The Classics

'Dale

Saw this tweet from Race Radio..now This is a story!! Maybe DDD should try and convince their riders to follow this example..

Remember this? Last year Evaldas Siskevicius

did everything to finish Paris-Roubaix. He was outside the time limit and had to convince security at the velodrome to open the gates.

He finished 9th today

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this tweet from Race Radio..now This is a story!! Maybe DDD should try and convince their riders to follow this example..

Remember this? Last year Evaldas Siskevicius

did everything to finish Paris-Roubaix. He was outside the time limit and had to convince security at the velodrome to open the gates.

He finished 9th today

https://youtu.be/qvHfa_R8eF8

I like the sentiment, but sometimes you need to be real and practical about things.

Elite Marathon runners are known to throw in the towel early if their bodies aren't performing and they can't maintain race pace, no point in pushing your body to a point of causing damage just to finish something as intense as a 2h15 marathon. Rather bail and allow the body to recover.

BUT! There is something very wrong at DDD compared to their first breakout season, can't put my finger on it. Anybody know what their best Classics placing was this year?

I like the sentiment, but sometimes you need to be real and practical about things.

Elite Marathon runners are known to throw in the towel early if their bodies aren't performing and they can't maintain race pace, no point in pushing your body to a point of causing damage just to finish something as intense as a 2h15 marathon. Rather bail and allow the body to recover.

BUT! There is something very wrong at DDD compared to their first breakout season, can't put my finger on it. Anybody know what their best Classics placing was this year?

I agree, there is no need to be a "hero" at this level of the sport.- rather live to fight another day.

Re TDD- Their best classic result was a 9th place in the Brugge De Panne by Nizzolo. Kreuzinger came 20th in the Strade Bianche.

Maybe they will do better in the stage races starting with the Tour of Turkey today ... Cavendish and Gibbons for the sprints and O' Çonner for GC... the field is not super strong so I have some hope.... 

To be fair, that experience clearly helped him to a top ten this year - knowing when to quit is important for sure but the mental side of that experience paid dividends - Evaldas Siskevicius, no way I'm going to remember his name but I will remember his story

2018 LBL - 30th Slagter

2018 Lombardia - 70th Kudus

2019 Milan Sanremo - 20th Nizzolo

2019 Ronde - 32nd EBH

2019 Paris-Roubaix - 45th EBH

Performance in the last 5 classics for you. Grim ******* reading.

Agree 100% but there is a thin line between making the right call to ensure you able to come back stronger and quitting becoming a habit.The Dnf's in DD has been scary high this season some with reason but mostly unexplained...at some point you would think that just finishing the races becomes something that is required to get them back on track.

Very few results..loads and loads of DNF's. Maybe right now they are NOT top marathoners..and should not behave like ones.

To be fair, that experience clearly helped him to a top ten this year - knowing when to quit is important for sure but the mental side of that experience paid dividends - Evaldas Siskevicius, no way I'm going to remember his name but I will remember his story

learn to pronounce it once and you'll never forget it

Evaldas Šiškevičius

2018 LBL - 30th Slagter

2018 Lombardia - 70th Kudus

2019 Milan Sanremo - 20th Nizzolo

2019 Ronde - 32nd EBH

2019 Paris-Roubaix - 45th EBH

Performance in the last 5 classics for you. Grim ******* reading.

well DDD only had one DNF at PRoubaix, DQS had 2.

well DDD only had one DNF at PRoubaix, DQS had 2.

Ja well,,,the one guy rode into a street sign (keisse) and was man down, Tim de clerq was on Domestique duties. so still respect. 

Ja well,,,the one guy rode into a street sign (keisse) and was man down, Tim de clerq was on Domestique duties. so still respect. 

Okay Wolfpack. Reel it in.