The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

{flamesuit on}

I hear all of your comments about dopers...

However, he has paid his penalty (2 years is a very long time for a professional racer) and is (legally) allowed to race again.  We should let him be.  I, for one, am happy he is racing well.  Having said that, my money and support goes to Jeannie!  GO GIRL!

Anyone have any idea how much sleep time last year's winner had?

In the last day or so there was alot of maths and talking about how little the RMB change a life rider had taken (apologies I forget his name). Many hubbers thought he would crack, others saw a similarity to what martin (a guiding hand in his prep) had done in the past. 

This thing has not even started yet. 

In the last day or so there was alot of maths and talking about how little the RMB change a life rider had taken (apologies I forget his name). Many hubbers thought he would crack, others saw a similarity to what martin (a guiding hand in his prep) had done in the past. 

This thing has not even started yet. 

John Ntuli

And to re-iterate: Jeannie is married to Martin!

She knows what she is doing.  Also, she has a huge adventure racing background

I have no experience of this extreme type of event but I have done a few 24hr races solo and in the last 3 I have not slept at all. Just kept going. I find that if I sleep I wake up all miff and take time to just get going ..... sleep deprivation in 24 hours is not really an issue but for the time these guys are spending out I think it definitely has an effect?

I think sleep deprivation has differing effects on people, some cope really well and some are messed up fairly quickly but this length of time for sleep deprivation is a whole different ball game. 

I agree. I think Brandon lacks adventure racing experience and that is why he may struggle to win this event. Adventure racing is very different.

The Dreyers have to be one of the best teams out there for managing an event of this nature.

Interesting, also, to see how well Mike Woolnough is doing. He must be in his mid fifties. His adventure racing experience is extensive.

Racing the event aside, just RIDING The Munga is a serious test of human endurance & character. Very inspiring.....huge RESPECT!

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but an interesting aside on another extreme event connecting Jeannie and KevBenky...

Benky convinced the Dreyers to do join him to do an Everesting on Sani Pass late in September last year. Kevin was already into the Everesting scene, but the Sani would have been the first on gravel in SA, and also the first 'steep' one (ie climb the 8848m in less than 200km).

The weather turned around Wednesday, and by the time they started, the pass was a slippery mess, with winds reaching gale force and snow falling on the slopes.

Kevin abandoned somewhere around halfway into the attempt due to hypothermia and tummy problems (I think), but did come back to complete the last loop with the Dreyers.

Totally different set of circumstances this time round for them. For me, pretty much the same challenge: trying not to check for updates every 5 minutes...

I think sleep deprivation has differing effects on people, some cope really well and some are messed up fairly quickly but this length of time for sleep deprivation is a whole different ball game. 

It is also hugely varying in the same person. The experience of dealing with it and staying positive is the one thing you learn.

The other thing is to sleep early and leave gas in the tank. We always try to get 3 hours kip in the 1st 24 hours of an AR so that we have something 'banked'. 

The same as blowing like a top... 

I also know that I struggle in the 1st 24 hours but from hours 40 onwards my body adjusts and kicks into action mode.

Some people beast the 1st 30 hours then just wander around in circles mumbling to themselves.

Early sleep, early eating, leaving gas in the tank is a really good strategy. going at 15kph for 600km the 7kph for 40 is far more damaging than going at 12kph for 1000km

Archived