Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

I have noticed on international forums that not all are charmed by Eagle. Many say the derailleur arm is too long and may knock rocks etc. But many complain about the cost. A bald eagle cluster and chain is 400 Euro. A 11 speed XT cluster and chain is 80 Euro or 65 Euro for a 10 speed version. Many are asking how bad 2X10 actually was?

I see their point. I have ridden bikes with a front derailleur for the last 25 years (I have only recently changed to 1x) and I never had a problem with the front derailleur. The weight difference is not substantial.

how can you even compare eagle to xt......not close. sram is in another league

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed on international forums that not all are charmed by Eagle. Many say the derailleur arm is too long and may knock rocks etc. But many complain about the cost. A bald eagle cluster and chain is 400 Euro. A 11 speed XT cluster and chain is 80 Euro or 65 Euro for a 10 speed version. Many are asking how bad 2X10 actually was?

I see their point. I have ridden bikes with a front derailleur for the last 25 years (I have only recently changed to 1x) and I never had a problem with the front derailleur. The weight difference is not substantial.

Nothing wrong with 2x10 at all - just 1 x 11 does not have the range for some stage races - but 1 x 12 does- so this is an experiment to see if it's OK- otherwise back to 2 x 10 for epic- this year had an issue that the idiot servicing my bike could not sort - kept getting stuck on the 38 - and that's tough on the legs... problem was a crushed cable and my lbs found it in 30 seconds... post epic...

Nothing wrong with 2x10 at all - just 1 x 11 does not have the range for some stage races - but 1 x 12 does- so this is an experiment to see if it's OK- otherwise back to 2 x 10 for epic- this year had an issue that the idiot servicing my bike could not sort - kept getting stuck on the 38 - and that's tough on the legs... problem was a crushed cable and my lbs found it in 30 seconds... post epic...

Before you go back to 2x10, try the 11 speed E13 (9 to 44).

Recently my XX1 cassette broke a tooth clean off. Not from a rock or anything, I probably power shifted or something.

But SRAM said they won't be replacing it. And to buy a new cassette just because of a broken tooth is nuts (the prices are just insane).

I understand that they want to give the LBS a better chance at making more money, but we just can't afford to do things their way.

I sold my bike and will be using the road bike a bit more now (so much cheaper)

Recently my XX1 cassette broke a tooth clean off. Not from a rock or anything, I probably power shifted or something.

But SRAM said they won't be replacing it. And to buy a new cassette just because of a broken tooth is nuts (the prices are just insane).

I understand that they want to give the LBS a better chance at making more money, but we just can't afford to do things their way.

I sold my bike and will be using the road bike a bit more now (so much cheaper)

You don't need to replace a cassette just because of one broken tooth. I broke one on a XO cassette and rode it for another couple thousand kms without any issues.

The Deafening silence from companies like CCS is VERY notable on this topic

They don't have any complaints . . . . . 

Smiles are silent. 

Edited by IH8MUD

They don't have any complaints . . . . . 

Smiles are silent.

While screwing there local support

So there was no issues @ customs with my Sram cassette. The delay was me not receiving my invoice to pay the customs fees. Package delivered this morning and all is well again!

The US retail industry is loving SRAM for doing this. Some say they will now stock SRAM and "why isn't Shimano doing the same" 

What they forget is that SRAM sold the products to CRC et al quite happily in the first place and no doubt get huge sales via those channels. One of the yank shop guys claimed it was like the USA standing up to cheap Chinese steel imports. Maybe I am ill informed but I didn't know China bought US steel and then sold it back to the US for less? 

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting experience this weekend. My wife's trusty Zula runs a Truvativ crank and gpx BB. It was making odd noises and sure enough the left side bearing was poked. I went in search of a fresh BB on Saturday afternoon. 

The pricing is pretty uniform - R700.00 which is significantly more than the Shimano version. i queried the pricing at the shop as I'd heard that prices were coming down. Only the chains I was told - because SRAM want people to change their chains more often. 

Out of the goodness of their hearts? Or to stop customers complaining when they have to change a very expensive cassette because they didn't put a fresh chain on every three months? That said, only some SRAM chains are cheaper and if you shop around, Shimano chains are not that much more. 

When I go 11 speed it will be the new 11-46 Shimano XT - I think Shimano did the whole thing right. No expensive drivers and the cassette's are not stupidly expensive. A bigger front ring solves the top end speed problem too. 

You can replace those gxp crank bearings. Get them at bearing man etc you just need to knock out the insert out of the old one. There's a thread on thehub somewhere or Google

An interesting experience this weekend. My wife's trusty Zula runs a Truvativ crank and gpx BB. It was making odd noises and sure enough the left side bearing was poked. I went in search of a fresh BB on Saturday afternoon. 

The pricing is pretty uniform - R700.00 which is significantly more than the Shimano version. i queried the pricing at the shop as I'd heard that prices were coming down. Only the chains I was told - because SRAM want people to change their chains more often. 

Out of the goodness of their hearts? Or to stop customers complaining when they have to change a very expensive cassette because they didn't put a fresh chain on every three months? That said, only some SRAM chains are cheaper and if you shop around, Shimano chains are not that much more. 

When I go 11 speed it will be the new 11-46 Shimano XT - I think Shimano did the whole thing right. No expensive drivers and the cassette's are not stupidly expensive. A bigger front ring solves the top end speed problem too. 

We retail the standard Truvativ BB for R595...

http://www.evobikes.co.za/sram-truvativ-gxp-bottom-bracket.html