Value Logistics Fast One 2017

Long Wheel Base

I think one very positive thing for me was the intermediate timing mat.  The later groups that decide to take the short route land up in the top end of the long course.  Except for Gerald's crowd, not many for the race organisers make any effort to tidy up the results.

I hope there is one at the B&G race this weekend.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one very positive thing for me was the intermediate timing mat.  The later groups that decide to take the short route land up in the top end of the long course.  Except for Gerald's crowd, not many for the race organisers make any effort to tidy up the results.

Oh yah, that mat somewhere on the route was great. I forgot about that.

I think one very positive thing for me was the intermediate timing mat. The later groups that decide to take the short route land up in the top end of the long course. Except for Gerald's crowd, not many for the race organisers make any effort to tidy up the results.

Yes they need more mats, the B&G route is a very easy one to cheat for character like that famous dude does.

I agree our Road Ranger was awesome. These guys do so much to keep us safe and it cant be an easy job. Big  :thumbup: to them.

Rode in VA and it was a very hard and fast race. Like everyone has already said, the roads were in bad condition which made for some hair raising moments.

Kudos and thanks to the marshals in VA, I thought they did a great job of controlling the traffic for our bunch, to me it felt like we had rolling road closure for most of the race and the marshals were also pointing out potholes when possible so well done to them.

Other than the road condition and not much marking of holes etc (that I could see), I think the overall organization seemed good.

Speedy recovery to those that fell!

Learn to hop over them.

I had to do it first time in the race, you don't lose any speed and you most probably won't pop your tubes

Bud I have been riding for a few years, MTB and road, I know how to 'Bunny hop'! But it is impossible to hop over something that you don't see in a split second because you are in a bunch and the rider directly in front of you goes through without any warning!

Friend of mine hit one of the million potholes

And this is what he is left with..attachicon.gifIMG_5234.JPG

That sucks. Just got my wheel back, luckily the wheel is fine, just the tyre that now has a wobble. At least it's a relatively cheap fix :D

Worst start ever, with 3 min to go till the VA start I realized no bottles, rushed back to the car, when I was about 600m from the finish I saw they left already chased frantically for 20 min, before I got back in. Took me a long time to recover.

Almost got caught in the crash at the end literally bunny hopped over an arm, was a really fast one, with my late start I came in at 2:07, but race tech had to give me start time of the group of course.

Looking forward to berge & dale & r4s

My GPS took me back along the route after the race on the way back to JHB, which I liked because its always nice to see slower cyclists coming in and suffering (evil laugh). But a large group was coming through and the bike marshall actually moved right over onto my lane and forced me onto the grass. Which I was ok with at first until I realised, actually the group shouldnt be riding over the white line anyway (one of my pet hates at events and DL group was really good at this race about not doing it). Plus I drive a small car, so it was really bullying behaviour to do that. Interesting to see the cycling event from a motorist's perspective.

I entered late and started in CL.. Was a good ride all the way.. Was lucky to avoid most of the bottles and potholes and don't know of any crashes on the route but thats because I tried to stay front 5 or 6 most of the way, so I had a good view of the road.

Not much they can do about potholes with all the rains we have had.. and they would have gone through quite a few spray bottles marking everything. In my opinion, it would not have helped much even if they did mark em, just too many.

One thing I wish race orginizers can sort out is people dropping back. There where a bunch of kids in Orica and MTN kit ( that had AL numbers, but started in CL, some of them took off their numbers ) and they caused trouble the whole time. They where trying to race each other, while CL had there own ride going but they where reckless and dangerous. Constantly overtaking over the white line and even attacking and racing in the opposite lane.

I guess they knew there won't be any authorities in C and hence they could do what they want. Think they tried to go for the prize money, which they did not get anyway as they burnt all their matches with 10km to go, when the pace picked up.

Overall a nice confidence booster for myself as I somehow managed to sneak into 3rd place. Had I known, I would have collected my prize money ( I have never been on a podium )

Edited by PietSw

Don't forget the guys that was crossing the white line riding into the incoming traffic and then forcing their way into the bunch when a car approaches. One club had a few riders doing this

It was some guys from Mail & Guardian and some youngsters in Orica and MTN kit. Sorry to name and shame.

Generally the CL was quite well orginized with quite a few guys pacelining pulling the group, the last 25km, there was some boys from (i think ) it was OneCoach or something that pulled the group most of the time. Kudos to them.

Did the 50, improved my time 11 min from last year. Still would like to be about 30 minutes faster next time.

Good Job.. it gets addictive when you start improving times.. Why not try the long one next year?