Somerset West Fires (now including paarl and stellies/jonkers)

dev  null

as it is fire season, the are not allowed to do controlled burns. they can only do controlled burns during winter and spring.

I think that is from June(might might be april) to October

The fire chief can override that. They did a controlled burn like this last year above stellies to stop the fire from reaching Coetzenburg and the Paradyskloof plantation. It worked. 

Do not for a moment think you can do that on a farm to preapre your soil for the planting season. Dan gaan jy pak kry. 

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fire chief can override that. They did a controlled burn like this last year above stellies to stop the fire from reaching Coetzenburg and the Paradyskloof plantation. It worked. 

Do not for a moment think you can do that on a farm to preapre your soil for the planting season. Dan gaan jy pak kry. 

Yep, big difference to back burning to stop a fire vs burning to make a fire break.

But anyway - you have a fire fighting thingy in the back of that fertilizer packed bakkie of yours. Remind me not to go the the mall anytime you are there :)

Yep, big difference to back burning to stop a fire vs burning to make a fire break.

But anyway - you have a fire fighting thingy in the back of that fertilizer packed bakkie of yours. Remind me not to go the the mall anytime you are there :)

Very true. I missed that.

Hey, my fire fighting thingy may just help a Kuga driver one day.

So its been raining in the Helderberg..... FFS, couldn't ride this morning.

I could almost hear my garden sigh a huge sigh of relief.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got any news on the fire currently burning in Paarl?

Is the wind blowing there and is it under control? Last I read was that it was not.

I was there this afternoon registering my son for tomorrow's XCO race at Slanghoek. There are quite a few fires in the Du Toits valley and they are letting it burn. No threats to any human settlements. There was no wind either. Tomorrow looks to be cooler than today. The smoke are making it look worse than it really is.

Never considered this before . . . .

https://youtu.be/3stMcfOavF8

Just over a year ago we were fighting in gail force winds a runaway fire "accidentally started by herdsmen" on top of the Dragons Tail, Eastern Cape. We arrived on Christmas day, with the fire already two days out of control. Six days after the start it was finally killed. It was a huge operation involving farming communities from afar. Those farmers were pretty well organised.

Blowers can be singled out as one of the most effective methods to combat a fire in any terrain by men on the ground. It is pretty impresive to wittnes this in the dark!

Can BIG drones or helicopters (helicopters would have it's own issues RE pilot safety) not also do the same thing using their down drafts?

I recall in the states they would use a helicopter to dry out a baseball pitch after rain.

Reasoning for the above, is that it can reach a hotspot faster whilst the control crews are on a nearby road. Can recall the drone and refuel/prepare it for it's next flight whilst in transit to the next hot spot.

This morning there was a fire towards the top of the plantation of Welvanpas (black route's side).

Hoping this will be under control after Du Toit's kloof burnt down last week.

Can BIG drones or helicopters (helicopters would have it's own issues RE pilot safety) not also do the same thing using their down drafts?

I recall in the states they would use a helicopter to dry out a baseball pitch after rain.

Reasoning for the above, is that it can reach a hotspot faster whilst the control crews are on a nearby road. Can recall the drone and refuel/prepare it for it's next flight whilst in transit to the next hot spot.

Too difficult to control the air blast with a heli or drone. You would need to blow the flames towards the already burnt material to starve the fire of combustible material.

Archived