Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No ice at waterpoints for riders???? Is this true???? Saw a post on Cape Epic FB page someone posted

Ag no man.. really.. that is just bad form..how much are the entries fees, and they can't supply ice.. hope at leat the liquids on offer were cold.

"Friends, This stage of the Epic - 102km, 2300m climbing. He thinks it's one of the toughest stages of this race because of the heat. Then he talks about it being like riding on the Beach  . . . . They are both feeling good about riding again tomorrow"

:-)

I call bullsheet,,,,vetseuns explanation made much more sense

Less edited ;)

I call bullsheet,,,,vetseuns explanation made much more sense

Less edited ;)

At one point he was asking where "that CAPS guy from the East Rand" was" . . .

just sayin'

And if your name is Karl Platt and you have won this comp 5 times before with bar ends?

Welcome to The Hub.

Some of us that have been here a while are acutely aware of the fact that the combination of bar ends AND riser bars, can irritate NSBB tremendously.... Now if Her Karl can win that elusive number 6, maybe saddle bags will become fashionable.... Just ask his former partner who has designed Sahmurai's....

It's a lot of money to "DNF" on day one. Imagine explaining that . . . .

See it as a very expensive goodie bag. Happened to me a few years back on a big race too. I was absolutely gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AbsaCapeEpic: Stage 2 shortened to 62km. Will finish at Caledon Botanical Gardens. Please advise spectators and family members. Further info at the start chute.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, weather related. They expect extreme heat and humidity.

But still 1500m ascent over the 62km.... no walk in the park (according to press release on the epic site)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Stood on Rotary Drive on the mountain above the start village yesterday, thats about 5km in with a decent climb to start, but 90% tar.

A significant number of people in the back groups looked totally 'cooked' at that stage already. That's just lack of conditioning or acclimatisation (N Hemisphere) in my view.

Add to that the heat and the fact the last 30km had no water stops and was a sandy track.

But the fact is simple - too many people simply buying their way in and hoping for the best - its gets worse every year.  

At least the stage did not get cancelled

Precedent set, cancellation will be next. Changes entire race, less suffering, more recovery.

It is a balancing act, keep it one if the toughest races in the world or cater for larger crowds who can afford it.

Stood on Rotary Drive on the mountain above the start village yesterday, thats about 5km in with a decent climb to start, but 90% tar.

A significant number of people in the back groups looked totally 'cooked' at that stage already. That's just lack of conditioning or acclimatisation (N Hemisphere) in my view.

Add to that the heat and the fact the last 30km had no water stops and was a sandy track.

But the fact is simple - too many people simply buying their way in and hoping for the best - its gets worse every year.

Perhaps the organisers should contemplate having qualifying criteria like with the Comrades marathon?

But also how do you know that you are fully prepared for something like this?

So many variables are in play

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Archived