Warranty issue. (advice required)

MitchConway

I wonder what the ratio of bikes sold vs warranty claims is?

They seem to sell more bikes than the other guys at the moment so it makes sense that there will be more complaints.

If Spez has 1 warranty claim out of 100 bikes sold vs manufacturer B having 2 out of 100, then it's not a "Spez" thing.

Number of complaints on its own is not always an accurate measurement.

Agreed. There are far more Spez bikes in the market place.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a swak deal, and some other brands follow the same route. Rather its the brand representatives here in South Africa, with South African mentality of take it or leave it, we cant be bothered as other people wont be and will support us no matter what. It happens on all industries in South Africa where complaints are just shrugged off, warranty claims etc.

Have a look at the CPA, I think you covered there.

Hi Everyone,

We have been attending to this claim and we have been trying to assist the rider where possible within our guidelines. We are working with the retailer to find an amicable solution.

At Specialized Rider Care, we are also riders, understand the concern and frustration in these cases.

My email address is gareth.hitchings@specialized.com, please feel free to drop me a mail and we will gladly assist where possible.

Safe riding!

...reluctantly so.  :huh:

It is not sorted out yet though. Still trying to reach an amicable solution close to 3 months down the line.

DISCLAIMER: GENERAL STATEMENT TO FOLLOW

With social media and online forums such at these around these days manufacturers are MORE likely to err in favour of the customer. Unfortunately for them they can't jump on a social platform to moan about ANOTHER customer taking a chance and have to play the long game by being the least in most cases. I reckon for most rejected claims these days a heck of a lot of expertise, discussion and consideration has gone into making the call. Calls aren't being made lightly, if only because they are kept honest through the power of the masses.

We don't know all the facts here. I have been involved with some claims where it turned out the rider's seatpost was a bit oval. Can't blame BRAND X for that. Can't blame the rider or shop either. But social networks were set ablaze when the claim was rejected. I've also seen a fair share of JRA cases where a frame or component looked like it spent the night on the Gaza strip.

Not aiming at this case, but using a torque wrench that is not looked after and not calibrated once a year = useless. Also using a torque wrench today does not mean the damage has not been done. Saying it could happen that a frame gets damaged and only shows the damage much later. Using a torque wrench once a month for a "quick check" is also rather dangerous as those micro "tighten up" adds up to being way over spec. Essentially if you're checking nuts and bolts you need to undo them a bit first. 

Most manufacturers see their fair share of issues and know what to look for. I worked with some tyre people in a previous life and it is AMAZING what they can tell from tyre scraps. Detail you won't ever have imagined possible. 

Some general ramblings. 

Yes, rather have non-claiming insurance customers subsidise other's mistakes...

so you saying I should not claim via insurance even though I attempted to get the warranty claim - is that you view?

I was discussing carbon frames some years ago and a friend jokingly said that the correct way is to tighten untill there is a slight crackling noise, and then back it iff a little,

I hope the problem gets resolved  :thumbup:   :drool: .

Sarge

I was discussing carbon frames some years ago and a friend jokingly said that the correct way is to tighten untill there is a slight crackling noise, and then back it iff a little,

I hope the problem gets resolved :thumbup: :drool: .

Sarge

Yeah

Great chirp ????????????

I'll place the burden here at the LBS

Have they responded yet in any constructive way to their beleaguered client?

The bike shop did use a torque wrench (i would know as i was present at the fitment) so at the moment all i can say for my lbs is that they have been incredibly helpful throughout this entire process! Is it common procedure that after over tightening the crack only appears a day later or immediately once it is over tightened? I think the main reason i feel so upset (like most of you have said) is that i spent an incredibly long period of time saving for the frameset hoping that when i purchased brand new my bases would be covered! I know this issue has happened to more people then just me (AND NOT JUST SPEZ) but surely benefit of the doubt needs to be considered in cases such as this? 

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on the matter. 

will keep everyone posted if anything concurs from this (expect about a months wait :whistling: )

I must say that i have had 2 warranty claims from specialized without problems, both was for paint and clear coat issues. No excuses, just a new, better frame.

In my opinion they have a good warranty department. But in any business you dont get it right all the time so i am sure this can be sorted out.

This seems to be a common problem with Specialized bikes. 

Not sure if it is their seat post clamp design. They have a clamp that tightens on the oposite side to the the groove in the seatpost. This often causes the cabon to "bunch" up at the clamp groove and then "crack" at that point.

It is not due to overtighting. I had the same problem with a bike.

Intersting that Specialized also told me the same thing 

"happens often, it was overtightened"

Funny that soooo many people overtighten ONLY specialized seatpost clamps an not any other bikes.