Trevor Noah - killing it stateside

Shebeen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen him do this. Like ever actually. Any footage links?

he comments on it, sure. And his family life was probably wrecked by it as well. Swiss (I think) dad and black South African mother, in a time when that sort of relationship was illegal. 

But he doesn't make a meal of it, IMO, and never portrays himself as a victim.

I guess what I'm trying to say is. We could do with 'The Daily Show' on home soil. 

It's a shame that political satire often doesn't find a large audience in SA.

Look at ZANews. They've struggled in the past to be find a place on traditional TV platforms in SA. Political satire in SA is most times a potato too hot for traditional broadcasters to handle.

His book was titled 'Born a Crime' which could be seen as a little sensation seeking however to be fair it is a true statement so it is his prerogative if he wishes to emphasise that aspect of his life.

Personally I feel pretty indifferent about him, sometimes he is pretty funny, others not. Like most comedians really.

not gonna quote everyone...But the all these daily shows are political to some extent because they are comedy shows that draw from whats going on at the time...and right now there is enough political comedy to sustain twenty daily shows. Secondly..he is not putting his personal opinion down...there are a team of writers.

I think the daily show is great and I think he is doing a damn fine job. His ratings are waaay up compared to this time last year and he has moulded into the role like a professional. 

I enjoy his humour and I have heard and read some excellent quotes from him that makes me respect him both as a comedian and as a person. If he was at the airport the same time as me - I would go out of my way to go and shake the guys hand.

final point is the guys work ethic was/is incredible - he didnt just land in that position - he spent years flying back and forth between America and the UK doing stand up routines in small clubs at 3 in the morning

not gonna quote everyone...But the all these daily shows are political to some extent because they are comedy shows that draw from whats going on at the time...and right now there is enough political comedy to sustain twenty daily shows. Secondly..he is not putting his personal opinion down...there are a team of writers.

I think the daily show is great and I think he is doing a damn fine job. His ratings are waaay up compared to this time last year and he has moulded into the role like a professional. 

I enjoy his humour and I have heard and read some excellent quotes from him that makes me respect him both as a comedian and as a person. If he was at the airport the same time as me - I would go out of my way to go and shake the guys hand.

final point is the guys work ethic was/is incredible - he didnt just land in that position - he spent years flying back and forth between America and the UK doing stand up routines in small clubs at 3 in the morning

bazinga. 

Look at ZANews. They've struggled in the past to be find a place on traditional TV platforms in SA. Political satire in SA is most times a potato too hot for traditional broadcasters to handle.

I think the problem is that the average South African thinks Leon Schuster is funny, so political satire or any other type of intelligent comedy goes wooooosh, so to speak...

His book was titled 'Born a Crime' which could be seen as a little sensation seeking however to be fair it is a true statement so it is his prerogative if he wishes to emphasise that aspect of his life.

Personally I feel pretty indifferent about him, sometimes he is pretty funny, others not. Like most comedians really.

maybe...but the fact is that he was born to "criminals" and spent his formative years being raised by "criminals". As whites we have absolutely no idea what it meant growing up with a black mother or father. I listened to an onterview with him where he said that his mother had to pretend to be her husbands maid so she could be in the city after hours. My wife has interracial cousins about his age, and although they went to grey PE, their home base was  in the Transkei and their father could never leave the transkei else he would have been locked up....so yeah...he was born a crime

Good post, Stretch.

His work ethic is undeniable and he's done really well for himself.

I'm with the little bird on this one. Somewhat indifferent. If I come across something of his and he's funny, I laugh. If he's not, I don't.

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

Good post, Stretch.

His work ethic is undeniable and he's done really well for himself.

I'm with the little bird on this one. Somewhat indifferent. If I come across something of his and he's funny, I laugh. If he's not, I don't. Otherwise, I'm somewhat indifferent.

That's cool, though. Comedy is highly subjective, after all. I find Jimmy Carr to be hilarious. Others may think he's just crass. 

I've never seen him do this. Like ever actually. Any footage links?

Think was on one Daily Show. As I say, that was my opinion of him. Not saying my opinion is right though. Maybe I am too much like my grandad. Way too serious maybe. 

Too true. The majority of our public can't tell the difference between a parody and actual news. Those same people, either get their news from our very own state owned broadcaster or worse. Tabloids. Its also a shame that our free press simply don't appeal to the same audience. Having said that political satire is nothing but opinion. Some potatoes just need a disclaimer or two. 

he comments on it, sure. And his family life was probably wrecked by it as well. Swiss (I think) dad and black South African mother, in a time when that sort of relationship was illegal. 

But he doesn't make a meal of it, IMO, and never portrays himself as a victim.

I thought that too. I'm aware of his background and yes I've heard him mention it. With a straight face. But never got the impression he was after the sympathy vote. I guess its possible that one could interpret that differently.

I think the problem is that the average South African thinks Leon Schuster is funny, so political satire or any other type of intelligent comedy goes wooooosh, so to speak...

I dislike Leon even more than Trevor. In fact, I cannot stand Leon. I generally walk out when any of his movies is on TV.

Maybe I prefer British humor, like the 2 Ronnies etc.

We can cal it the "Nou-Show©™"

Edit:

All rights reserved.

Nou-Show is a Hub Registered trademeark owned in it's entirety by RocknRolla

Good thinking. 'Nou-show' is actually quite a clever title imo.

Although. All of us here know that your idea is up for grabs since you like just made it up.

So you might as well replace the last line with patent pending.