[Event] The Swartberg100 Gran Fondo (Cancelled)

@BigJohnSwan

So if the KOM is at an average of about 16 kph for the 8 km climb it can't be too flat....,

When last have you been up there?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

December. Up and over from the south. It is always a great feeling cresting the hill as you know that it is one of the toughest road climbs in SA.

Also the most beautiful.  Even more awesome and brutal from the Northern side!!

It's a kind of magic...

The pass saw some heavy rains the weekend, especially on the Prince Albert side.  Hope prep for this race was not compromised.   

The pass saw some heavy rains the weekend, especially on the Prince Albert side.  Hope prep for this race was not compromised.   

Eish, just saw pics on PB.  The pass is in a bad state (the bottom few km on the PA side).  Pass closed for traffic.  This has now turned into a MTB race.

Eish, just saw pics on PB.  The pass is in a bad state (the bottom few km on the PA side).  Pass closed for traffic.  This has now turned into a MTB race.

Then so be it.

I'll bring the MTB down, check the pass out and make a call on the day.

Hoping to be ok on 40C tyres 

@underachiever can you maybe upload some pics.

Also set on riding with my CX bike with 40mm tires just don't want to bite off more than I can chew. 

My skills are way weaker than my legs, if the descents are rough, I am sure that I will lose more time going down them on a CX than what I would lose riding the tar on a MTB.....

"No Andre!! Stop thinking like this, you said it's an adventure ride only!!!"

My skills are way weaker than my legs, if the descents are rough, I am sure that I will lose more time going down them on a CX than what I would lose riding the tar on a MTB.....

"No Andre!! Stop thinking like this, you said it's an adventure ride only!!!"

Fixed for ya'!

post-12954-0-26311800-1491836233_thumb.jpgpost-12954-0-26311800-1491836233_thumb.jpgThe road on the Prins Albert side of the pass has been washed away completely as can be seen from the photo taken this morning .There is no road at this section.

The road on the Prins Albert side of the pass has been washed away completely as can be seen from the photo taken this morning .There is no road at this section.

Better to swop the roadbike for the full suspension then?  :ph34r:

is this part of the route? where exactly would this be? on the descent or the flat section?

To me it looks like the start of the pass on the prince albert side?