Maintenance tools - recommendations

Funky

Hi fellow hubbers..

Am looking for some advice on purchasing maintenance tools.

I can do some basic repairs on my bikes, but recently decided to learn how to do more repairs & servicing on my own bikes.

I purchased a bike maintenance work stand last week, so now looking at some essential tools that I would need to get started.

I have some basic tools, but thought I'd build up kit, but without breaking the bank :-)

I've been looking at this option for a starter kit below.

https://www.buycycle...cycle-tool-set/

Would you guys go for this one, & if so, what other essential tools would I need.

I would think a torque wrench kit, but not 100% sure on what to go for as they are rather costly, & also not sure what NM I would need to go for, the Ryder torque wrench are R220 for a 5nm or 6nm. (so was thinking of getting both)

Do most bikes use 5nm or 6nm...what would be the highest nm one would need in a torque wrench.

I was looking at this torque wrench as well @ R899 up to 22nm, but not sure if I would need it.

https://www.easybike...et-2-24-nm.html

Please let me know what you guys think, would appreciate your advice to get my little home workshop started.

Also any other tips or tools I would need as essentials.

Thanks in advance,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look at the things that need tightening on your bike and get those. but not so fast... a decent set of allen keys is essential whether you have a bike or not. a decent set of screwdriver (flat and phillips), some decent pliers (moer tang, longnose, needle nose). see if you can find the spanner sizes you need in flat and ring.

but that largely describes what (*I* feel) everyone should/would have anyway. you may even have a large portion of that already.

apart from that, a bike-specific essential thing i feel is a cassette tool and chain whip. cassette tool does double duty for those with spline mounted disks.

get the torque wrench though. you'll be glad you did - it DOES make things simpler. If you have carbon-anything, get it, because ham-handedness can/will happen, and jeepers, it'll be costly when it does.

Things that I like having in my toolbox are decent cable cutters. these do double duty as hydraulic hose cutters too. i also have a decent ratchet too (large and small)

oh, and round it off with a hammer. you just never know....  :whistling:

this is my 2c. i often have to remind myself to put most of the above back in the bikebox when i've used it for general DIY, because much of the tools are just general ones. hope that helps

I do my own maintenance and skipped buying these sets as I don't think they have the quality or the combination of tools I would use. I looked at the Park Tool range and selected the set of T shape Allen Keys, Flat Spanners from 13 to 19, the tools to remove by cassette, and a change break.

I didn't spend money on a torque wrench, have already stripped two Allen key bolts (seat post and seat clamp), but went to Bolt and Nut and got better harder bolts to replace them with so better off anyway. Still operating without a torque wrench.

apart from that, a bike-specific essential thing i feel is a cassette tool and chain whip. cassette tool does double duty for those with spline mounted disks.

Things that I like having in my toolbox are decent cable cutters. these do double duty as hydraulic hose cutters too. 

Agree agree agree.

Start researching the type of connections your bikes components have. This will help you narrow down what kind of tools you need for your bikes. E.g do your cranks use square taper vs Octolink vs 2 piece hollow? Etc.

A nice set of allen keys (individual ones - not like your multitool you would take on a ride) a cassette tool and a chainwhip are a pretty useful start for most jobs.

Step 1 - buy how to book

Step 2 - plan a specific job

Step 3 - buy the tools and materials you need for that job - buy the best you can afford and do that job

Step 4 - plan the next job and repeat from 2...

This way you spread costs over time.

I suggest you start with removing chain and cluster and cleaning or replacing as needed - and lubricating - this is something you need to do regularly anyway

Step 1 - buy how to book

Step 2 - plan a specific job

Step 3 - buy the tools and materials you need for that job - buy the best you can afford and do that job

Step 4 - plan the next job and repeat from 2...

This way you spread costs over time.

I suggest you start with removing chain and cluster and cleaning or replacing as needed - and lubricating - this is something you need to do regularly anyway

What he said...

Torque Wrench is NB for carbon. If you have alu and your not ham handed (also no beer while repairing) then you can survive without for a while.

Chainwhip and cassette tool best place to start after you have general tools.

If you dont have normal tool box start there 

Spanners ring and flat 

Pliers

Cutters

Allen keys, preferable to get T handle ones, I prefer using the round nose ones but I have normal set and torque bits also.

Note on torque wrench, If everything has to be 5nm the once off one is fine, however the 6nm wont be quite as usefull. I have 5-22 and very happy that I couldn't find the 5nm one at the time.

Basics

chain whip

cassette lockring remover

Good set of torx keys(dont skimp, you use these alot)

Good set of allen keys(dont skimp, you use these alot)

Chain measuring device using inch rule to guage wear

Wrap around BSA BB tool...parktool's one is the best

Cable cutters...note not side cutters

Shock pump

Quicklink removal tool

Chain breaker

High volume floor pump

Crowbar(green) tyre levers

1L stan's / locktite / lube / brake pads / chains / rim or gorilla tape / race face frame protection tape

Valve cores / quicklinks

Pliers...different nose types

Parktool chain cleaning device

Cable outers

Cable inners

Intermediate

Bleeding kit for your brakes

Dot / Mineral oil

Suspension oil

Nylon hammer

Suspension servicing kits

Headset cup press

Advanced

Wheel truing stand

Spoke wrench

Beer fridge

Radio playing mix fm

Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback..

Agree, I probably won't need all the tools in the maintenance kit, but if I look to buy the basics separately, i.e. chain whip, cassette tool, good set of allen keys etc. it probably adds up to more than just getting the kit.

I've just got myself a copy of the Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair, so going to have a read through that as well.

I have a carbon road bike & a alu MTB, so probably best to get the torque wrench.

Had a look at both my bikes & most components seem to need to be torqued at 5nm or 6nm...so still contemplating getting once that has more of a range.

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated... 

Basics

chain whip

cassette lockring remover

Good set of torx keys(dont skimp, you use these alot)

Good set of allen keys(dont skimp, you use these alot)

Chain measuring device using inch rule to guage wear

Wrap around BSA BB tool...parktool's one is the best

Cable cutters...note not side cutters

Shock pump

Quicklink removal tool

Chain breaker

High volume floor pump

Crowbar(green) tyre levers

1L stan's / locktite / lube / brake pads / chains / rim or gorilla tape / race face frame protection tape

Valve cores / quicklinks

Pliers...different nose types

Parktool chain cleaning device

Cable outers

Cable inners

Intermediate

Bleeding kit for your brakes

Dot / Mineral oil

Suspension oil

Nylon hammer

Suspension servicing kits

Headset cup press