Hubber BDF down on Hendrik Potgieter

Formallyknownas

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I registered on this forum just to say thank you for the thoughts, prayers and condolences from this cycling community.

The Cyclist is my brother, Bryne Forgey. He was tragically killed when an oncoming car lost control after swerving and crossed over the road killing him instantly.  He lived in Strubens Valley, so Hendrik Potgieter was one of the roads he frequented on his bike.  

He died while doing something he really loved.  

I will miss him terribly, we were very close.

He was 51 years of age

His wife and two teenage children are broken.

Hello Anthony

My deepest condolences to you and his Family.

May he RIP.

Prayers to you during this troubled time.

David

So sad to read this.

My condolences to the Forgey family and friends, my prayers and thoughts are with you.

I am completely overwhelmed with sadness. Only just read this thread and seen that's it's Bryne. I met by him at thaba one day by chance and we had a 30 min chat in the middle of our ride about everything bicycle related . What an absolute gentleman who gave me the feeling he lived for his family.

My sincerest & heartfelt condolences to his family . This is deeply disturbing and saddening . I hope somehow the family finds solace in this time of grief & sadness.

RIP Bryne ...hope that morewood serves you well in whatever place you find yourself.

Sadly that is the bike he was riding at the time of the accident, I have also realized by looking at the pics that I saw him riding last week - I was on my way home and it looked like he was on an afternoon pedal...don't see a Morewood like that everyday.

Sadly that is the bike he was riding at the time of the accident, I have also realized by looking at the pics that I saw him riding last week - I was on my way home and it looked like he was on an afternoon pedal...don't see a Morewood like that everyday.

And it was a special one. Was the last Zulu in that run.

And it was a special one. Was the last Zulu in that run.

. I remember him and I discussed that we had the same bike.[emoji17] I am so sad about his loss. I feel for his family and friends, he seemed to be a magic guy.

I see Bryne posted this in the https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/93073-where-has-your-bike-taken-you-today/ thread. Somehow it seems like his bike will forever be waiting for him.

Pedal in Peace, Bryne. To your family, I pray God will hold and comfort them in your absence.

attachicon.gifpost-43948-0-70806500-1479998607.jpg

Gut wrenching stuff.

I remember staring at that photo of his - beautiful shot and it seemed so serene.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Anthony, if it isn't too much to ask, would you be able to update this thread in regards to what actions have been taken against the driver.

Anthony, if it isn't too much to ask, would you be able to update this thread in regards to what actions have been taken against the driver.

The detective told me today that it is standard procedure to charge for culpable homicide and they are pursuing that route to court. I've been told that I will be contacted about the court date and time.

Not good to browse through the forum after being offline for most part of the day.

Condolences to the family. Not much words can say that could make it feel any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you again for all of your messages.  It is a real encouragement to us.  I was reading some of the posts to Herma (Bryne's wife) and her sister earlier and it brought us to tears.

I shuffle awkwardly behind these remarks of thanks as if they may carry some insightful weight of felt appreciation but the truth is I have insufficient words to appropriately express what it means to us...

I had to identify his broken body today. It went better than I anticipated. I was anticipating a pivotal emotional moment but as I looked at his body I had the surreal experience like I was simply looking at a broken container - Bryne was gone from it.  

Then I went to the site of the accident.  His blood still stains the road. His broken oakleys were in the stormwater gulley. I felt heartsore seeing his blood still there.  I notices a few memorial crosses from previous accidents against the side of the road not too far from where his accident was.  

Tomorrow morning we finalise legal arrangements between the mortuary and the funeral home.  Wednesday we will go to home affairs to do what must be done there. On Wednesday afternoon I drive to Hoedspruit and overnight there to fetch my daughter from school after she finishes her last exam at 10:30 on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon we will be back home in JHB.  Friday 11 am is the memorial service.

Thank you all, again

Archived