Cape Town Cycle Tour 2017 cancelled

News bot

Hi Shell Belle

The problem with keyboard warriors is they wont engage in discussion. And if they do, no amount of logic or reason helps. So rather let it slide. We all know what they (organisers) did was a good one under the circumstances.

Lots of comments but no solutions???

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the right call. Granted I'm upset it would have been my first CTCT, I use the Argus route for my rides on the weekend and do ride in the wind but after the race was cancelled I went out and did a ride to Simonstown.

The wind is hectic, I lost a layer of skin going through Glencairn and got moved around by the wind a bit. I can only imagine what the crosswinds on the top of hospital bend, down Chappies and the top of the bossie would be like. Now add a bunch of people who only go and ride when there is no wind and people who haven't ridden the route before and carnage would ensue.

Then add all the other stuff happening, protests and fires and you have a recipe for disaster.

Some say plan better and need better contingencies, are you expecting the organisers to screen riders to see if they can handle the wind? Say only the pro's and top seeded okes can start and you have an outcry.

With the protests, move the route, some one will get wind of it and a protest is easy to move you can find bricks, bins and move tyres anywhere along a route quickly.

With the fires, how about putting all your eggs and one basket and allocating all Emergency services to the fire to try and put it out quickly, what happens if another starts how quickly can you move resources with half the 'burbs main roads closed?

As much as I would have liked to have had a CTCT under my belt I can sympathise with the organisers, but IMHO they did the right thing.

Imagine having people seriously injured or god forbid die having an off on Chappies. Then everyone would be up in arms because the organisers should have stopped the race, or getting a brick lobbed at a cyclist going 60km/h.

Its a no win situation.

Anyway have a lekker day the wife and I are going for lunch.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

You're the one moaning about bad planning etc.... we can only assume you already have a solution as well.....

It's not as simple as you think... in "Hindsight" solutions come up... but that's only because one had time to sit and think about all the scenarios and what the best one is that could have been chosen.... if you have a better solution than the one taken today... please share, bear in mind, considering ALL the issues around the route (including the wind factor) and a contingency plan put in place for your alternate route!

#it'snotthatsimple

Total BS and weak planning. Need to have more rigorous plans for a big event...too many last minute decisions just points to inexperience.

" For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible"

Edited by Goodbadugly

Quote of the day

Awesome quote....converse applies to.

I will gladly be part of the organisation for the next CTCT.

:clap: :thumbup:

I think there should be meetings with "rural/informal settlement" leaders.

I know the wind was a major factor and the fire made it difficult for emergancy services.

We have had a lot of success talking to some of the leaders where we live regarding strikes, claims ect

Edited by Boerklong

No thanks. You would have put a bunch of people I care about on the road today if your tone is anything to go by. You are prepared to take risks I wouldn't want an organiser to take for the sake of a ride around with an official time. Best you leave this to the people that have been doing it for 40 years and have the necessary experience. 

Enjoy your day too!

Edited by Tubehunter

At least next year it will be worth the trip from Jhb, to see Emily Batty In action in Stellenbosch the day before... Still can't believe there's no DH race.

As I said.

Actually, you said nothing.

"Have better plans"

Thank you captain obvious.

Don you care to tell us what a better plan would be?

That is like saying we need to "have less poverty" without giving an example of how you would alleviate poverty.

And saying it is inexperience?

I don't know you at all, but I am willing to hazard a guess that David Bellairs and his crew have been organizing races for longer than you have been riding.

The CTCT is one of the best run events of its size in the country.

Diverting the route via Glencairn to nip the protest action in the bud was a good decision, Diverting away from Hout Bay would have meant a diversion through Ou Kaapse Weg, Not a bad option but the wind would still have been pumping. No getting away from the wind today, and taking a massive bunch down there in this wind would have sucked.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't have ridden today. Argus sucks when it blows like this.