The 100th Giro d'Italia

'Dale

Tom's going to need some allies in the next few days, Sunweb wont make it the whole way in the front, they are not sufficiently strong without Kelderman. 

I thought Sky might be keen but they dont appear interested now Thomas is gone and dont seem to have too much confidence in Landa, and they haven't really supported him at all, but Orica seem keen, so do AG2R LA Mondial, I reckon both teams will trade a bit of help for the opportunity of a stage win for Yates and Pozzovivo, this will suit Tom down to the ground.

I am also hoping Jakarin can climb up a place or two, I expected more from his team, they appear to be fairly weak and he is quickly isolated on the climbs, but I think he is the "best of the rest" and on a good day can out-climb Quintana, as he showed yesterday.  

I reckon Nibali is fried, he is totally outclassed by Tom and company, unless everyone else loses the plot, I think he is unlikely to be on the podium.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy D in the front with dominance

Quintana and Nibs tend to improve in the 3rd week of Grand Tours

Half the climbing ascent due in the 3rd week

Lots of tarmac to Milan  :w00t:

Not for Quintana there isnt. He is running out of road. He needs 5 minutes in 4 days of racing, unless Tom throws a wobbly its going to be very difficult. 

Tom's going to need some allies in the next few days, Sunweb wont make it the whole way in the front, they are not sufficiently strong without Kelderman. 

I thought Sky might be keen but they dont appear interested now Thomas is gone and dont seem to have too much confidence in Landa, and they haven't really supported him at all, but Orica seem keen, so do AG2R LA Mondial, I reckon both teams will trade a bit of help for the opportunity of a stage win for Yates and Pozzovivo, this will suit Tom down to the ground.

I am also hoping Jakarin can climb up a place or two, I expected more from his team, they appear to be fairly weak and he is quickly isolated on the climbs, but I think he is the "best of the rest" and on a good day can out-climb Quintana, as he showed yesterday.  

I reckon Nibali is fried, he is totally outclassed by Tom and company, unless everyone else loses the plot, I think he is unlikely to be on the podium.

Tommy D only has two mountain goats left to assist in the high mountains  - Ten Dam and Geshke

Not for Quintana there isnt. He is running out of road. He needs 5 minutes in 4 days of racing, unless Tom throws a wobbly its going to be very difficult. 

It's his terrain for 4 days with a strong team

Gonna be intriguing

It's Tommy D's to lose with that final TT to Milan

“The Giro is still very much open. We haven’t even climbed half the climbs yet. The last week will be very hard, and a lot can happen. I am still a little bit afraid of the last week.”

Tommy D

Think you add Katusha to help at the front.

Above all else, the fight for podium will be very interesting

Tommy will definitely feature on it, barring any incident

Who will fill the remaining two steps.

Tommy D only has two mountain goats left to assist in the high mountains  - Ten Dam and Geshke

In Dutch press there is a rumour that some of the other kaaskoppe such as Mollema and Kruijswijk might lend a helping hand. That would make a real difference for king Tom

It seems unlikely that Dumoulin's lead can be overturned in steady increments. As difficult as the four mountain stages ahead are, it is hard to envisage the Dumoulin of the Blockhaus or Oropa conceding between one and two minutes each day. If Quintana, Nibali or Pinot are to win this Giro, they instead need to find a way to make Dumoulin crack completely on one stage.

Cyclingnews

It seems unlikely that Dumoulin's lead can be overturned in steady increments. As difficult as the four mountain stages ahead are, it is hard to envisage the Dumoulin of the Blockhaus or Oropa conceding between one and two minutes each day. If Quintana, Nibali or Pinot are to win this Giro, they instead need to find a way to make Dumoulin crack completely on one stage.

Cyclingnews

This ^^^ and I have a feeling it has to be tomorrow

Above all else, the fight for podium will be very interesting

Tommy will definitely feature on it, barring any incident

Who will fill the remaining two steps.

I am hoping Tom can fill the top step, he would be a worthy victor.

I am guessing Quintana will be there somewhere, but I dont like him so I am ignoring him, head in the sand attitude.....  so my ideal pick for the next two steps will be Jakarin and Pinot. 

Not much clock between 2 and 6-7

Intense

1 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb 63:48:08 
2 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:02:41 
3 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:03:21 
4 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:03:40 
5 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin 0:04:24 
6 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:04:32 
7 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:59 

8 Bob Jungels (Lux) Quick-Step Floors 0:05:18 
9 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:06:01 
10 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:07:03

This ^^^ and I have a feeling it has to be tomorrow

Hmm, maybe, I dont know, Quintana needs around 5 minutes to feel even remotely confident, Tom will really need to get shelled to lose that much in a day and I think that will only happen if he is isolated without allies, but I recon he will get help, other teams also want a win and his form is good.

Another factor to remember is that NQ is going to have to push on all the downhills to have any chance of putting time into Tommy and as we have seen, it is not exactly his strongest suit.

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but has NQ gained any more time today? 

Archived