The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the whole race and it was worth it. Van de poel has amazing bike handling skills. Like he said you need a bit of luck as well to win. Would have liked to see a head to head race with him and Wout.

4 hours ago, 'Dale said:

That is why I answered, Jbr.

Also, spare a thought for the legendary Peter Sagan who also crashed out today after crashing out at Tour of Flanders last week. Met eish.

Now time to reset, taper, carb up and prepare for the Giro d' Italia. 🥰

CB71335C-641E-40C5-A166-FE9452148EDC.jpeg

Maybe...time to...dare I say it. 

6 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Are we allowed to quote Lance Armstrong or watch his podcast without getting slaughtered on the hub. Asking for a friend  

Go for it. I listen to his podcast. 

Watched the 3 hour replay now as we were on the road this afternoon. 

What a crazy race this is, luck plays a massive part in winning this. It could just as well have been MvdP going down when Degenkolb hit the deck. Or maybe, his handling skills is what won him the race as any other rider might have gone down alongside Degenkolb... 

Gutted for Wout, that blooming puncture robbed us of an epic 2-up sprint in the velodrome, where he just might have been able to pip MvdP. (But honestly, I think MvdP wins in such scenario too). 

Well played Alpecin, worthy reward being 1-2 today. They bossed the race. 

Absolutely an insane edition, unfortunately my pick King Kung couldn’t do it, but to be there when the selection was made was a great ride. So this goes down as the fastest edition in this the 120th time of PR. Team tactics was huge today, we were semi transported back to the days of Mapei! A lot of strong players were not to be, and to see Sagan going out in his last race was a bitter pill to swallow! Amazing that hanging around the front would be the undoing of many. As for mechanical issues, we see no group set is immune to the ghosts of pave, but a certain team sure slipped on a banana! 
Now it’s time to reflect of what could have been for riders like Ganna and Perderson, both have good form, so I’m expecting some strong performances in the coming races. But I think the later would do well at Amstel Gold. The next big one in terms of Classics for me will be LBL, I think Jumbo will try to make good there. 

11 hours ago, reteid said:

I watched the whole race and it was worth it. Van de poel has amazing bike handling skills. Like he said you need a bit of luck as well to win. Would have liked to see a head to head race with him and Wout.

Agree, it was so disappointing and unfortunate for Wout to puncture at exactly the wrong moment ... 😪.

Very sad as a big Wout fan !!!

Jumbo Visma in Paris Roubaix

2022:
Laporte: Multiple Mechanicals (Including wheel breaking down)
Van Aert: 2x Mechanical (One on Arenberg)

2023:
Laporte: Mech. on Arenberg
Van Aert: 2x Mech. (One on Carrefour)

Time to question equipment instead of accepting it as bad luck?

10 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Maybe...time to...dare I say it. 

He is retiring at the end of the season.... But I get the feeling he clocked out a long time ago.

Two stunning images captured by Jered Gruber.
One reflecting glory and the exasperation of the fans; the other picture depicting the loneliness and sheer exhaustion of Stybar on the other end of the spectrum. 

2FA1C8A2-121B-4032-B4AB-F5425129115C.jpeg

701EBC0B-5A26-474D-A6F4-BB7896EA8043.jpeg

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Shame... he lost so much time in that bike change, wonder what's wrong with the drivetrain that he didn't even try to put the chain back on... but I mean.. finishing the race with a skew headset wouldn't have been ideal.

From that angle VdP's handling looks more impressive there than when he avoided that barrier

5 hours ago, jcza said:

Jumbo Visma in Paris Roubaix

2022:
Laporte: Multiple Mechanicals (Including wheel breaking down)
Van Aert: 2x Mechanical (One on Arenberg)

2023:
Laporte: Mech. on Arenberg
Van Aert: 2x Mech. (One on Carrefour)

Time to question equipment instead of accepting it as bad luck?

Team DSM and Jumbo were using on-the-fly adjustable tyre pressures. Could this have been the issue with WVA?