Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud...............please don't be schooled when you are wrong.

Strava does not have bike section!!

ps: Your post doesn't make sense. Surely one needs schooling most, when they are wrong? Or is school only for the privileged that are right?

Edited by Patchelicious

I got flamed for suggesting that soon an eBike will have 2000w. Well here is one with 1500w and I will bet that it will be well over 2000w within 2 years. See the dirt fly as it rips-up the trail:

https://neematic.com/

Something like that should definitely be classified as a motorbike, not an assisted bicycle and only be allowed on trails where motorbikes are also allowed.

It does look like a lot of fun though.

Edited by Jacquers

Its like they dont even pedal, the eBike is so powerful that pedaling is not needed at all. The pedals are there only to make the bike ok to ride mtb trails.

Something like that should definitely be classified as a motorbike, not an assisted bicycle and only be allowed on trails where motorbikes are also allowed.

It does look like a lot of fun though.

Hahah yeah I want one! But don`t want to ride mtb trails with it, that is just wrong. This is the point I`m making, eBikes should not be allowed on mtb trails at all. How will they monitor what eBikes have what power if trails are limited by power? The viable solution is to not allow eBikes at all - just ride a normal mtb, its great fun!

Hahah yeah I want one! But don`t want to ride mtb trails with it, that is just wrong. This is the point I`m making, eBikes should not be allowed on mtb trails at all. How will they monitor what eBikes have what power if trails are limited by power? The viable solution is to not allow eBikes at all - just ride a normal mtb, its great fun!

Erm, easy.... Each MTB trail would invest in a dyno. MTB trails make heaps of cash, they can easily afford this.

They could actually even generate more revenue by offering tune ups....

I got flamed for suggesting that soon an eBike will have 2000w. Well here is one with 1500w and I will bet that it will be well over 2000w within 2 years. See the dirt fly as it rips-up the trail:

https://neematic.com/

That is not a pedelec, it has a throttle, it is NOT ALLOWED on any MTB trails worlwide.

The pedelec bikes are pedal assisted only and give assistance up to a legally required 25Km/h in Europe, 32Km/h in US and RSA.

You can ungovern, uncork, modify the motors to give you more top-end speed.

However on the new generation motors they can immediately pickup that the speed limitation on wheel size has been tampered with if going the software route, cheers warranty!

You can mechanically mess with the bike but again the latest software seems to be able to identify the tampering.

I also hear laughable claims that ungoverned these bikes will do 60/70 km/h on the trail!

This is a myth! Remember we only have a maximum of 500W from the motor. The latest 2019 motors will give you a spike of around 700W , previous generation was around 685W.

Most pro-MTB riders generate those kind of watts regularly on climbs! Not a chance these grand pianos can reach those kinds of speeds on the flats or climbs.

Edited by Mambat

That is not a pedelec, it has a throttle, it is NOT ALLOWED on any MTB trails worlwide.

The pedelec bikes are pedal assisted only and give assistance up to a legally required 25Km/h in Europe, 32Km/h in US and RSA.

You can ungovern, uncork, modify the motors to give you more top-end speed.

However on the new generation motors they can immediately pickup that the speed limitation on wheel size has been tampered with if going the software route, cheers warranty!

You can mechanically mess with the bike but again the latest software seems to be able to identify the tampering.

I also hear laughable claims that ungoverned these bikes will do 60/70 km/h on the trail!

This is a myth! Remember we only have a maximum of 500W from the motor. The latest 2019 motors will give you a spike of around 700W , previous generation was around 685W.

Most pro-MTB riders generate those kind of watts regularly on climbs! Not a chance these grand pianos can reach those kinds of speeds on the flats or climbs.

erm... 

giphy.gif

Erm, easy.... Each MTB trail would invest in a dyno. MTB trails make heaps of cash, they can easily afford this.

They could actually even generate more revenue by offering tune ups....

erm... 

giphy.gif

Patch not sure what you are trying to say here but E-Bikes sold in our market as Pedelec bikes

are limited to 500W and 32km/h.

Anything else is not legal therefore NO GO on the closed trails.

Patch not sure what you are trying to say here but E-Bikes sold in our market as Pedelec bikes

are limited to 500W and 32km/h.

Anything else is not legal therefore NO GO on the closed trails.

I am saying that eBikes can do way more than 500w, so its not a "myth". the video proves it, so its FACT (trademark Specialized)

How would the poor Oom or tannie at the Meerdal gate know that my eBike is limited to 32kph? I have answered that they should have a dyno, because I am a problem solver like that. But until then, how?

Also, why are they illegal and your bikes aren't, why do you discriminate against that e-bike, but you say yours is ok? Is that a double standard? What if my son and I enjoy riding our 33kph 600w eBikes together and its how we bond?

Edited by Patchelicious