[Event] The Bestmed Satellite Classic

Events Bot

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got an SMS mentioning that the venue has moved to Maropeng, wonder how they will be changing the route to accommodate.

From what i see on the website route stays the same except for the small bit going in and out of Maropeng then turn right going past the satellites (following same route)- quite like the new route makes Hekpoort climb more involved as finish is pretty much at the bottom of the decent now  

Does anyone know why registration cannot be done before the start? Driving from Secunda makes it difficult to pick up the number on the Friday...

Million dollar question.

I am an advocate for change in this regard, I think we need to keep asking this question. If the running events can do this with probably 10 times the entrants, why can't cycling make the necessary changes to do the same. The mind boggles.

From what i see on the website route stays the same except for the small bit going in and out of Maropeng then turn right going past the satellites (following same route)- quite like the new route makes Hekpoort climb more involved as finish is pretty much at the bottom of the decent now  

Just got to the map as well. This makes the first 20km a lot harder too, placing 2 "drags/climbs", that was normally towards the end, at the start. Could mean smaller bunches through the valley though.

Just got to the map as well. This makes the first 20km a lot harder too, placing 2 "drags/climbs", that was normally towards the end, at the start. Could mean smaller bunches through the valley though.

not sure, the bunches should stick together now for that section, the climb used to split the bunches up..

not sure, the bunches should stick together now for that section, the climb used to split the bunches up..

Yeah, should make for a lekker ride all the way to the bottom of Hekpoort, where the race is going to be ripped apart. It's going to be fun :clap: 

(As a lightweight I'm very happy with this change, I hated that drag back home)

Yeah, should make for a lekker ride all the way to the bottom of Hekpoort, where the race is going to be ripped apart. It's going to be fun :clap: 

(As a lightweight I'm very happy with this change, I hated that drag back home)

agree, I am NOT a lightweight and hated that section after the climb..

I've ridden the satellite road - but in the opposite direction to the race, several times over the last few months. All those people who've been riding the 'old' route as training - lots of okes pushing ladies up the sat rd hills - will be a bit peeved on the day!

agree, I am NOT a lightweight and hated that section after the climb..

At least the first 20 odd km should not have wind that early in the morning, and the two small bumps on fresh legs should be ok.

I always hated that last piece, small groups with no one willing to work in the wind.  Race results will now be based on a hill climb :ph34r:, with a 100km warm up :ph34r:  

post-72884-0-76135000-1507029474_thumb.png

Hacked this together quickly from my Strava activity from last year.

Few km obviously missing from the start/finish from Maropeng off the R563/Hekpoort road.

Edited by hilton_

Just received confirmation that paid online entries will be able to collect numbers on the morning of race day...

What?! Organizers actually listened to the requests from the riders...? 

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Bloody Brilliant!