Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

Let's see how this works out for them, since their competition is not playing by their rules.

Well, it does not really seem that they care...

Since when do you charge more than 20k for a set of gears? Hell, there are some people that think 20k for an entire bike is a bit much.

A cars gearbox is cheaper then that.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"SRAM claims victories in retail pricing"

This headline is priceless. Doing a worldwide price fix and simply say they want to price their products "correctly". Where's the international Competition Commission when you need one. 

Stick to Shimano in the meantime. Hope they will be more robust on price control.

Edited by Pah Bear

I'm sure many eBay sellers will still ship Sram stuff anywhere, especially the sellers in Asia, Thailand/Hong Kong etc

Just a small matter of trust that stands in the way...

Just a small matter of trust that stands in the way...

Not sure what you mean by trust... there is a buyer protection plan with ebay http://pages.ebay.com/resolutioncenter/BuyerProtectionForSellers.html  So you can open a case and get your money back if the goods do not get sent etc.

Similarly if you buy on ebay and pay via paypal there is purchase protection https://www.paypal.com/za/webapps/mpp/buyer-protection so you can cover yourself twice for peace of mind

There is no reason not to shop via ebay.  My only caveat to this is to check the rating of the seller and if is not in the high 90% then you may want to consider another seller.

Edit:  i can only assume you reference to trust is that you think buying on ebay is like buying on the hub

Edited by shaper

I never lost any money on ebay ever....and ive been shopping there since around 2008 ! Great buyer protection !

Got to wonder where the real issue is here. If local agents are moaning about having to honour or do warranty repairs for grey goods is the problem really the small consumer who use overseas bike shops to import stuff? We buy things such as chains, cassettes, pedals and groupsets-kit that generally do not break. Finnicky really expensive things like shocks, forks, dropper posts etc are generally bought locally so that one can have recourse to LSB and agent/distributor. But is the real problem not on warranties where the big importers buy containers full of bikes (with SRAM components already fitted)? Where there are fails  warranty and repair claims go to the local SA agent who has to honour them? Far more bikes imported with SRAM stuff than what we buy through CRC. So my conspiracy theory is that SRAM in the USA is just keeping the local distributor happy by putting heat on the online shop in Europe but ignoring the elephant in the room of thousands of bikes coming into SA where the components were not bought via local distributor. SRAM USA care not less where their goods are sold-to OEM, online bike shops or to a local distributor and that's the bottom line.

eish...I whish you would type smaller paragraphs .... I stopped reading halfway through !

I am pretty sure that eBay will be the easiest to deal with in combination with PayPal into the future - fortunately I just ordered some eagle stuff today to be delivered to my brother in law in Dubai - should have it in a couple of weeks when he comes for holidays here.

I am pretty sure that eBay will be the easiest to deal with in combination with PayPal into the future - fortunately I just ordered some eagle stuff today to be delivered to my brother in law in Dubai - should have it in a couple of weeks when he comes for holidays here.

what would your monetary, or rather percentage saving be vs buying locally?

I've observed a number of eagle xx1 and x01 group sets being sold on the hub recently having been stripped off Scott bicycles by their owners. Prices around R18k and R14k respectively, one wanders how good eagle really is, or is the novelty of being an early adopter simply just an easy way to make some cash before the prices become more reasonable.

what would your monetary, or rather percentage saving be vs buying locally?

10600 for x01 cluster, chainring, gripshift chain and derailleur- so about 40% saving

Edited by V12man

I've observed a number of eagle xx1 and x01 group sets being sold on the hub recently having been stripped off Scott bicycles by their owners. Prices around R18k and R14k respectively, one wanders how good eagle really is, or is the novelty of being an early adopter simply just an easy way to make some cash before the prices become more reasonable.

Sponsor requirement was 1 reason given

Sponsor requirement was 1 reason given

I have noticed on international forums that not all are charmed by Eagle. Many say the derailleur arm is too long and may knock rocks etc. But many complain about the cost. A bald eagle cluster and chain is 400 Euro. A 11 speed XT cluster and chain is 80 Euro or 65 Euro for a 10 speed version. Many are asking how bad 2X10 actually was?

I see their point. I have ridden bikes with a front derailleur for the last 25 years (I have only recently changed to 1x) and I never had a problem with the front derailleur. The weight difference is not substantial.

Edited by Baracuda