scubes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stand with your back to a wall.

Feet slightly apart.

Take a book and press it up between your legs as if it were a saddle.

Mark the height on the wall.

Take the measurement from the floor to the mark on the wall.

Take measurement and deduct 100 mm from it.

Now set your saddle to this height from the center of the crank bolt to the top of your saddle.

Micro adjust from there.

Works for me

This is remarkably accurate. Thanks!

How far fore/aft your saddle is will also have a baring on this. If you move it forward, you can raise it a bit, then drop it if you move it backwards, but only 10mm or so either way. Moving it back will give more power on flats, forward a bit more on steeper climbs. Further back will put more weight on your wrists though. At least that's what I've found

Thanks for the advice guys.

So I am experimenting with my saddle height and will get it right. I will also move the saddle back a bit.

For the stack height I can't see how it can be lowered and if I can't get the bike right for me I will sell it and get a 27.5- I've upgraded this bike quite a bit so don't wanna let it go just yet.

As for the longer stem, I was actually thinking of a shorter stem. Maybe I should keep the stem as is and put the saddle back- and perhaps try wider bars? I do think I have short legs relatively actually, I have a stocky muscular build not a thin roadie build with long legs  :eek:

Edited by scubes

Ok so a question - why do you want to do this? Just because it doesn't 'look' right or you have an actual problem of some sort to resolve ....

Good point. I want it to look right..

But really it's because I just upgraded my fork from 100mm to 120mm and the ride difference is incredible and also what I can do now on tech terrain. But it just doesn't feel right as it did before the overall fit.

Also because I have relatively wide shoulders for my height (I am more stocky than tall 'n thin) and want to get wider bars. That means a shorter stem usually. I think wider bars will benefit my ride a lot and I'd feel more comfortable too.

And finally because I have test ridden a 27.5 and the bike felt so much more nimble. The 29er to me almost feels like it is made for a tall person. I am probably wrong there but this is personal I guess. I just want the bike to feel as best as it can for my body shape before looking at another bike.

Ok so a question - why do you want to do this? Just because it doesn't 'look' right or you have an actual problem of some sort to resolve ....

Well then if it would be me I would put a wider bar and shorter stem on (bless the Captain's soul) and forget all the fluff around wheel size and stuff for when you have an actual problem to solve (even then it's probably not the answer) 

Disclaimer - IMHO and I'm just a hacker  :whistling:

Another method to calculate your saddle height is by measuring your inseam, then multiplying it by 0.883 (Greg Lemond's suggestion) or 0.886 (other research). Either way, you'll be very close. Click on the images to open the link to the website to explain how to measure.

I've used this method, and my saddle height hasn't been adjusted at any bike fitting. - click the images below to open the website for instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-zpSXQzsA

post-1372-0-47214300-1491473987_thumb.jpg

post-1372-0-13012300-1491473986_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

Thanks for the advice guys.

So I am experimenting with my saddle height and will get it right. I will also move the saddle back a bit.

For the stack height I can't see how it can be lowered and if I can't get the bike right for me I will sell it and get a 27.5- I've upgraded this bike quite a bit so don't wanna let it go just yet.

As for the longer stem, I was actually thinking of a shorter stem. Maybe I should keep the stem as is and put the saddle back- and perhaps try wider bars? I do think I have short legs relatively actually, I have a stocky muscular build not a thin roadie build with long legs :eek:

Just hope that you don't have a significant leg length discrepancy between left and right leg, looking at your photos I could swear your one leg is .......

Just kidding

But yes seat looks a bit high....

Another method to calculate your saddle height is by measuring your inseam, then multiplying it by 0.883 (Greg Lemond's suggestion) or 0.886 (other research). Either way, you'll be very close. Click on the images to open the link to the website to explain how to measure.

I've used this method, and my saddle height hasn't been adjusted at any bike fitting. - click the images below to open the website for instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-zpSXQzsA

attachicon.gifinseam.jpg

attachicon.gifMoen-Heath.png

oooooooo....if this was a Friday :whistling:  :whistling:  :eek:  :devil:

:ph34r: this is an actual problem to me  :ph34r: lol

i like getting things fixed right, so i just wanna get this bike fit right especially after tinkering around and going 1x10, dropper on, better fork on etc- the dynamics change on the bike. 

there's some great advice been given here and i'll get my saddle right- and get the wider bars. then i just need to get fitter that could be an actual problem  :rolleyes:

Well then if it would be me I would put a wider bar and shorter stem on (bless the Captain's soul) and forget all the fluff around wheel size and stuff for when you have an actual problem to solve (even then it's probably not the answer) 

Disclaimer - IMHO and I'm just a hacker  :whistling:

Edited by scubes

why bother measuring if it sticks out that much?  :ph34r:

Because when somebody asked exactly how much bigger it is than theirs, you want to give an accurate and factual answer.