Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

ARAMEX

Has anybody signed up with Aramex. $5 gives you lifetime membership??

A phenomenal global online shopping experience awaits you. Complete your registration to get 17 international physical addresses to use for your online purchases. We will then deliver your items to you at rates you'll love!

http://www.aramex.com/content/MailMerge/AIL-2016-584/images/footer.jpg

ARAMEX

Has anybody signed up with Aramex. $5 gives you lifetime membership??

A phenomenal global online shopping experience awaits you. Complete your registration to get 17 international physical addresses to use for your online purchases. We will then deliver your items to you at rates you'll love!

http://www.aramex.com/content/MailMerge/AIL-2016-584/images/footer.jpg[/size]

If you are with FNB you can sign up for free

An interesting experience this weekend. My wife's trusty Zula runs a Truvativ crank and gpx BB. It was making odd noises and sure enough the left side bearing was poked. I went in search of a fresh BB on Saturday afternoon. 

The pricing is pretty uniform - R700.00 which is significantly more than the Shimano version. i queried the pricing at the shop as I'd heard that prices were coming down. Only the chains I was told - because SRAM want people to change their chains more often. 

Out of the goodness of their hearts? Or to stop customers complaining when they have to change a very expensive cassette because they didn't put a fresh chain on every three months? That said, only some SRAM chains are cheaper and if you shop around, Shimano chains are not that much more. 

When I go 11 speed it will be the new 11-46 Shimano XT - I think Shimano did the whole thing right. No expensive drivers and the cassette's are not stupidly expensive. A bigger front ring solves the top end speed problem too.

Yip this works well. My fatbike's hub was not 1x11 compatible and to resolve the problem my my LBS fitted a shimano 11-46 and shifts extremely well with the 1x11 SRAM XO1 Groupset.

• 2 years later...

Dear Cape Cycle Systems (and their poor LBS clients)

I could not get a 10 Speed SRAM WiFli derailleur locally. You do not stock it anymore, and your Exclusive Sales Area agreement with SRAM also allow you not to care.

One LBS had a SRAM Red one "at the back" but off couse did not see value in the deal for letting me have it at a sensible Apex/Force price (he is now still stuck with it). Another tried to offer ordering one via Cape Cycle Systems, but I would be looking at 4-6 weeks if successful (as they do not have stock - which I new, I phoned them already)

So I hopped on the interent and BYPASSED the geolocking

I got

1 x 10 Speed Apex WiFli derailleur

1 x 10 Speed PC1071 Chain

1 x 10 Speed PG1050 11-32 Casette

All in (landed, delivery, all duties fees vat) R1 785.62

(Chris Willemse was R1760 for the casette and chain alone)

Look, I want to support local. Whether it is an online store or LBS. But how is it possible with the lack of back catalogue you keep and the prices you charge? 

Maybe this is bragging/boasting/gloating, but I do feel a sense of satisfaction getting the gear I wanted and sticking it to you as I see you a part of a very anti-competitive practice of geolocking. I know you will probably never read this, but maybe you do search your name and read this.  And maybe some other hubbers will also start sticking it to you when they read this.

(But I do feel for the LBSse not allowed to do this and being left to your mercy)

Regards

Edited by daniemare

I could not get a 10 Speed SRAM WiFli derailleur locally. You do not stock it anymore, and your Exclusive Sales Area agreement with SRAM also allow you not to care.

One LBS had a SRAM Red one "at the back" but off couse did not see value in the deal for letting me have it at a sensible Apex/Force price (he is now still stuck with it). Another tried to offer ordering one via Cape Cycle Systems, but I would be looking at 4-6 weeks if successful (as they do not have stock - which I new, I phoned them already)

So I hopped on the interent and BYPASSED the geolocking

I got

1 x 10 Speed Apex WiFli derailleur

1 x 10 Speed PC1071 Chain

1 x 10 Speed PG1050 11-32 Casette

All in (landed, delivery, all duties fees vat) R1 785.62

(Chris Willemse was R1760 for the casette and chain alone)

Look, I want to support local. Whether it is an online store or LBS. But how is it possible with the lack of back catalogue you keep and the prices you charge? 

Maybe this is bragging/boasting/gloating, but I do feel a sense of satisfaction getting the gear I wanted and sticking it to you as I see you a part of a very anti-competitive practice of geolocking. I know you will probably never read this, but maybe you do search your name and read this.  And maybe some other hubbers will also start sticking it to you when they read this.

(But I do feel for the LBSse not allowed to do this and being left to your mercy)

Regards

Personally, I would not have gone through all the PT to buy a product from a company that doesn't want to sell it to me (I'm referring to Sram and local distributors).

I would have simply bought something else, not that we have many options because Shimano has also started this geolocking thing.

Looks like Campag and Microshift are the way to go.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

snip

nice. 

These things are in any case to prevent the casual Joe from doing it. 

For the rest of us, where there is a will - there is a way.

Telling me i'm not allowed to do something without any real reason...motivates me even more to do it just to p*** all over your battery. :devil:

I broke my SRAM red 10 speed derailleur a while back and discovered that the 11 speed SRAM derailleur works just as well with 10 speed shifters and cassette. I also could not find a 10 speed SRAM derailleur locally. Ended up buying an 11 speed SRAM Rival off the bikehub.

Slightly off topic..... Is there any alternative to getting a Quark PM serviced without using CCS?

/snip/

From a business perspective, there won't be too many companies keen on importing "outdated" products just in case there is a customer that might need it. No one wants to finance dead or potentially slow moving stock. You can blame your fellow cyclists rather for falling over their feet to upgrade to the latest and greatest incremental improvement for marginal gains in this industry, and of course Sram/Shimano global for their sales restrictions. 

snipness

This was me in 2013. Ended up buying several backups and extras for roughly the same price as what a chain, chainring and cassette would have cost locally.

Stick it to them as they already stuck it to us. Self sourcing is the way to go in many cases today, imo.