Cycling with your partner

Thanks for all the input.

I think I am going to remove her weight and send her the link.... :ph34r:

Or leave her weight in and have her chase you up the climbs with a frying pan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha thats a plan savage. 

@ Dale thanks for your input. She asked me what she can do, just getting info for her, and then Ill wait on the hills for her. I heard plenty of horror stories about that what you are mentioning. 

Tandem?

Her power to weight is probably not great but what could also be a challenge is her ability and desire to push her limits. Some people hit 80% but to them it feels 100% so they don't push any harder.

First concentrate on developing a love for the sport - without that, anything else you do will be pointless. Make it about the social aspect, the coffee at the half way point and the feel good factor afterwards (and be patient up those hills :-) )

hahaha thats a plan savage.

@ Dale thanks for your input. She asked me what she can do, just getting info for her, and then Ill wait on the hills for her. I heard plenty of horror stories about that what you are mentioning.

Aside from doing lots of climbing I would suggest that you help your wife find a gear ratio that'll help complete most of the climbs you are doing. Basically a gear ratio that she can tap out an easy but ground eating tempo on. Also the advice of group rides is sound and will help her general development as well.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Just ride as fast as possible to the top of the hill and wait there for her.... tap hand on handlebars from when she comes into view till when she gets to you...

Then head off at a swift pace just faster than talking/yelling speed... maintain for 15 min... repeat at every Hill....

This is what V12 does to his mates so it is an accepted method for people you get on with.

Whether your wife falls into that category I cannot comment on......

This is what V12 does to his mates so it is an accepted method for people you get on with.

Whether your wife falls into that category I cannot comment on......

Half wheeling you up the hill is a different strategy... to a max attack anyway.... :)

Power meter.

While it is a bit of an expensive option it makes appropriate pacing dead simple.

Beyond that it is just going to be a bit of will power, which I found comes with practice.

• 3 weeks later...

So we besides the squads and repeats we will also take on the tandem......

We do enjoy riding together, and this might be a good solution in the long run. 

We will be borrowing one from a friend of a friend. Apparently it is a piece of scrap in his way. 

Who knows, perhaps this is a good thing. We have nothing to loose, but might end up spending a lot of time together. 

Please don't do what my husband did two weeks ago.  I was really pushing myself on a long hill and he was riding alongside me.  Suddenly he wanted to chat and asked all sorts of irritating questions that cannot be answered with a simple "yes" or "no".   I told him to go away.  :P

Edited by blondeonabike

Please don't do what my husband did two weeks ago.  I was really pushing myself on a long hill and he was riding alongside me.  Suddenly he wanted to chat and asked all sorts of irritating questions that cannot be answered with a simple "yes" or "no".   I told him to go away.  :P

Hahaha i had this when we started about 5 years ago. We where still dating and decided to start cycling.

I soon learned that the first 15 km in a early morning ride is a no talk zone, and then also long hills.

i battled to climb hills at 130 kg...i still battle to climb hills at 103 kg...i got a super light bike and still battle to climb hills...i need to loose another 20 kg...but lets not focus on weight.

a couple things i have learnt about climbing hills which might help...

breathing...when it starts getting tough blow out as much air as possible...then inhale...blow out and inhale...and keep doing this as it gets harder.

cadence...be careful of pedaling too fast or too slow...my target is 80 rpm...i have changed my gearing to make it possible...some people prefer a lower cadence...spinning too fast can blow your hr through the roof...but not spinning fast enough will make you work harder. 

ride behind her for a while get an idea of the pace...then go in front of her and pick up the pace slightly...tell her to focus on your back wheel...cassette or something and pull her up the hills...i find zoning into a cassette on a hill keeps my mind focused on going forward rather than up the hill.

ride shorter hills using harder gears and learn to stand a little.

If you keep doing the same thing every time you going to have the same results. 

I would recommend doing hill repeats and slowly work on improving on her times. 

Make sure to have the right gears, keep a good cadence and work on that breathing. 

Edited by venom1