there so only know the route out of the car park and that first climb is ***!

Was there today and did my first double loop. Only my third time there so only know the route out of the car park and that first climb is ***!

I will have to do a few double laps (and? attempt a three lapper) as a last minute hail Mary type training for entering a Gran Fondo that is WAY above my paygrade. The thing I most dread is that first f'en hill.

Rode from Germiston to SBR, one full loop and back on Friday. Was a bit disappointed with my time, but hey, better than nothing! That place demands respect!

Hi guys, I am relatively new in the area and heard about this suikerbosrand nature reserve literally yesterday. Can someone maybe say how it works to ride there? Entrance fees etc? Also is the road in a road bike condition or would a mtb be better?

Coming from vereeniging I would like a bit of info before driving so far..

Thanks

Hi guys, I am relatively new in the area and heard about this suikerbosrand nature reserve literally yesterday. Can someone maybe say how it works to ride there? Entrance fees etc? Also is the road in a road bike condition or would a mtb be better?

Coming from vereeniging I would like a bit of info before driving so far..

Thanks

There are two entrances;

https://goo.gl/maps/JHZ8mN21Svj

https://goo.gl/maps/2HBPSmLiick

R25 per rider and I think an extra 20 bucks per car.

The loop is a one-way road with a cross over on the top of the mountain. It follows a clockwise direction and the road surface is definitely good enough for road bikes (I did get a puncture today, but from a thorn, not poor road conditions). Gates open at 7am and there is parking and water at both entrances.

On weekends, there are always lots of cyclists and safety isn't an issue.

Edited by RyanAW

There are two entrances;https://goo.gl/maps/JHZ8mN21Svjhttps://goo.gl/maps/2HBPSmLiick

R25 per rider and I think an extra 20 bucks per car.

The loop is a one-way road with a cross over on the top of the mountain. It follows a clockwise direction and the road surface is definitely good enough for road bikes (I did get a puncture today, but from a thorn, not poor road conditions). Gates open at 7am and there is parking and water at both entrances.

On weekends, there are always lots of cyclists and safety isn't an issue.

Awsome thanks! Thinking of trying it out tomorrow or next weekend

For the strong chaps doing double SBR laps, a few questions:

1. What times are you doing the 2 laps in?

2. How do you handle the additional hydration needs? Hydration packs?

Time for me to meet the SBR double lap monster :eek:  :devil:  :unsure:

How was you time boys? Sorry I missed the fun. Never ride from the circus...should be a treat not waiting in a queue....

SBR always a tough ride!

Do you guys park at the circus itself? Is there a safe place to leave your car?

For the strong chaps doing double SBR laps, a few questions:

1. What times are you doing the 2 laps in?

2. How do you handle the additional hydration needs? Hydration packs?

Time for me to meet the SBR double lap monster :eek:  :devil:  :unsure:

I can survive on one bottle per lap (barely).

• If you park there, and do a double lap, then keep spare bottles in the car (cooler bag/box);
  • If you park at the circus (12Km away), then fill your bottles at the main car park or back entrance gate. If you have that powder stuff you chuck in your bottles, then keep some in your back pocket (small zip-lock bag). And yes, the circus is *relatively safe to park your car.

*relatively safe - probably as safe as parking at a shopping centre.

I can survive on one bottle per lap (barely).

• If you park there, and do a double lap, then keep spare bottles in the car (cooler bag/box);
  • If you park at the circus (12Km away), then fill your bottles at the main car park or back entrance gate. If you have that powder stuff you chuck in your bottles, then keep some in your back pocket (small zip-lock bag). And yes, the circus is *relatively safe to park your car.

*relatively safe - probably as safe as parking at a shopping centre.

Thinking of doing it on my MTB with 2l hydration pack. I guess similar to a stage race without water points...plan to park inside SBR, so I get to do the first climb TWICE :(

or replacement bottles in the car makes more sense! 

Edited by Grey Hubs

Thinking of doing it on my MTB with 2l hydration pack. I guess similar to a stage race without water points...plan to park inside SBR, so I get to do the first climb TWICE :(

or replacement bottles in the car makes more sense! 

If you park outside the reserve you should anyway do the first climb twice. That's what makes it so fun :ph34r:  :whistling:

Edited by Jurgens Smit