The Classics

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Cycling must be the hardest sport to call an outright winner on, There are far too many variables in play to ever have a dead cert favourite, 

but since you're such a wiseguy, let's get your pick on who will get a piece of rock on sunday. here's the latest odds to help you out.

image.png.672fe192728928e22ae9866b94415075.png

I'll take that as a compliment!! thanks very much!!!

Heart says MVDP, head says WvA, but actually, why not Bettiol from a monster breakaway? If I found odds on him and he won, I'd be wise and rich! (actually, I checked... ~200:1)

If De Lie has no complications, he'd be good money too. Doesn't have the strongest team, but maybe under the radar at the business end of the race

I will stick my neck out and predict more disappointment for Lefevre though - OK, that's a heart-choice too...

Another prediction for you - this won't be a straightforward race - there will be incidents that affect the outcome; perhaps crashes, and/or mechanicals, but the smartest and luckiest will escape and that will make the difference.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

um, pretty sure seeing the whole peleton walking up the cobbles is not a good luck for most.

going to state the obvious here, but the interest is lower because....

*the men's racing is more exciting

*it's more exciting because of the depth of field

*you don't have the depth of field because the pro peleton is miles behind in terms of development at every level

*it's miles behind because...history. RVV mens races started in 1913, women's 90yrs later in 2004

chicken and egg scenario, the women's field is growing in leaps and bounds, but coming from a low base. build it and they will come.

Sure it is not a good look but puts things into perspective, that is the way I am looking at it, the mens field make things look easy especially with the depth of the field, and they literally just smash through sections at such an unbelievable pace, which adds a whole other perspective to it.

I agree with you that due to history the women's field and women's sport as a whole is behind, will it catch up? I doubt it, but I think it has the potential to be much bigger than what it is, and the crowds should be happy to see even more cycling, their beer drinking can wait another 30 mins.

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

I'll take that as a compliment!! thanks very much!!!

Heart says MVDP, head says WvA, but actually, why not Bettiol from a monster breakaway? If I found odds on him and he won, I'd be wise and rich! (actually, I checked... ~200:1)

If De Lie has no complications, he'd be good money too. Doesn't have the strongest team, but maybe under the radar at the business end of the race

I will stick my neck out and predict more disappointment for Lefevre though - OK, that's a heart-choice too...

Another prediction for you - this won't be a straightforward race - there will be incidents that affect the outcome; perhaps crashes, and/or mechanicals, but the smartest and luckiest will escape and that will make the difference.

It's only a compliment if you say it before it happens, so if you did, then well done. A Bettiol win would be quite a coup, especially looking at his past month. so put your money where your mouth is (you can get 250/1 on him)!

image.png.372497170871e3091b61969059e2be0a.png

I have physically put small change on De Lie (41/1) Ganna (10/1) and Demare (201/1). just to keep things interesting. Almost guaranteed to lose it all.

I’ll go with a tier 2 rider winning on Sunday from a surprise move that WvA and MvdP feel they didn’t have to chase down. If one of them happens to win, then it’s the obvious pick that almost everyone would go with.

Based on the start list currently:
De Lie
Kristoff
García Cortina
Pederson
Vanmarke

2022 Results:

image.png.6216be17afcdb3de52d54b7204dbf60c.png

Outside of WvA and MvdP, who are deserved favorites with their recent run of form, I think Mohoric is in with a solid chance as a dark horse that can slip away without an immediate reaction from the favourites.:

image.png.e12c9f35338029a4df4615a4dcd58b35.png

Stefan Kung is my other dark horse with 6th at E3 and 6th at Ronde.

image.png.26f88e7e56f88848e761aead1a3239ce.png

I think the biggest determiner of success for WvA and MvdP is whether their teammates can be there as long as possible to keep covering the attacks before they are ready to launch their own.

2-up sprint between the two Cyclo-crossers in the velodrome...? YES PLEASE!

56 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I’ll go with a tier 2 rider winning on Sunday from a surprise move that WvA and MvdP feel they didn’t have to chase down. If one of them happens to win, then it’s the obvious pick that almost everyone would go with.

Based on the start list currently:
De Lie
Kristoff
García Cortina
Pederson
Vanmarke

Good thinking... Take Kristoff off your list though... He'll have burnt all his matches by winning Scheldeprijs today... 😁

Paris-Roubaix 1896

The winner, Josef Fischer, had a lead of 23 minutes until he was almost knocked off by a horse and was then halted by cows. When Fischer entered the velodrome in Roubaix he was covered in filth and blood. Only three other riders finished within an hour, all in similar conditions.

image.jpeg.abe1531e6ceba76b7e65f88dda4721eb.jpeg

It is absolutely astounding how these riders actually finished this race on those bikes! At an average of 30km/h as well.

You all are quite courageous to place your bets before the INRNG previews https://inrng.com/ 
He is on the money more often than not.

In terms of my own prediction - the previous time we had a winner that was sort of predicted was 2018 in Sagan. So I think it is time one of the big favourites take a win again. WVA has something to prove after his lackluster (by his standards) performance on Sunday, so going with him. 

PB- it’s not the strongest who wins… we’ve seen it time and time again how the strong have failed. This is about staying out of trouble, and tactics. I think the best person who can testify to that is Robert Hunter. I’m going for an outsider, the pave has always favoured the brave! Let’s see if Fred Wright can get into the mix or do we see Kung arrive solo into the Velodrome?

4 minutes ago, betaboy said:

PB- it’s not the strongest who wins… we’ve seen it time and time again how the strong have failed. This is about staying out of trouble, and tactics. I think the best person who can testify to that is Robert Hunter. I’m going for an outsider, the pave has always favoured the brave! Let’s see if Fred Wright can get into the mix or do we see Kung arrive solo into the Velodrome?

Where does Robert fit into this? 

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

Good thinking... Take Kristoff off your list though... He'll have burnt all his matches by winning Scheldeprijs today... 😁

Thanks, I've switched off all things racing matters on Sunday. Will switch on again this Sunday.

22 minutes ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Where does Robert fit into this? 

… have to back pedal to the years when he was in the thick of things… up against stronger teams and of course tactics, he could sure tell us how the game is played on the cobbles. 👍🏻