cycle paths being sabotaged with spikes

my_intense

On a cycle through Bishopscourt/Newlands en route to the block house, we followed the track through the common below Kirstenbosch (where the old BMX track is). Some bloody-minded citizen saw it fit to hammer a spike into the ground in the centre of this  busy path no doubt to cause damage to someone's wheel.

Keep a look-out peeps, there are some serious crazies out there

See pix attached

post-12251-0-30456800-1475345570_thumb.jpg post-12251-0-75030600-1475345573_thumb.jpg

Is it new? Could it have been there before the path eroded around it?

My thought too

That'll be my bet

Still a risk for the dirt bike

Hard too remove

No surveyors in the vicinity? I know they like marking the world out with those steel rods (Blue spray paint on the end)

looks like a survey peg...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Aren't they supposed to count their pegs before they peggof and leave, like surgeons do???....

Aren't they supposed to count their pegs before they peggof and leave, like surgeons do???....

Survey pegs remain in the ground...so when you come back you find the point and confirm by digging for the peg.

Surveyors can count? (have a good friend who is a surveyor. Bloody good at measure twice, cut once. But that's about it).

What's the statistical probability of a surveyor peg being slap bang in the middle of a MTB trail? Or that is was there in the trail before?

No, I call BS. This was sabotage. Some people just plain hate seeing people riding on bikes. Have experienced this animosity this very week in the normally quiet town where I reside after a residents meeting about a new trail in the neighbourhood.

Edited by Moridin

Chances are there might be a few more about the area but you're not going to notice them as they'll be under the bush and are not on a foot path that is getting eroded. That looks like a peg or an old dropper post and I doubt it's a concerted effort to take out cyclists. There are much easier ways then carrying a peg a mallet and then hammering in the path. Most of the times in the past it's always been tacks, thorns, nails, logs dragged across trails, scattered glass and even wire. Walk on Rondebosch common and you find loads of those and I've never thought they had been put there to sabotage my dawgs. 

I think everyone can take the foil hats off on this one and if you see it, mark it and then come back with a hammer and sort the problem.

Edited by hellocolour