Garmin 520 recording issue

Furbz

So i think my Garmin 520 might be faulty.

i noticed that my last months worth of training i have these odd readings where cadence, speed and heart rate did not record for anything from a few seconds to up to 3 minutes.

at first i thought it odd. i seemingly don't look at my headunit that often and have missed these episodes while on the ride - up until today.

i noticed on my ride while climbing a hill, my power, cadence, speed and heart rate stopped reading. the unit then showed it had disconnected from my phone. shortly after this all the fields started displaying again - however the unit then said the ride had been uploaded??

very odd.

anyone experiencing the same issue? maybe firmware? or hardware?

i have attached a few screen shots out a Golden Cheetah to display the issue.

i am curious as i noted my garmin vs Polar GPS show up to 2km difference on the same ride - i'm beginning to suspect i might have a issue?

these are both purely GPS readings.

post-19822-0-09199500-1482253236_thumb.png

post-19822-0-87894200-1482253236_thumb.png

post-19822-0-64306900-1482253237_thumb.png

post-19822-0-36044800-1482253238_thumb.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this on an IDT? Was your Garmin synced to an IDT such as Wahoo?

these were all dont on the road. not on a indoor trainer

I don't know what's wrong but you mentioned possibly software. Just for info, when I plugged mine into my pc today to charge, Garmin connect upgraded my software to version 10.0

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Garmin has a ($#&$ load of issues with ANT+ signal dropping the past few months.

They don't want to admit to it but I have seen serious issues on my side also.

The answer is to move the unit from the out front mount to the stem. 

And it actually works.

I still get the odd HR signal drop though......

I don't know what's wrong but you mentioned possibly software. Just for info, when I plugged mine into my pc today to charge, Garmin connect upgraded my software to version 10.0

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Mine updated a few days ago to 10.0, but if i look back the issue comes in before then

Garmin has a ($#&$ load of issues with ANT+ signal dropping the past few months.

They don't want to admit to it but I have seen serious issues on my side also.

The answer is to move the unit from the out front mount to the stem. 

And it actually works.

I still get the odd HR signal drop though......

Legit? seems odd. my unit can connect to my power pedals from a good 3m away 

nb this was everything stopped working. then it said it uploaded the file - which didn't happen.

bizarre

Use my 520 daily, none of the same issues. I think it's a great device!

I know there were some software issues - don't upgrade software with bluetooth, plug in to PC.

Upgraded from Edge 500 which had issues with HR spikes 240+ ! I suggest take it to Navworld, their service is really good, they'll fix it or just give you a new one - That's why we buy GARMIN...

Use my 520 daily, none of the same issues. I think it's a great device!

I know there were some software issues - don't upgrade software with bluetooth, plug in to PC.

Upgraded from Edge 500 which had issues with HR spikes 240+ ! I suggest take it to Navworld, their service is really good, they'll fix it or just give you a new one - That's why we buy GARMIN...

agree, love the device.

and

oops, have done all my updates via bluetooth...

buying chatting with garmin support at the moment.

i'll post back with feedback.

so far i have been told to try a factory reset - not really fond on this as i'd have to setup all my profiles again which is a painful process - Garmin should take a page out of Joules book and allow you to setup profiles on PC then send it to the head unit

Factory reset done.

Damn. Now i'm going to spend my morning setting up the 520 again.

will post back after a few rides with feedback

• 1 month later...

Right so a number of rides later and i can confirm the issue still remains.

Got feedback from Garmin to do a Master reset. which is painful as you then have to reset up everything including your riding profiles. 

I have done a number of rides since and the problem still remains.

My head unit disconnects from all external sensors then reconnects to them. (phone, cadence, power, heartrate)

This is what is leading to the loss of data.

The graph attached show heartrate disappearing (easiest to show you with), but Cadence and power also drop at these exact times.

ON THE UNITS SCREEN WHEN THE PROBLEM HAPPENS:

The unit shows me messages stating each of the sensors is disconnected.

Then within a minute or so reconnects to each of them.

So it seems to lose connection to all external devices whether they are Bluetooth(my phone) or ANT+(all other sensors).

anyone else experiencing this issue?

post-19822-0-40768900-1485845039_thumb.png

post-19822-0-98327800-1485845040_thumb.png

post-19822-0-77721400-1485845042_thumb.png

post-19822-0-24944200-1485845044_thumb.png

If I may throw a rock in the bush here ....

My Polar have similar problems when I am in the area of high power electrical lines.  Could this be the case?

I've experienced the same recording issue on consecutive rides in Dec. 

Cleared my activity history and reinstalled software. Sorted (for now)

I've noticed the odd event on the bike, most often HR where it reads less that what it should... 80bpm where it should be 140, or dropping out completely. Used another strap and it is sorted. For now. It seems. I hope

Mine has lost connection with the cadence sensor and I had to delete the sensor and then switched it off, and connected it again. Haven't had issues with it since.

I have not noticed any HR issues, but then again I do not scrutinise my data.

Factory reset done.

Damn. Now i'm going to spend my morning setting up the 520 again.

will post back after a few rides with feedback

Next time copy the files off using your PC... then reinstate them - works fine...

Right so a number of rides later and i can confirm the issue still remains.

Got feedback from Garmin to do a Master reset. which is painful as you then have to reset up everything including your riding profiles. 

I have done a number of rides since and the problem still remains.

My head unit disconnects from all external sensors then reconnects to them. (phone, cadence, power, heartrate)

This is what is leading to the loss of data.

The graph attached show heartrate disappearing (easiest to show you with), but Cadence and power also drop at these exact times.

ON THE UNITS SCREEN WHEN THE PROBLEM HAPPENS:

The unit shows me messages stating each of the sensors is disconnected.

Then within a minute or so reconnects to each of them.

So it seems to lose connection to all external devices whether they are Bluetooth(my phone) or ANT+(all other sensors).

anyone else experiencing this issue?

I don't experience this - but I have seen posts on a low battery condition in a power meter apparently causing something similar - it's discussed here somewhere a couple of weeks ago.

Archived