Hubber BDF down on Hendrik Potgieter

Formallyknownas

...but the speed limit is 90 and lets face it, even with cameras et al it will not change the mindset of people...

Sad but true. Until the law gets tough and puts people in jail, there won't be any change. Cyclists should be seen as an endangered species, do not harm them! Dung beetles in the Addo Elephant Park are more protected and warned against than cyclists.

As soon as one generation of drivers is "educated" to respect cyclists, that "educated" driver's 17 year old brother/sister cannot wait to get their licence to be able to go out and party (aka drink) with mates. And the carnage starts again.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mod Note:

Lets keep this thread to the original intention and to pass on condolences. Discussion about the actions of the other party can be discussed elsewhere.

I have shared this thread with my mom(Marge) and Bryne's wife(Herma). They are deeply touched by the comments.

I know it anyway, but it means a lot to know he was loved by so many and that he lived a life that mattered to others.

Anthony, in the short time that I knew Bryne he made such positive impact on my outlook on life.

Over a coffee recently, he gave me a piece of advice that I will never forget. He said to me; "Andre, nobody has ever been on their death bed and wished that they had worked harder or made more money, use your time wisely for things that really matter, family, friends and making a difference."

Those were his exact words, I will always cherish that conversation, it genuinely made a change in me.

RIP Bryne.

Never met you in person, but always enjoyed your posts.

Condolences to his family, this is never easy.

I registered on this forum just to say thank you for the thoughts, prayers and condolences from this cycling community.

The Cyclist is my brother, Bryne Forgey. He was tragically killed when an oncoming car lost control after swerving and crossed over the road killing him instantly.  He lived in Strubens Valley, so Hendrik Potgieter was one of the roads he frequented on his bike.  

He died while doing something he really loved.  

I will miss him terribly, we were very close.

He was 51 years of age

His wife and two teenage children are broken.

Condolences to you and his family!!

RIP Bryne

Anthony, in the short time that I knew Bryne he made such positive impact on my outlook on life.

Over a coffee recently, he gave me a piece of advice that I will never forget. He said to me; "Andre, nobody has ever been on their death bed and wished that they had worked harder or made more money, use your time wisely for things that really matter, family, friends and making a difference."

Those were his exact words, I will always cherish that conversation, it genuinely made a change in me.

He said those same words to me once too, and he lived them himself.  We had a boss who was always about the job, Bryne was the counter balance, who brought calmness and reason to the conversations.  He always put the people first, and led by example. 

I was privileged to  have him as a mentor and friend, and will always carry his lessons and example with me.  The messages here and on other platforms bear testament to the man he was! 

Tough to read of another thread of a rider passing but such amazing comments and sentiments Strongs to the family and condolences to all who knew Bryne and were lucky enough to have ridden with him or just shared a chat. 

More and more of these stories and it's genuinely so sad to hear them and you realize just how dangerous it is out there.

RIP fellow hubber. Condolences to the family.

I registered on this forum just to say thank you for the thoughts, prayers and condolences from this cycling community.

The Cyclist is my brother, Bryne Forgey. He was tragically killed when an oncoming car lost control after swerving and crossed over the road killing him instantly.  He lived in Strubens Valley, so Hendrik Potgieter was one of the roads he frequented on his bike.  

He died while doing something he really loved.  

I will miss him terribly, we were very close.

He was 51 years of age

His wife and two teenage children are broken.

RIP BF.  Condolences to the family staying behind.  God Bless

So sad reading this - remember admiring his avatar, a little cyclist clearly made by his son...  :blush:

Also seals the deal on me selling up the road bike. I can revisit the idea of road riding roulette when my kids have grown up - it shouldn't be like this, but it is (for now).

Too close to home. Too often. Too tragic

RIP Bryne

Thanks Anthony for coming on here - strongs to the whole family at his tough time

post-3544-0-41542200-1480325955.jpeg

Archived