2017 gut and distance

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing i have learnt about the various eating plans...as soon as you start an eating plan...the food budget increases...bread is a cheap fuel....when times are tough...nothing beats jam sarmies.

my whole school life every kid at school ate bread for lunch...we got home and made thick peanut and jam sarmies...still to this day kids have sarmies for lunch...now suddenly it so bad for us ???

if bread is so bad for us why do the guys riding 800 km... pack sarmies and eat bread  to fuel the ride rather than gels...sugar and rump steak?

lets see what happens...i am gona stick to it for another week and a bit...weigh in is on wednesday next week...it is good that there are different eating habits....so we can compare.

my son is "26" and he eats me under the table yet looks like chris froome....back to age again.

You don't realise it, but when you were a school kid, you most probably were way more active than you are now. Just doing kid stuff eg running around, playing ball etc. You had less stress. Hormone balances were different, leaning to faster metabolism than now. Bread back in the day was of better quality than now as well (more grainy..).

The other issue is the fact that we do not realise the amount of sugar we consume on a day to day bases. Just about everything we eat contains more sugar than you would realise. Combined with easy carbs like bread, the effect is exacerbated. Bread has the additional effect of acidifying the blood due to the fast carbs. This has a whole other range of effects on the body..

The guys riding those long distances will rather eat solid foods than gels because too many gels over a long period of time wreaks havoc on the stomach. The same reason for potatoes etc at the water points at long marathon races and stage races. 

My suggestion, if you want to eat bread, rather go for rye breads etc. See what effect that has on your health etc. You will find you stay fuller for longer, and the low GI energy release is beneficial for long rides etc.

Ise if you can lose weight eating bread then I will absolutely hate you!

I love bread, but I put on weight just looking at the stuff so its a no go for me.

Wasnt it Patch that said something along the lines of: you eat yourself thin and train yourself fast.

It can be done(Out training a bad diet), but not many have the time, focus or legs...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2131106/pete-kostelnick-13000-calories-run-across-america

my 2c- you took years to get fat, now expect to lose it in a matter of weeks, good luck with that. It is going to take years of exercise and eating right to get back to where you want to be, so be patient and keep at it.

It can be done(Out training a bad diet), but not many have the time, focus or legs...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2131106/pete-kostelnick-13000-calories-run-across-america

my 2c- you took years to get fat, now expect to lose it in a matter of weeks, good luck with that. It is going to take years of exercise and eating right to get back to where you want to be, so be patient and keep at it.

The market is flooded with all these crash diets , so people see that and expect the same. We all know the problem is you put the weight back on quicker than you lost it.

just something i need to add...i havent been eating the toast with peanut butter in the afternoon...the reason...i dont feel hungry in the afternoon...i have noticed in the past some of the eating plans leave me hungry in the late afternoon... so i fill the gap...however eating bread during the day i am not hungry when i get home after work.

what i am trying to figue out is why more people dont experiment...see what works for you...try different things...as you can see in this thread and others there are many experts in the field of weigh loss...my advice...if you are a big person listen to other people who where big and now lost weight...if you are a skinny person and only want to loose a few kg listen to advice from people who are skinny and lost a few already...be careful of all the "experts".

we are all different...do what works for you.

You don't realise it, but when you were a school kid, you most probably were way more active than you are now. Just doing kid stuff eg running around, playing ball etc. You had less stress. Hormone balances were different, leaning to faster metabolism than now. Bread back in the day was of better quality than now as well (more grainy..).

The other issue is the fact that we do not realise the amount of sugar we consume on a day to day bases. Just about everything we eat contains more sugar than you would realise. Combined with easy carbs like bread, the effect is exacerbated. Bread has the additional effect of acidifying the blood due to the fast carbs. This has a whole other range of effects on the body..

The guys riding those long distances will rather eat solid foods than gels because too many gels over a long period of time wreaks havoc on the stomach. The same reason for potatoes etc at the water points at long marathon races and stage races. 

My suggestion, if you want to eat bread, rather go for rye breads etc. See what effect that has on your health etc. You will find you stay fuller for longer, and the low GI energy release is beneficial for long rides etc.

just to put you in the picture...i have been doing this for 2 years already and lost around 30 kg so far...i dont plan on loosing the rest of my gut eating bread...from wednesday i go back onto  a balance eating plan...which will include a little bread but not as i am eating it at the moment...i have a very basic home exercise program which i will start which includes some upper body work for a change...instead of just cycling cycling cycling. 

for now it is an experiment to see how much weight i will gain until Wednesday.

i keep hearing "bread will make you fat" the point i am trying to make is simple...a couple slices of bread will NOT make you fat...if it did i should be well over 110 kg by now...instead i am down a couple kg.

as you pointed out...being more active as a kid...i have been very active since increasing the amount of bread...at work i have been moving around a lot.

weight loss is not just about what you shove in your mouth...but it has an impact of your weight and waist size.

Edited by isetech

just something i need to add...i havent been eating the toast with peanut butter in the afternoon...the reason...i dont feel hungry in the afternoon...i have noticed in the past some of the eating plans leave me hungry in the late afternoon... so i fill the gap...however eating bread during the day i am not hungry when i get home after work.

what i am trying to figue out is why more people dont experiment...see what works for you...try different things...as you can see in this thread and others there are many experts in the field of weigh loss...my advice...if you are a big person listen to other people who where big and now lost weight...if you are a skinny person and only want to loose a few kg listen to advice from people who are skinny and lost a few already...be careful of all the "experts".

we are all different...do what works for you.

big respect for your research. personally i think its foolish but then again i would also have thought the idea of banting was foolish years ago. not that i bant at all. maybe next time it will be better to do these experiments quietly and only after some results, whether negative or positive come and share it here on hubland. good luck bud.

I've lost 45 kg over the last six years mainly due to excercise and healthy eating so I have some experience with this.

You can lose weight eating anything if you maintain a caloric deficit which you clearly are.

The problem is not that bread will make you fat it's that it has high caloric density, is very refined and has poor nutritional value. In other words it's bad for you even if you are losing weight. It lacks just about anything you should be ingesting except calories.

As you get thinner it will become harder as you body uses less food just to exist and there are much better options to eat than bread.

Best weight loss ever for me. Five days in hospital; 5kg lost. Put on 2 or 3 over Christmas though but after a long time.

January.

123.4 km...painful hard ride...red ambulance...3 x 750 ml water...1 x powerade and 1 piece of energy bar...battled to sleep and eating a bunny chow the night before...not clever.

130.9 km...better planning made it easier...no red ambulance required...had 2 bananas...3 x 750 ml water and 1 electrolyte...a decent meal and a good night sleep.

e7007024648607eb2bf484159d18b7eb.jpg

target for this year 160 km without cramping...include a hill or 2.

103.5 kg.

Edited by isetech

Now that the bread experiment is done...what did I learn from it...it is not a bad idea to have a slice or 2 of bread if I am feeling hungry when I get home ...to get me through till dinner...rather than snacking on everything in the kitchen before dinner...it may not be the healthiest option...but it certainly won't make me put on weight.

Time to start focusing on getting rid of the gut...first investment...an air fryer...with dinner...sweet potato.

b6d223c32b6735da7f0cb6b620f61779.jpg

Increasing Milage is on track...20 - 30 km increase is a little more difficult than I anticipated...gona focus on flatter section for longer rides...then as I feel more comfortable I start including hills.

• 4 weeks later...

Cant believe it is 3/03/2017 already.

very little riding since the beginning of Feb...weight stayed the same while i wasnt riding...started riding and so the eating increased...put on half a kg for the end of month weighin :(

The problem with getting old...you start growing things...got a few lump on the back of my neck and had them cut out yesterday...so i am gona take it easy for a couple days.

busy looking into how i can loose weight to fit into my suit at the end of April...have some ideas which i am looking into...dont worry they dont include bread ;)

it is taking time to get motivated...it is trying to get out of this lull that is the difficult part.

at least i staying below 105 kg...which is a win for me. 

maybe i should set some more challenging goals to light the fire.

a little more more complicated than just dropping a size...cholesterol has added another challenge...i have to figue out a way to loose the gut and drop my ldl from 4.4 to 2.5 and keep it there so that i can go off medication (with all its side effects)...battled to ride this weekend not sure it it was from the local injections to remove the lump or now that i am back on cholesterol  medication...since friday night...we will see this coming  weekend how the riding goes.

it seems the only logical way to do this is to go to a plant based diet...i hear people saying they have dropped cholesterol levels...the question is not by how much...because as I have experienced...i have dropped hdl and triglycerides to within acceptable levels...however the total and ldl are above normal...are these levels going to make me have a heart attack? who knows...just had 2 mates suffer heart attacks...one who has started riding recently...had a heart attack after his evening ride...the other not active or fit but also not over weight...pains across the chest boom rushed in for a stent...i am still hammering my poor heart at over 190 bpm...i dont understand enough about this cholesterol "problem" to make the decision yet.

or do i go low carb high fat ? 

I know we are not all doctors...that is why i am back on the medication after 2 years as advised by the doctor and will continue with it until the level drops below 2.5 and suffer the side affects...but it would be great if people could share their experiences.

has your "ldl" levels dropped since doing a lchf diet or have you tried a plant based diet with good results?

Edited by isetech