Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

Not sure if Willie is on the Hub but we have designed some internal cable stops for the Supersix, so should be able to run internal cables from the bar into the frame. Little DIY at some point.

He stays up the west coast we prototyped a little. 

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-25 at 10.48.19.jpeg

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to dust off this thread before it hits a year without posts...

Anyone here use Shapr 3D for modelling? Particularly the iPad version. Has anyone printed a model produced in this manner (particularly the free version, which I belive has lower quality STL exports)?

Inventor and AutoCAD have always been my weapons of choice. Fusion360 more recently as I no longer have an Inventor licence.

However, after initial impressions I must say I'm quite surprised by Shapr on the iPad, especially how they have gone about making it intuitive even when controlled with an Apple Pencil. Don't know if it's just the novelty and I haven't timed myself to see which is quicker, but using the pencil to model almost makes it feel more "creative" or fun, and less of an operation.

Below is just a simple test model from the hands-on tutorials.

image.png.824769b4b8117b2d36e5486ee868c69d.png

image.png.ed67b2f5806c6cd18fdf22350bff3d29.png

On 5/2/2022 at 11:28 PM, patches said:

Anyone here use Shapr 3D for modelling? Particularly the iPad version. Has anyone printed a model produced in this manner (particularly the free version, which I belive has lower quality STL exports)?

Inventor and AutoCAD have always been my weapons of choice. Fusion360 more recently as I no longer have an Inventor licence.

However, after initial impressions I must say I'm quite surprised by Shapr on the iPad, especially how they have gone about making it intuitive even when controlled with an Apple Pencil. Don't know if it's just the novelty and I haven't timed myself to see which is quicker, but using the pencil to model almost makes it feel more "creative" or fun, and less of an operation.

Looks interesting, will give it a spin

• 9 months later...

If you have a 3d model I’ll print one. If you don’t I reckon it’s probably best just getting one from specialized. How much are they?

57 minutes ago, Jono said:

If you have a 3d model I’ll print one. If you don’t I reckon it’s probably best just getting one from specialized. How much are they?

It's cheap (maybe R100) but Specialized don't seem to have any. ☹️

• 2 months later...

After some frustration with De Rosa trying to source mechanical shifting grommets for my bike, I decided to buy an entry level 3D printer to make my own.

So gratifying to do this, and at the cost of EUR 80 they quoted to ship me a set, I’m glad to have rather channeled that some capital into this project.

I ended up using tinkercad to model the design before slicing with my Ender software for a proto-print.

I’ve got some ABS ordered so I can do a final, but for now happy to sit and stare at it 👌

DAD30E88-57AB-4031-867C-75C58316EC97.jpeg

image.jpg

On 5/2/2022 at 11:28 PM, patches said:

We have been using fusion 360......I need a mouse.

Had a part fall off my wifes car, plastic cover. Ended up buying a nice 3D printer and printing the item for just over the imported cost of the part...only took 10 prototypes :)

I saw someone saying ABS, if you haven't used it yet try printing in PETG its easy to get right and you don't need to heat the printing environment.

41 minutes ago, Furbz said:

Anyone want to take this on for me?

I’d be keen on at least 2 or 3 depending on the price

https://www.magcad-designs.com/products/magcad-garmin-varia-bontrager-blendr-saddle-mount

I’d recommend this design instead

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4788212

at least with strap ties there is some give in the event of a knock, screws are always going to win against plastic.

(also this design is ready to go for print!)

14 hours ago, Kom said:

I’d recommend this design instead

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4788212

at least with strap ties there is some give in the event of a knock, screws are always going to win against plastic.

(also this design is ready to go for print!)

sadly likely wont work for me and my short legs.

my saddles are usually set right the way forward so wont have any rail to put it on.

i'm also fairly confident the saddles are ok - they are designed to carry a light so should be ok. also just a much neater finish to the bike using the existing mounts

3 hours ago, Jono said:

I’m working on a mount CNC machined out of aluminium. Hoping to have a prototype going this week. Pop me a dm if you’re interested.

Pm incoming

This weekend I decided to fetch a design from thingiverse for a simple iPad/Tablet mount for the indoor trainer.

Even though the design came with its own dowels for snapping all the bits together, I ended up buying some M4x15mm screws from builders to get the build nice and stiff.

A couple of post thoughts to this design:

-I would remix the base cross brace into both arms for a single print, but the size of an average print bed (220x220) would be limiting

-I would modify the top cross brace to include some side guides/supports for the tablet not to move around when I’m standing and “rocking” the bike

-I would move the bottom of the tablet a couple of cm away, I tend to bump it when I’m switching hands to the cross bar

-a second mount for my phone would be handy

808DAAE1-F477-47A7-88F5-B0393C50ED9E.jpeg

8AD34127-2F51-4062-8585-252D1458A37B.jpeg

C14992F0-11E2-4B7E-8C14-F08ADE218CD6.jpeg

75ECF1E5-DC77-4A85-9607-CE894C618D41.jpeg