Why Do I See So Many Cyclist Without Helmets?

Andrew_Smith

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/22e2c5ac424fbfb2cc3a3e8d1d48ecb9.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/5eda0395728ac820665a57a3a24049ec.jpg

In reference to the Australia vs Netherlands comparison you alluded to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that, I certainly see where your argument arises.

Here are my concerns:

1. This is lay media reporting on an interpretation of the literature. I would really like to see these studies.

2. Further issues are alluded to and I feel that there is a confusion of multiple variables. One such variable would be why are more accidents occurring? Is it increased traffic? Mobile phones? Cyclists wearing headphones? I certainly think that identifying these key variables is far more important.

3. Of these incidents that occur, where does the blame lie? Is it with the cyclist riding faster or is it the drivers not adhering to road rules? Again, possible (assumed) change in cyclists behaviour may or may not be a factor. Certainly when an incident DOES occur, higher speed = higher force = assumed greater severity of head trauma. There may be more factors in the cyclists speed.

4. Efficacy of bicycle helmets in limiting time in hospital, cost of hospitalisation and mortality is well documented. What the opening paragraph states is helmet use did not decrease hospitalisation rates (no mention of cost or length of stay) in people that already have had a head injury.

5. Cycle helmet design is (and this is my opinion) often structurally suboptimal. I would prefer more occipital and temporal coverage. Thus I can agree with the point raised that perhaps for certain directional forces, protection may be suboptimal.

6. The "New Zealand doctors" anecdotal comments are exactly that, anecdotal. The literature on limiting extent of cerebral injury is well documented in medical literature. Papers are still being published to support this stance, the most recent of which I can find was from Q3 2016.

7. The possibility of increased rotational force to the cranium and neck when subjected to a tangential force is, I believe, of concern especially with helmets with extra "hair room" related to the increased moment of the force. Has it been shown to increase severity of head injury when compared to helmet-less victims? I can not find data to support this.

8. Does lack of exercise contribute to increased cardiovascular mortality? Undoubtedly. Would losing the helmet requirement directly reduce cardiovascular death? I think the problems may be more multifactorial than that.

9. Using your example of the Netherlands, was their accident rate lower or their head injury severity lower? Helmets don't stop accidents, they are there to limit head injury severity if an accident occurs. This brings us back to the multifactorial components of bicycle safety. What do they do differently that is ACTUALLY decreasing their accident rate?

I appreciate the discussion. Perhaps I am a little biased having seen my fair share of severe head injuries.

I have not included all the links I possibly could and I am no expert on the subject. But I do know stats and stats are a funny thing...lies,damn lies and statistics. Often, society has knee jerk reactions which I suspect helmet laws may well be.

I did a lot of research into motorcycling helmet wear and the Hurt report and this is where things get rather murky regarding deaths as a whole. Instinctively and intuitively one would think that helmets save lives as a whole but the truth is sometimes not as simple as that.

Ultimately there is enough evidence to indicate that helmet wear and/ helmet design needs a lot more work before reaching conclusions. We concur thT the flimsy polystyrene bucket needs work, a lot of work. Brain injuries are often the result of jolts with the pudding hitting the walls. But I am no expert.

Where far better "gains" can be made is education, education of cyclists primarily and society as a whole. Cycling is a dangerous hobby/pastime. How many ppl here went on any kind of cycling tuition before pedaling, How many were informed of these dangers when buying their first bicycle. How about implementing legislation that if you hit a cyclist you are assumed guilty , rebuttable but the onus is on the motorist to prove innocence. Cyclists use the road yet are not subject to any kind of test, maybe why we break laws, red lights are not meant for us.

From the research i did today into za I can find no evidence that deaths in za have been reduced after the implementation of mandatory cycling laws, yet staffers will lynch you when u state this because obviously helmets save lives, and they will chirp the non wearing ous because well it's the law.

Maybe as another poster mentioned , the passion could be better utilized on more beneficial pursuits.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/22e2c5ac424fbfb2cc3a3e8d1d48ecb9.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/5eda0395728ac820665a57a3a24049ec.jpg

Now this is gold and will analyse it tomorrow,thank you.

Interesting that there is higher incidence of other injuries, why is that?

I have not included all the links I possibly could and I am no expert on the subject. But I do know stats and stats are a funny thing...lies,damn lies and statistics. Often, society has knee jerk reactions which I suspect helmet laws may well be.

I did a lot of research into motorcycling helmet wear and the Hurt report and this is where things get rather murky regarding deaths as a whole. Instinctively and intuitively one would think that helmets save lives as a whole but the truth is sometimes not as simple as that.

Ultimately there is enough evidence to indicate that helmet wear and/ helmet design needs a lot more work before reaching conclusions. We concur thT the flimsy polystyrene bucket needs work, a lot of work. Brain injuries are often the result of jolts with the pudding hitting the walls. But I am no expert.

Where far better "gains" can be made is education, education of cyclists primarily and society as a whole. Cycling is a dangerous hobby/pastime. How many ppl here went on any kind of cycling tuition before pedaling, How many were informed of these dangers when buying their first bicycle. How about implementing legislation that if you hit a cyclist you are assumed guilty , rebuttable but the onus is on the motorist to prove innocence. Cyclists use the road yet are not subject to any kind of test, maybe why we break laws, red lights are not meant for us.

From the research i did today into za I can find no evidence that deaths in za have been reduced after the implementation of mandatory cycling laws, yet staffers will lynch you when u state this because obviously helmets save lives, and they will chirp the non wearing ous because well it's the law.

Maybe as another poster mentioned , the passion could be better utilized on more beneficial pursuits.

I certainly agree with you. But until accident rates are reduced, helmets will continue to reduce severity of head injuries.

What the answer is when it comes to reducing accident rates, I don't know. But certainly something needs to change. I do agree that harsher policing and prosecution of vehicle related traffic offences is one factor, but it is most likely far deeper than that. There is a social issue in this country that seems to increase risk taking behaviour.

You gonna have to do a whole lot better than that ....jussus that's puerile but if you try a little harder I am sure you can come up with something a lot better.

As my lil lad says "Really".

tu sei uno di quelli che pensa di essere troppo furbo......and no I didn't need to google translate, but you might need to

Maybe it will help us doubters understand if you can give a few specific incidents where accidents were caused because a cyclist was wearing a helmet or maybe an incident where someone avoided an accident because he wasn't wearing a helmet.

You know, that story where the cyclist said afterwards - "If only I didn't wear my helmet that day this all could have been avoided".

tu sei uno di quelli che pensa di essere troppo furbo......and no I didn't need to google translate, but you might need to

Possibly the most ironic post on the internet. Trust it has not escaped you sir.

Have a groovy Friday.

The data is certainly enlightening, again thank you. It focuses on accidents an not holistically. What are the accident rates per km in each area an other info would give a broader picture. There are many variables that require consideration.

The British medical journal reported no drop in serious injuries an death after helmet laws were introduced in Oz. (After taking into account the other variables at play)

Some interesting stats is that bike share schemes in major cities where helmet laws are not compulsory generally have lower accident rates than the regions they are in. This is astounding when you think about it.

In closing an too clear up some confusion, in the unfortunate event that you happen to have an accident you could be better off with a helmet. Focusing on the accident itself an excluding every thing else a helmet can be of assistance.

Possibly the most ironic post on the internet. Trust it has not escaped you sir.

Have a groovy Friday.

I certainly will thanks, still on leave and preparing to go out on a spin.......don't burn too many brain cells !

All of you stop it.

Instead of flogging this dead horse, take the time it would have taken you to harp on about something arb and mail your respective MECs. Demand bike lanes. Demand better policing of existing laws. Demand free entries to the Argus. I don't care, just make yourself heard. Use this rage on someone who can actually affect change!

I've even done the hard work for you:

Western Cape: Transport.Publicworks@westerncape.gov.za

MEC: Mr D Grant

Department Head: Jacqui.Gooch@westerncape.gov.za

Gauteng: GPRoads.Transport@gauteng.gov.za

MEC: Mr Ismail Vadi

email: Sofia.Yusuf@gauteng.gov.za

KZN: 

Head: Transport : Mr Sbusiso Gumbi : Sbusiso.Gumbi@Kzntransport.gov.za

National: 

Director-General: Pule Godfrey Selepe, Mr

DirectorGeneral@dot.gov.za

Sadly, I doubt there will be 153 emails (number of replies in this topic) sent to our public servants about bike safety...

Well knowing that I must be left alone, I might just explore more criminal activities.

Just open a Specialized Concept Store and lots of old men will willingly bring their money to you.

It's just easier.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Damp squib, Friday dawns and all we are left with is cold left overs.

For crying out loud, any fool can see Icecream forehead is just cherry picking the stats to suit himself(as he has admitted more than once) and his tin foil hat is blocking his common sense. Come on!

Am I right or am I wrong??

Read Skybarra's post above, that man is on to something!

All of you stop it.

Instead of flogging this dead horse, take the time it would have taken you to harp on about something arb and mail your respective MECs. Demand bike lanes. Demand better policing of existing laws. Demand free entries to the Argus. I don't care, just make yourself heard. Use this rage on someone who can actually affect change!

I've even done the hard work for you:

Western Cape: Transport.Publicworks@westerncape.gov.za

MEC: Mr D Grant

Department Head: Jacqui.Gooch@westerncape.gov.za

Gauteng: GPRoads.Transport@gauteng.gov.za

MEC: Mr Ismail Vadi

email: Sofia.Yusuf@gauteng.gov.za

KZN: 

Head: Transport : Mr Sbusiso Gumbi : Sbusiso.Gumbi@Kzntransport.gov.za

National: 

Director-General: Pule Godfrey Selepe, Mr

DirectorGeneral@dot.gov.za

Sadly, I doubt there will be 153 emails (number of replies in this topic) sent to our public servants about bike safety...

I agree with you wholeheartedly that people can make a bigger difference by focusing their effort on other areas. But thats exactly why its so annoying that so much time and effort has to be spent refuting statements like "helmets don't help".

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/28043-1/Refuting+Bullshit.jpg

Maybe it will help us doubters understand if you can give a few specific incidents where accidents were caused because a cyclist was wearing a helmet or maybe an incident where someone avoided an accident because he wasn't wearing a helmet.

You know, that story where the cyclist said afterwards - "If only I didn't wear my helmet that day this all could have been avoided".

Exactly. I am sure we all know dozens of cyclists who have said "boy, I am so glad I wasn't wearing a helmet when I came off my bike and hit my head on the curb/ rock/ pole/ pedal etc."

In reality you only ever hear people tell of how glad they were that they did have a helmet on and how it saved them from serious injury.