Biltong

AlanD

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan, skirt is way too stringy to make a good biltong. I won't follow that butchers advise.

Edit: unless you want a very chewy biltong

Mmhhh, I don't want chewy Biltong...might be better to make a slow cook stew from it rather.

Mmhhh, I don't want chewy Biltong...might be better to make a slow cook stew from it rather.

I like topside for making biltong, but silverside also works, just take more care to remove the sinews. Rump is better than topside but more expensive. Topside is a nice balance between quality and price.

I like topside for making biltong, but silverside also works, just take more care to remove the sinews. Rump is better than topside but more expensive. Topside is a nice balance between quality and price.

Never tried topside, will give it a go next time. I've tried rump and it was really.nice.

Never tried topside, will give it a go next time. I've tried rump and it was really.nice.

Topside is basically a big square block of meat that you can first split into 3 separate muscles before cutting it into strips of the thickness you like. That way you will have no sinews in your biltong. (The key is to first separate the big muscles along their natural borders.)

My favourite Biltong is still the Hot Babalas mix and Lemon & Herb from Spar. With that said, I wouldn't mind trying to make my own one of these days.

Just to brag a bit... I have a Kudu fillet spiced in the fridge which will go into the dryer tomorrow evening  :drool:  :drool: .

Pics will go up once I have taken them.

not trying to be funny but that is a massive waste of  a kudu fillet in my opinion. 

not trying to be funny but that is a massive waste of  a kudu fillet in my opinion. 

Generally speaking I would second this and crucify myself. However this fillet has been in the freezer for too long to braai, and I need the freezer space for the hunt over the weekend  :whistling: . Busy making space like crazy!!

Generally speaking I would second this and crucify myself. However this fillet has been in the freezer for too long to braai, and I need the freezer space for the hunt over the weekend  :whistling: . Busy making space like crazy!!

ok you are forgiven  :)

Edited by forkie

NEVER empty a freezer in anticipation......you'll jinx your ....m......you know.....that thing you plan to do. Much better to buy an extra new "emergency" freezer on Monday. ;) 

I generally make it in 1kg batches.. But I've decided to switch to 500g batches more regularly because by the time your get through the final piece in a kg batch is too dry.... Unless anyone had a storage tip