Trevor Noah - killing it stateside

Shebeen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to like him, he now annoys me !

Plays the race card now.............................

Agree 100 %

I used to like him, he now annoys me !

Plays the race card now.............................

You know how comedy and satire works? Right?

I should ask you the same question...

Satire is all about poking fun of the holy cows and that exact fact -  having carte blanche to really expose and explore those socially and politically no-go areas, makes it such an effective social commentary tool (think Zapiro).

Now, if in your satirical applications constant repetitions along very specific themes -  some of which are not relevant anymore - start to emerge it is not satire anymore. It is diluted superficial comedy often revealing chips on the shoulder of the comedian rather than clever social commentary.

Imo Mr Noah has fallen into that trap and his "growing up in segregated South Africa" and all that entails, is wearing bit thin. I used to be a big fan and I think he used to be really sharp but dare I say, he is just not funny anymore.                 

Edited by Karooryder

Yes I do actually !

I am referring to his interviews and statements about SA !

I should ask you the same question...

Satire is all about poking fun of the holy cows and that exact fact - having carte blanche to really expose and explore those socially and politically no-go areas, makes it such an effective as a social commentary tool (think Zapiro).

Now, if in your satirical applications constant repetitions along very specific themes - some of which are not relevant anymore - start to emerge it is not satire anymore. It is diluted superficial comedy often revealing chips on the shoulder of the comedian rather than clever social commentary.

Imo Mr Noah has fallen into that trap and his "growing up in segregated South Africa" and all that entails, is wearing bit thin. I used to be a big fan and I think he used to be really sharp but dare I say, he is just not funny anymore.

Its not wearing thin. Its making him millions and millions of dollars a year. He knows the business, he knows that being controversial keeps him in that business. He is not doing whst he is to be a people pleaser.

he's still klapping it!

9 minutes of my life that I just wasted

Had a couple of funny shows when he was still here in SA.

Glad he made it in the USA, initially didnt look like he was going to make it when he took over the daily show.

Not so funny anymore imho

Its not wearing thin. Its making him millions and millions of dollars a year. He knows the business, he knows that being controversial keeps him in that business. He is not doing whst he is to be a people pleaser.

Not necessarily a massive fan... But the yanks are lapping up his back story and he's making top dollar because of it. Anyone with half a brain cell is going to do something that makes him lots of money. Second point is.. He has a story to tell. A comedian that grew up in a mixed marriage at the height of apartheid.... That cow is gonna get milked till the cows get home...I certainly would Edited by Stretch

What Stretch said.

Yes, he is making millions...in the States where "satire" is a concept more foreign than escargots and good comedy is defined by a fart in an elevator...and within a context so far removed from his "controversial"" realities that the kind of narrative he follows ad nauseam will always sell.   

Edited by Karooryder

Agree with Stretch, and although he has said 1 or 2 things a while back regarding race which I thought was a bit stupid, I don't think he is playing the race card. He often has some very intelligent, balanced, thoughtful arguments regarding race. Did anyone see his comments defending Liam Neeson recently. He could so easily have jumped on the manufactured outrage bandwagon.

• 1 year later...

don't know how much of my local bias swings this, but he still seems to be kicking butt in NYC

Someone is about to get triggered...

Yeah especially now that his job doesn't start for a few weeks and has some extra time on his hands.

don't know how much of my local bias swings this, but he still seems to be kicking butt in NYC

With that "beard" his father was definitely Swiss 

• 5 months later...