Race for Victory 2016 - hubbers

NotSoBigBen

dressed in black, so you probably didn't see me.

Was my daughter's birthday, so no riding for me.

Hopefully you also got to make a pizza ?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year I hit 102% HR according to my garmin going up there hanging onto the VA bunch. Luckily I managed to hang on. But it was touch and Go. Another 20/25 metres and I may have popped. There where a few guys that got dropped and they some of the lucky ones that never got DQ'd

I got dropped by AL the last two years, about 50m from the top.  As I crested the hill the front of AL were about 300m ahead.  We tried to chase them down, but lost time after passing the Circus on the other side.

I will hang in there this year, as I should be a lot stronger.

At what point in the race is this walkerville hill?

(Sounds more like a mountain pass to me )

Starts just after LH turn at 24km.

4.2km @ ave 4% according to strava.

What the 4% does not tell you is the last 500 - 600m kicks up a bit, so when you have been riding above threshold for 7 or so minutes, the front of the group does a surge, and you need to dig deep.  I hope the hole I need to dig is deeper this year :ph34r:

Starts just after LH turn at 24km.

4.2km @ ave 4% according to strava.

What the 4% does not tell you is the last 500 - 600m kicks up a bit, so when you have been riding above threshold for 7 or so minutes, the front of the group does a surge, and you need to dig deep.  I hope the hole I need to dig is deeper this year :ph34r:

Noted, thanks. Will pop a gel beforehand and try to hang on as long as possible.

most of the road going up walkerville hill is a brand new road and abit different to last year, its the smoothest tar you can get and really nice section as most of the bumps you can get through by keeping your momentum alone and you will have slight sections to recover.

most of the road going up walkerville hill is a brand new road and abit different to last year, its the smoothest tar you can get and really nice section as most of the bumps you can get through by keeping your momentum alone and you will have slight sections to recover.

Shh! Don't let all the secrets out the bag... :ph34r: :whistling:

Us locals have an advantage here, knowing when/where to recover and knowing what is still to come.

sounds good... and I know for sure that I will get dropped on this climb you guys talking about. I'm loading up on the vitamins to try and get rid of this head cold I have.

HAHAHA lucky you. How did you find a A group race compared to VA?

In the race last year in A only a few of us worked in the front (5 or 6) then when it came to the last turn it was a free for all with huge sprint to line  . . . 

VA previous years , my eyeballs nearly bled  . . . say no more  . . . 

If the wind blows like it has round here for the past few days on Sunday ,going to be proper tough. The wind always blows here in mordor but it has been exceptionally strong the last 2 days,some side action should forthcoming. Bloody marvelous !

BL for me too. First time for me starting in one of the earlier groups :thumbup:

I see we start at 7h50

I am from PTA, so thinking of collecting my pack on race day.

How much time should I allow for getting into the parking, doing registration and getting to the starting pens?

Got my starting time. A late start for VB's 7:20

BL for me too. First time for me starting in one of the earlier groups :thumbup:

I see we start at 7h50

I am from PTA, so thinking of collecting my pack on race day.

How much time should I allow for getting into the parking, doing registration and getting to the starting pens?

Elites ride through parts of the reserve, so they start early. 

Then a 1 hour gap to the next groups (Vets, tandems and alphabetics).

Re: parking

you can only access the Circus from the R59 highway. I see last year there were makeshift shortcuts off the highway into the parking area, and also on the R550 offramp (through the s-bend used on the FastOne).

Allow at least an hour - edit: excluding your travel time to Daleside. check your GPS/Google for the travel time from home.

For me, a nice late sleep in, and a chillaxed 30Km ride down to the start. Only starting at 7:45 

Archived