Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

Might be some JHB shops doing this but first time I heard of this was concerning a very, very well known and large bike shop in the WC....

It was actually someone from sram, who shall remain anonymous, and it has more to do with all the grey imported bikes that are being stripped and the parts sold by a few well known jhb shops. The only way to combat it is to try and stop all grey imports, including mail order etc. It is a bit *** if you are on a tight budget , as i am. Also i dont know how it will stop the import of complete bikes with oem parts being broken up, unless sram refuses to supply said bike companies if they continue to ship to sa

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not bad actually.

Where did you buy?

Actually closer to 6.5K

Finish Line in Glen Marais...fitted

Not sure if there is a difference but it was SRAM Guide RSC's not Code

Edited by Kranswurm

Might be some JHB shops doing this but first time I heard of this was concerning a very, very well known and large bike shop in the WC....

Wasn't only them doing it. 

It was a global thing from SRAM, protecting the exclusivity agreements that come into play when they nominate their regional distributors. The sales from out-of-country e-tailers was essentially circumventing that exclusivity that the distros & SRAM global entered into. That's why you can't purchase from them anymore without doing the workarounds. You have to go through local distributors, which is logical from their side. 

If I entered into a distributorship and had an exclusivity agreement with the manufacturer, I'd sure as hell throw my toys out the cot if there were alternative avenues that would circumvent that agreement. 

Wasn't only them doing it. 

It was a global thing from SRAM, protecting the exclusivity agreements that come into play when they nominate their regional distributors. The sales from out-of-country e-tailers was essentially circumventing that exclusivity that the distros & SRAM global entered into. That's why you can't purchase from them anymore without doing the workarounds. You have to go through local distributors, which is logical from their side. 

If I entered into a distributorship and had an exclusivity agreement with the manufacturer, I'd sure as hell throw my toys out the cot if there were alternative avenues that would circumvent that agreement. 

SRAM in SA? What a joke

If i (CAPE CYCLE SYSTEMS) entered into a distributorship WITH A GLOBAL BRAND (SRAM), I'd sure as HELL make sure I had the working capital to ensure that ACTUAL CUSTOMERS could get what they wanted, rather than EVERY GODDAMN TIME forcing customers to pay upfront, while I, the EXCLUSIVE DISTRIBUTOR used their hard-earned cash to use as working cap to order product that takes 4 -8 weeks, sometimes more, to arrive.  And YES, I am talking to YOU CAPE CYCLE SYSTEMS, you useless bunch of £%$@wits. 

There is an easy work around to ensure Cape Cycle Systems hopefully goes bust.  Order your product for delivery overseas using Postbox Courier (https://www.postbox-courier.com/).  Grey shmey, take the chance.  These local dealer @$$holes deserve to die.

You can still order sram and Shimano and rockshox from CRC and get them to deliver here directly using the wishlist / location change method that some people have posted. I have just ordered a nx Eagle groupset with crank for R3600 odd and free shipping. There are ways around and I’m pretty sure crc are keeping that loop hole open and happy to make sales.

snip

lol. i feel the same way.

In the end it only stops the avarage joe from 'easily' doing it by throwing in some more steps and red tape. It wont stop the crafty ones....we do what we want :whistling: . 

edit: i'll add this before a local shop owner gives it to me....

i'm not retarded...i know what things cost....i can use the internet and know how to reverse engineer your profit margin back to your distribution costs...it's not voodoo. if I feel you are taking the p1ss without reason....i'll take your bread out of your mouth by getting it from outside.

Edited by morneS555

Actually closer to 6.5K

Finish Line in Glen Marais...fitted

Not sure if there is a difference but it was SRAM Guide RSC's not Code

Living in the UK, I can buy them from CRC - R4032, using Googles exchange rate.

Any idea what the shipping cost would be from UK to SA?

I don’t, unless you put in place or are part of an anti competitive arrangement that blocks me from buying from the business that is willing to stock that. Then I do complain.

Fortunately it's not an anti-competitive situation. As Fat bastard as mentioned there is an exclusive rights contract in place between the appointed distributor and the manufacturer. You can test this with the competition commission if you have the time but I assure you protecting the rights stipulated in a contract is going to hold up in the CC. As I mentioned in previous post the WiFly 11s derailleur would have fulfilled your need. Your LBS should know this but they probably offered you an "upgrade" to Shimano because they make more margin on Shimano.

WiFLY was / is a bi of a dismal failure in RSA. Not many people running 32T cassettes on a Road bike and those with gravel bikes are using 1X SRAM drivetrains.

It's not an Africa thing.  UK wont ship to USA.  NZ wont ship to Aus.

SRAM is trying to protect their distribution network. 

What SRAM does not realise is that their S.Africa partner, CCS, are beyond useless and therein lies their limiting factor of getting their product effectively distributed in SA.

I see, so its not just a frustration for us.

I bet SRAM couldnt care less about Africa...

SRAM cares very much about the SA market. SA is one of the biggest markets for top of the line bikes and components. Remember over 200hundred XX1 AXS groupsets were sold in SA before they landed and the second shipment repeated this. New bikes shipping with XX! AXS, Trek Supercaliber, something like 30 bikes sold before the container left the factory.

Then just to show how much they don't care SRAM ran the first SRAM TECHNICAL UNiVERSITY courses at CCS in September. It appeared to be well attended.

SRAM in SA? What a joke

If i (CAPE CYCLE SYSTEMS) entered into a distributorship WITH A GLOBAL BRAND (SRAM), I'd sure as HELL make sure I had the working capital to ensure that ACTUAL CUSTOMERS could get what they wanted, rather than EVERY GODDAMN TIME forcing customers to pay upfront, while I, the EXCLUSIVE DISTRIBUTOR used their hard-earned cash to use as working cap to order product that takes 4 -8 weeks, sometimes more, to arrive.  And YES, I am talking to YOU CAPE CYCLE SYSTEMS, you useless bunch of £%$@wits. 

There is an easy work around to ensure Cape Cycle Systems hopefully goes bust.  Order your product for delivery overseas using Postbox Courier (https://www.postbox-courier.com/).  Grey shmey, take the chance.  These local dealer @$$holes deserve to die.

Your hard earned cash is not going into working capital. Your hard earned cash is securing the order. Last year CCS sold off over 10,000 items of dead stock that was the result of orders placed by customers who then cancelled that order. Most of these items were special orders, auctioned off to shops. I picked up a QUARQ Riken for R4000 from my lbs who stil made a killing on the sale because they bought it for probably R2700ish. Wheels, PM's Derailleurs etc.

as consumers we sit with these problems because we're a rank and file Shitmano culture. That brand has significantly the highest market share also thanks to their distributor's anti -competitive practices (which they were found guilty of and fined for......yet the SA market still prefers to reward these very naughty boys.

Now back to the 4-8 week lead time for a special order. If you're prepared to pay the courier costs for your one off special order itme then I'm sure CCS would oblige. However in that 10,000 odd dead stock list was many of those items where customers could not wait the 3-5 working days it would take to get the item in.

It seems like according to threads on forums, the bike manufacturers are ripping us, the distributors are ripping us, the LBS is ripping us,............yet we all still ride bikes......

what a very confusing situation

Edited by DieselnDust

as consumers we sit with these problems because we're a rank and file Shitmano culture. That brand has significantly the highest market share also thanks to their distributor's anti -competitive practices (which they were found guilty of and fined for......yet the SA market still prefers to reward these c#nts).

Cmon man - you sound knowledgable enough that you would know the truth behind the whole story not just who was fined.

Like for instance who convened the meeting that led to the case (hint - it wasn't Shimano).

Cmon man - you sound knowledgable enough that you would know the truth behind the whole story not just who was fined.

Like for instance who convened the meeting that led to the case (hint - it wasn't Shimano).

Yes I agree but look back in the history globally. There is a very compelling story that shows the little S to be very much the underdog in this fight and the only way it survives and thrives to be more innovative. So to Hairy's post re SRAm looking into streamlining small or bespoke orders for distributors, watch this space. Its happening. It won't change the geolocking but they ill make it easier faster and more price competitive for those. If there's one bike compnay that actually listens to their customer its SRAM.

Also there's a few voices speaking extreme hate for CCS on here. I don't understand it. Although CCS is not small, they're not the biggest distributor out there but they do run a tight ship.

In terms of waiting for special orders they've not been bad in my view. I've haad to wait very long periods for special order for goods coming form other distributors too. 

6 months for a helmet

3 months for a brake lever 

Waiting is very much a reality of living on the arse end of the world with less than 1% economic growth and being middle class...

Yes I agree but look back in the history globally. There is a very compelling story that shows the little S to be very much the underdog in this fight and the only way it survives and thrives to be more innovative. So to Hairy's post re SRAm looking into streamlining small or bespoke orders for distributors, watch this space. Its happening. It won't change the geolocking but they ill make it easier faster and more price competitive for those. If there's one bike compnay that actually listens to their customer its SRAM.

Also there's a few voices speaking extreme hate for CCS on here. I don't understand it. Although CCS is not small, they're not the biggest distributor out there but they do run a tight ship.

In terms of waiting for special orders they've not been bad in my view. I've haad to wait very long periods for special order for goods coming form other distributors too.

6 months for a helmet

3 months for a brake lever

Waiting is very much a reality of living on the arse end of the world with less than 1% economic growth and being middle class...

Having spent time with CCS, Omnico and Coolheat I feel they're all fairly similar - challenged by the same problem of servicing a tiny but diverse market that is 10,000km away from anywhere important in the bicycle world.

Calling anyone "those c*nts" goes well beyond hate (and common decency but that's another subject).

In interesting news - I have access to distributor prices in both SA and Denmark and the difference in pricing is mostly in single figures. SA in not that expensive at distributor level.

Having spent time with CCS, Omnico and Coolheat I feel they're all fairly similar - challenged by the same problem of servicing a tiny but diverse market that is 10,000km away from anywhere important in the bicycle world.

Calling anyone "those c*nts" goes well beyond hate (and common decency but that's another subject).

In interesting news - I have access to distributor prices in both SA and Denmark and the difference in pricing is mostly in single figures. SA in not that expensive at distributor level.

Yeah you're right I'll edit that even though it was merely to prove a point that blasting the distributors isn't very productive or targeting the real issues

using which currency as basis?

Yeah you're right I'll edit that even though it was merely to prove a point that blasting the distributors isn't very productive or targeting the real issues

I guess everything is relative. SA distributors seem expensive because grey imports are cheaper. The truth (in my opinion) is more that grey imports are cheaper because they're grey and distributor prices are normal.

I'll get my flame suit on :-)