Hubber BDF down on Hendrik Potgieter

Formallyknownas

Sad to hear is one of our community. RIP fellow Hubber and thoughts an prayers to family and friends!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad to hear - condolences to his family and friends. 

I saw him last at the Mahala some weeks back and countless times before that at various other races.

What a tragic loss, Bryne was my boss some years back, and we became good friends, who shared a love of cycling. He will be missed by all who's life he touched! RIP BDF, condolences to the family.

To all of you... thank you for your kindness. I (and the family) really appreciate your very kind considerations.

He started cycling in the mid 80's because I was quite into it. I used to ride with Gary Beneke and Andy McLean back then. I haven't been on a bike competitively since 1990 (If I remember correctly) I was better on the track because I'm fat and road riding doesn't favour the fat. Bryne also stopped for some time but then got back into it probably around 10 or 15 years ago. He had a disturbingly high pain threshold and could ride harder than his fitness level as a result.

Although he enjoyed the road riding, he enjoyed MTB more. He often went to northern farms to ride, and over the past 2 years his son would join him on many of his rides. I'm grateful that yesterday was not one of those times.

Here's a pic of Bryne (BDF) that I found on this forum. His description for the photo was:" the absolute sufferfest that was the Ashburton Rooiberg race

here"s a couple of other posts with pics of him. I'm finding it quite cathartic reading some of his posts, enjoying his dry sense of humour (which we share) and seeing the pics of him enjoying his riding.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/93073-where-has-your-bike-taken-you-today/?view=findpost&p=2949340

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/93073-where-has-your-bike-taken-you-today/?view=findpost&p=2944437

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/93073-where-has-your-bike-taken-you-today/?view=findpost&p=2932023

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/156476-retro-road-ride-saturday-january-23-alberton/?view=findpost&p=2791023

One of the nicest posts I've read in ages. So desperately sad for you and your family right now Anthony. RIP BDF.

I interacted with Bryne on numerous occasions and enjoyed his posts...

RIP Bryne,

Only had limited interaction with him via the Classifieds of The Hub -  a true gentleman, loved his sport, loved his family.

Somehow feeling quite emotional reading this and looking at the family pic. Prayers for the family.

rip, i passed there yesterday in the car and found it very ironic to see a bike rack on car with a smashed windscreen... i can tell you it was HIGH speed

...thinking of future safety ...

With the high speeds on HP... and plenty of cyclists using HP... surely they can put up permanent speed cameras ? and reduce the speed to say 80 ?

...this could actually save lives ...

Is there anyone we can speak to about improving safety on HP ?

This is just so sad! 

Anthony, REALLY appreciate you taking the time and finding the courage to let the community Bryne was such an active participant in share in this loss with you, as many of us feel affected by this, as if we too have lost someone near and dear! 

This may just appear as words on a screen but behind each one is a tight group of people from all walks across this globe who interact on all things here and BDF was someone who showed his true humanity and good nature in the way he always conducted himself! Your brother was seriously a stand up chap and as much as I personally never 'met' him, as is the case for many of us here, we 'knew' each other! He will genuinely be missed! 

Deepest condolences to you and the family! 

Aaah fek.. It's sad enough when it's someone you don't know.. But when it's someone you interact with it makes it more real.

Very sad news indeed.deepest sympathies to your family Anthony.RIP Bryne!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Archived