Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour 2016

Skubarra

Province needs to step in and force road closures.

It's all very well taking the glory that the Argus brings the Western Cape, the payback needs to be supporting the bigger smaller races, The Stellenbosch Tour and the 99er are 2 that really need support from above.

99er and SA road champs same weekend in 2017 and both in same area at times - Wellington. Its not good for cycling and motorist relationships. Sent 99er organizers an email on Friday when I got my entry open notification - turn out CSA moved their champs a week earlier to accommodate the African champs.

But there really need to be a hierarchy and SA champs need to be at the top on the RSA calendar as it need to accommodate the UCI calendar. We all know what attention the commentary give the RSA national jersey events like the TDF and other world tour events - it major marketing for RSA. With the PPA road calendar so poor it’s a major shame the the National road champs and a seeding event for the Cape Town cycle tour again are clashing this year.

I suspect road management for both events will be compromised on the Saturday of the 99er.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my first event of this distance and what a blast!!!

Just a question... are earphones not against the rules in such a events? I spotted quite a few today and surely that is dangerous in a race??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reckless driving to the event and reckless cycling during the event...really crazy. I fully support road closure for safety...too many idiots around.

Just a question... are earphones not against the rules in such a events? I spotted quite a few today and surely that is dangerous in a race??

Yes. And yes. Sigh...

Results are out, and it seems that this race is going down in numbers every year. Even the finishing zone looked desolate compared to 3 years ago. Ever since Die Burger is not involved anymore things have been looking to go into a downwards spiral.

Did my first proper OTB today, luckily it was near the end so were able to limp home, but it is good by to the helmet, it served me well and took the brunt of a 30km/h fall. 

Overall REALLY enjoyed the race, from the awesome group from the Franschoek turn off till just before Wellington.

OK, that was fun, until I got a cramp where I never expected: my calf muscle. That was a first. Managed it from Blou Meul until the end, coming in at 3h46, almost 40 minutes faster than last year. I dropped most of my 3K bunch up Hels, and then picked up the stragglers from 3J, where I pulled them a bit to form a group. By the turn-off to Paarl we were a nice big bunch of mixed riders from 3F - 3K.

My son told me his hands were sort of OK after his crash last week, so he started in 1A, but was in 1C by the time he crested Hels. He told me those people in 1A end 1B are crazy sprinting from the start up Hels. He stayed in 1C for 60km when he started getting cramps for the very first time in his life. I told him that his muscles have developed much more since last year, and so he just have to do longer training rides. He is now at that age where he is ready to up his game. He came in at 3h15, but he reckon he could have done a sub 3 if it were not for the cramps.

Think I might have been in that bunch too, it was Huuugggeee

Results are out, and it seems that this race is going down in numbers every year. Even the finishing zone looked desolate compared to 3 years ago. Ever since Die Burger is not involved anymore things have been looking to go into a downwards spiral.

No goodie bag, no lucky draws. Seriously dangerous cycling with no road closures....

Hope someone pulls up there socks for next year.....

I see progressively more and more people wearing earphones during training and events

I've tried convincing some guys during the 94.7 not to use them (as they were really scary on the road), with a less than successful outcome

Against road/traffic regulations/law as well...

No goodie bag, no lucky draws. Seriously dangerous cycling with no road closures....

Hope someone pulls up there socks for next year.....

It would be better if they at least go through Paarl with road closures, than the very dangerous Agter-Paarl road where motorists come past you at speed, which is also much more busy than the other roads used in the event. Maybe turn off at Blou Meul, go through Paarl, and then back to Klapmuts.

there was an older rider down somewhere along the return leg. He was just laying on the ground. couldn't see his bike anywhere or any visible injuries. Amberlamps was in attendance. I hope it was a simple case of exhaustion.

oh and at the second watering station, was interesting watching someones bike getting crunched by a support vehicle. Clever rider just ditched his bike on the gravel in the middle of nowhere while getting his coke. Think his fork and front wheel were.... well.. forked.

It's all very well taking the glory that the Argus brings the Western Cape, the payback needs to be supporting the bigger smaller races, The Stellenbosch Tour and the 99er are 2 that really need support from above.

Carbon, can't agree with you more... You were part of PPA, any insights on why the success of the Argus is not feeding down to events like this one?

Hard for me to comprehend why we have one event in the WC attracting 30K+ people and then the next biggest one attracts 4K and is stagnating. Got a shock in this week when someone told me "back in the day" Die Burger Sanlam used to attract up to 12K people!

Seems the SCT is stuck in no-mans land, too big an event to be safe/enjoyable on roads not closed for traffic, not quite big enough to justify road closures? I wish there was appetite from PPA to grow this event more aggressively and get full road closures.

It feels like the bunches started too close together. Between paarl and wellington we were one MASSIVE bunch. The rollers managed to thin things out about

My son told me his hands were sort of OK after his crash last week, so he started in 1A, but was in 1C by the time he crested Hels. He told me those people in 1A end 1B are crazy sprinting from the start up Hels. He stayed in 1C for 60km when he started getting cramps for the very first time in his life. I told him that his muscles have developed much more since last year, and so he just have to do longer training rides. He is now at that age where he is ready to up his game. He came in at 3h15, but he reckon he could have done a sub 3 if it were not for the cramps.

The 1 minute gaps are not nearly enough, started in 1A, before the last riders of % were around the first corner we were off. About 20 of us managed to close the gap and caught % just after Helz (thanks to the Pure Savage rider who put in a few massive turns up front as we were closing in on them)

Was pretty nice sitting in the % bus knowing that you got a 1 minute gap on just about everyone else in the group, just had to finish with the bunch to finish with a faster time than everyone in %  :devil: (so that drop in seeding turned out to be a blessing in disguise)

Morodin - there was a number of strong juniors starting with us in 1A, seems they are not allowed to start further upfront, was wondering if your son bridged the gap to % with us, luckily the young guy will still get many more chances.  :thumbup:

Had a good ride.  Organisation was on target - thanks to all the marshals and volunteers.

But....

Way too dangerous.  1D caught 1C (plus stragglers from other groups).  Riders forced over the white line through no fault of their own - just way too many cyclists in the same place at the same time.

A bottle was dropped in the group at one point causing everyone to scatter.  Riders on the right hand side were forced into oncoming traffic.  If it had happened 200 meters down the road there would have been head on collisions...   

Archived