[Event] The Bestmed Satellite Classic

Events Bot

Great to be back on the road bike! Great race in BL, but I was surprized at the size of the bunch intill hekpoort...Parking was a ballsup. Also waited an hour to get out of the venue due to the security card forcing each car to swith off their engine and restart...Good day out????????

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough race today. Dropped back a group as have been strugggling lately. Battled to hang on from km one. Got dropped early and managed to get back on. Held on till 80km left turn,then blew up and suffered all the way home.

My toughest race to date by far. Was cursing on the drive home all the way. With my mate laughing at me , must of dropped my ???? On the 1st climb ????

In a choice between riding Hekpoort again and taking an hour to exit the parking ....... Hekpoort wins every time!

i didn't ride it the 1st ????

Sjoe that was rough. Hekpoort with 100km in the legs is brutal, we need more races with climbs.

I prefer this new "route" but getting in and out is a stuff up. I was lucky that after queuing for a while some cops had opened the fence down in the bottom corner and started directing us all via a very Rocky dirt road.

The trophies are flipping cool, thanks to whoever had those designed and made. Definitely one of my better looking ones.

I see they state no registration on the day. 

This is exactly why I stopped riding this race. I cannot drive from Sasolburg to JHB for number collection and then again the next day. about 3-4 years ago I have e-mailed the organisers numerous times to find out if I can collect my number the morning of the race, but I was completely ignored. With that attitude I have since then never entered an ASG organised race again, and will not enter one until they have an morning collection option for us "out of towners".

That was a great race. The strong wind shortly before the Hekpoort climb broke the bunch

up a bit as well as taking a heavy toll on the legs. 

The venue was an improvement on the old one with the exception of the road out. If they

can use a service entrance or something for the cars in the future then it would be perfect.

This is exactly why I stopped riding this race. I cannot drive from Sasolburg to JHB for number collection and then again the next day. about 3-4 years ago I have e-mailed the organisers numerous times to find out if I can collect my number the morning of the race, but I was completely ignored. With that attitude I have since then never entered an ASG organised race again, and will not enter one until they have an morning collection option for us "out of towners".

ASG did allow collections on the morning this year. There were numerous announcements about it and the tannies were stationed at the Maropeng entrance booms (just down from the start/finish). I suspect (hope) this trend will continue...

Sjoe that was rough. Hekpoort with 100km in the legs is brutal, we need more races with climbs.

I prefer this new "route" but getting in and out is a stuff up. I was lucky that after queuing for a while some cops had opened the fence down in the bottom corner and started directing us all via a very Rocky dirt road.

The trophies are flipping cool, thanks to whoever had those designed and made. Definitely one of my better looking ones.

Congrats on the win bud!

You and your dad look super comfortable on that tandem, great ride!

Also enjoyed the race although the wind made it tougher than last year, My only issue was the getting in and out as we had cars still coming into the venue when we started, which just feels unsafe to me and then one guys that could not wait and drove past as in the opposite direction but left of the VB bunch on the dirt beside the road.

You and your dad look super comfortable on that tandem, great ride!

Looks can be deceiving  :lol: . I always bleed on that tandem, My toppie is a slave driver.

Thanks.

We actually got dropped up hekpoort and we had to chase like mad to catch them again. My legs were fried from that effort.

Also enjoyed the race although the wind made it tougher than last year, My only issue was the getting in and out as we had cars still coming into the venue when we started, which just feels unsafe to me and then one guys that could not wait and drove past as in the opposite direction but left of the VB bunch on the dirt beside the road.

Yeah the single entry/exit story will never work at any race. I see they sent me a survey, will let them know. If they can sort that and also maybe make the actual finish in the main road would be better. That corner will be a bit tricky for bigger bunches sprinting.