Built or Fiberglass Swimming Pool

Vetseun

They make a really useful water storage tank for when municipal water is off....

I have hooked up a pipe to one of my roof gutters over the entertainment area next to the pool - so it's full after the last weeks rain, now I need to find a way to use the backwash water to water the garden with - better than nothing I guess.

Backwash into a tank, put some flocculant in, and push the water back into the pool.

I haven't got there yet, but another home owner in our complex has done so. One day, I'll ask for more details on how it really works - we just don't see eye to eye.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they also make much better garden features if you really want a pool. My uncle in law built one at his BnB in Addo

http://www.lovetostay.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Rosedale-Organic-Farm-BB_2.jpg

Nice. Very nice.

Do you have a contact for me. I would live to do one on a farm...

Pool structure or pool filtration?

Do a survey on what lies beneath the surface/bedrock etc

Based on that decide which is the best route to go and spend the most you can..

House I was living in until recently had a big pool - 12m x 6m with a overflow - infinity pool, that cost the owner 250k 10 years ago with not a stich of a problem to this day.

It's a salt pool so maintenance is min.

But I scheme a reed pool would be the better way to go in terms of no chemicals no fuss..

We have had a few pools over the years. 

My favourite would have to be the salt chlorination.

However the natural filtration systems are extremely appealing

I have a drop in fiberglass and the thing cracked, it is a mission to sort(have to pull the whole thing out to repair) so i would definitely go with a concrete option next time.

Nice. Very nice.

there is lots of info on the net, including doing your own design.

but make sure you know what you are doing. It starts to get complicated when you add fish and things. I wanted a plug, play forget model. Not a chance. After chatting to a few people they said a normal swimming pool is easier to maintain.

start here:

http://www.naturalswimmingpools.co.za/home.shtml

they give 3 types of quotes, plans and you do it, with 3 consultations to help you out if you stuck.

plans and they assit you to do it and extra consultaions to make it happen

and then the "they do everything" quote.

for other ideas, and additional info:

http://www.wetlandpools.co.za/

http://www.rainharvest.co.za/2010/05/what-is-a-natural-swimming-pool/

Natural pools are cool from an eco perspective. I looked into all options a few years ago. The slimy bottom of the eco pools put my wife off. They have a tendency to grow stuff on the sides and the bottom apparently. Part of the ecosystem.... 

We didn't get one in the end. Budget was blown on other building works.

I have a small fibre glass pool, about 32 000 litres. I am very happy with it. Easier on the feet, and seems to use less chemicals than the marble plaster one.

My advise to anyone is to get the smallest pool possible. Most kids are happy with anything on a hot day, don't need to train for the Olympics in it.

Also, have you considered a Jacuzzi.

I have a small fibre glass pool, about 32 000 litres. I am very happy with it. Easier on the feet, and seems to use less chemicals than the marble plaster one.

My advise to anyone is to get the smallest pool possible. Most kids are happy with anything on a hot day, don't need to train for the Olympics in it.

Also, have you considered a Jacuzzi.

I've had both, and small pools are just as much of a pain in the @rse to maintain. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've resorted to using blu52 these days... :mellow:

Nice. Very nice.

not really...but there is apparently a plethora of information on the requirements and what you need to do

I've had both, and small pools are just as much of a pain in the @rse to maintain. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've resorted to using blu52 these days... :mellow:

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  Always had problems with my pool and then started using Blu52 and had no problems. Someone here on the hub still said I will have big problems with that stuff but used it for 6 years when I sold the house and had no problems with the pool otherwise.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've resorted to using blu52 these days... :mellow:

Genuine question asked out of ignorance.

what is the issue with Blu52 ?