Do I have a case? (Shop mistake)

Grease_Monkey

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be blown away how many people with in the industry do not know or understand Boost spacing and chainline compatibility...I mean its only been around for the last two years....

You would be blown away how many people with in the industry do not know or understand Boost spacing and chainline compatibility...I mean its only been around for the last two years....

Haha ja I always laugh when I go into a shop and am explaining some new tech or standard to the salesman! Makes you wonder what they do with all the time they spend in the shop!

I went into a new Concept Store in Durbanville a few weeks back, looking for the pump pictured below. (or something similar)

After hanging around for a few minutes, waiting for the sales person to come out of the office, and explaining to him what I want, he wanted to sell me the normal "bombs". It was clear he had no idea what I was talking about.

Needless to say, I left the store empty handed. Clueless, he was.

http://www.lezyne.com/images/product/Product-FP-pressovrdrive-grid.jpg

Haha ja I always laugh when I go into a shop and am explaining some new tech or standard to the salesman! Makes you wonder what they do with all the time they spend in the shop!

As opposed to us here at work, 'working'?  :ph34r:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Bontrager do a pump like that too! very lekker piece of kit...

When I worked in a bike store and it was quiet I used to surf the interwebs looking for new kit and reviews so I could at least interact with a client if and when asked...

Goes into shop:

Sales dude "Hi, can I help you"

Me "Yes, cappuccino while I get the stuff that I need please"

I am a bit peeved, but before I do anything let me get some opinions about if I actually have a case…

I bought a new Specialized bike in November (for a stupid amount of money) from a concept store. The bike has boost spacing and came out with a 28t chainring. This is too small for me, and I asked the store to replace it with a 32t chainring at around R1k, which they did before I picked up the bike. They gave me the spare 28t as well.

Over December I rode quite a bit, and because I am very unfit and my legs were dead I wanted to replace the 32t with the 28t on a day where I knew I was going to do quite a bit of hills. When I was busy replacing the chainring I realised that the 28t has a 3mm offset (as single chainrings should for a 1x set up on a boost bike), and the 32t that was on the bike had a 0mm offset. Now, the 0mm offset is the wrong chainring for the bike – it gives a really bad chainline and as a result will wear through the bigger gears in my cassette faster than it should.

I know it is my fault that I did not check the chainring Specialized put on my bike when I collected it, but the reason I didn’t check on it was because Specialized are surely knowledgeable enough to put the correct chainring on my bike. Do I have a case in terms of asking them to take the wrong chainring back and exchanging it for the correct one? Even though it is 700km later? And what about the additional wear that has now been inflicted on my cassette? They are not cheap, and taking 1000km of wear off the cassette because of a mistake made by the shop should surely not come out of my pocket? I don’t expect them to replace the cassette, but maybe a discount on the next cassette when this one is worn out?

Maybe I am completely out of line with my expectations? Would appreciate your inputs…

Separating issues for clarity here ....

1) You don't work on bikes for a living but the shop does so you can expect them to know better and act accordingly. In this respect, yes they probably should have fitted a chainring with correct offset....or at least used spacers.

2) Are you certain they didn't compensate some other way by e.g. using spacers to shift the BB across or spacers under the cassette? Have you measured the actual chainline to determine if it is appreciably offline from the drivetrain manufacturer's installation guidelines?

3) You've had a whole 700km (50 or so hours of riding) to experience signs of incorrect chainline ( yours would have been too wide in front if it lacked the offset ring ). These signs are noise/grinding of chain against front ring. Scratching of the sides of chain ring teeth, premature chain wear, chain clicking/falling to a smaller cog when in the granny gear - and unable to adjust this with shifter cable tension...etc. Chainwear can be measured...how bad is it?

I think you do have a case....the shop was a bit negligent....but also quite some time has elapsed during which you have not noticed negative effects so it is difficult to determine the value of any damage over and above the normal wear and tear of 700km of riding.

You should perhaps try to meet the shop halfway....ask for a replacement chain ring and return the one supplied incorrectly. This will limit any extra wear going forward.

If the chain shows excessive wear when measured then this would also create additional cassette wear and you'll have to argue the case.

To maximise your cassette life it is probably best that you acquire2 or 3 chains and rotate them sequentially every month or two. Perhaps the shop can be persuaded to give you a discount on a spare chain or two to get you started.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah and not so simple because some of the early boost frames that came out were a little hybridised to enable them to make use of existing standard cranksets.

e.g. my Hightower has 68mm threaded BB shell so you can use the BB spacers to shift a standard 73mm BB around to give boost spacing to to a standard crank. Some freebodies also have spacer rings that allow the cassette position to be adjusted a little. In both cases make sure the BB insert/cassette lockring has deep enough thread if you start using spacers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey guys! Sorry for only reporting back now, I only had a chance to go in yesterday.

After reading all of the replies I came to the conclusion the shop was not the only one at fault. Although they did give me the wrong chainring, as JXV has mentioned, I did ride it for 700km before noticing the chainline was wrong (probably would not have noticed if I did not put my 28t on). The damage on my cassette is minimal, so I decided not to pursue that avenue.

I did however go into the shop, and they agreed to replace my chainring with a new one with 3mm offset for free, as well as a new chain at cost price. I think it is a good middle ground, and overall I am happy with the outcome!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Hey guys! Sorry for only reporting back now, I only had a chance to go in yesterday.

After reading all of the replies I came to the conclusion the shop was not the only one at fault. Although they did give me the wrong chainring, as JXV has mentioned, I did ride it for 700km before noticing the chainline was wrong (probably would not have noticed if I did not put my 28t on). The damage on my cassette is minimal, so I decided not to pursue that avenue.

I did however go into the shop, and they agreed to replace my chainring with a new one with 3mm offset for free, as well as a new chain at cost price. I think it is a good middle ground, and overall I am happy with the outcome!

Nice!!

It's amazing what a bit rationality and common decency can achieve.

Well done on how you handled it ????????

This reaction is to be commended.... it's a good thing that you seem to be level headed and that the bike shop honoured and accepted their stuff up.... well done to both you and your Bike shop... Edited by ZakAttak