[Event] Emperors Palace Classic

News bot

According to the SMS:

The Convention Centre at Emperors.

19 - 22 Apr between 10:00 and16:00.

Anyone know if there's number collection on race day?  Can't find reference to this on the email or website.  It's a bit of a mission to go out there before race day just to collect the number.  Thanks

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if there's number collection on race day?  Can't find reference to this on the email or website.  It's a bit of a mission to go out there before race day just to collect the number.  Thanks

As far as I understand there will not be number collection on race day. It was the same situation last year. I am sure there are plenty of trustworthy guys on the Hub that will be willing to collect it for you when they fetch theirs and then just meet up with you on race day.

When is your start time? Maybe someone on here is in the same batch, thus making it easier to sync the meeting time.

As far as I understand there will not be number collection on race day. It was the same situation last year. I am sure there are plenty of trustworthy guys on the Hub that will be willing to collect it for you when they fetch theirs and then just meet up with you on race day.

When is your start time? Maybe someone on here is in the same batch, thus making it easier to sync the meeting time.

Thanks Rookie, good Idea.  Anyone near to Rosebank going to collect race numbers Thurs or Fri this week?

Im just wondering how Marathon Runners pay half what we do and get a R180 t-shirt plus goodies.. Are they not as charitable as us?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by PietSw

Im just wondering how Marathon Runners pay half what we do and get a R180 t-shirt plus goodies.. Are they not as charitable as us?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I missed the email mentioning the contribution to charity as opposed to some kind of goodie bag.

I am not beholden to the receipt of a goodie bag and i am sure most hubbers will freely forego a goodie bag if it translates into a contribution to a charity. If the ASG email that I missed is real, then I am midly miffed by the fact that I had no choice in the matter.

Or maybe I am just grumpy and need to ride my bike more.

No. ASG say in the email that they gave it to charity.

charity begins at home.

I'm sure thats exactly what people who need charity want, their kids bouncing around high on caffeine goo and electrolyte tablets. Edited by Patchelicious

I missed the email mentioning the contribution to charity as opposed to some kind of goodie bag.

I am not beholden to the receipt of a goodie bag and i am sure most hubbers will freely forego a goodie bag if it translates into a contribution to a charity. If the ASG email that I missed is real, then I am midly miffed by the fact that I had no choice in the matter.

Or maybe I am just grumpy and need to ride my bike more.

Below is a paste of the email in its entirety.

I am posting it not because I give a continental about the goody bag. I don't. But it contains a lot other important info, so i thought it would be useful to share.

To beat Spinnekop's drum, it's galactic stupidity to make us give up a working afternoon and a quarter tank of avgas to pick up a lousy piece paper. If I can't delegate this, I will in future do the unthinkable with a permanent marker on the reverse side of last year's race number.

Turning to the below mail, I am mildly concerned about what they have to say re the merge with the short race, having once been nearly taken out on the skf finishing hill by a bonked and wildly weaving short distance rider. Great Caution will be needed to keep the rubber face down after the merge, especially because the bunches will be bigger than ever this year, if the subscription uptake and the mild weather predictions are to be believed.

Be. Careful. Out. There. Your family, your collar bone & spleen are more important than your sub 3.

--------------------------------------->>

"Thanks for joining us for Sunday’s tenth running of the Emperors Palace Classic.

Registration will take place at the big ASG Marquee next to the overflow parking on the left as you enter at Emperors Palace on the following days:

Wednesday 19 April 2017: 10h00 – 16h00:

Thursday 20 April 2017: 10h00 - 16h00

Friday 21 April 2017: 10h00 - 16h00

Saturday 22 April 2017: 9:00 – 15:00

Proceeds from the event go to the Cancer Association of South Africa and we have taken the decision not to provide goody bags this year. The goody bag budget expense will be added to the contribution that will be going to CANSA.

We have received donations of Nestle Bar Ones and High 5 zero tabs which are free to take for riders at registration.

ASG is putting up a 200 square metre shop at registration with lots of special offering and race day aids will be on sale.

Starting Times:

The main event starts at 06h15 and all riders receive text messages with their starting times and batches. Batches and start times are also printed on race numbers which riders receive at registration.

Parking:

This year cyclists will be ushered to either the grassed parking area adjacent to Emperors Palace (off Griffiths Road) or into a new parking area which ACSA has afforded the event off Jones Road (directly across from the start/finish).

Both these parking areas are adjacent to the start/finish and a much better option than the Emperors Palace complex parking which the organisation will keep clear this year to ensure that complex activities can carry on smoothly alongside the running of the Emperors Palace Classic. Jones Road will be closed on Sunday ,you need to access parking from Griffiths offramp

PLEASE ADHERE TO PARKING OFFICIALS INSTRUCTIONS.

Please ensure that you afford yourself enough time to get to your parking spot as late comers will experience traffic delays of up to 1 hour outside Emperors.

Riders must make their way outside to the starting pens, which are located in Jones Road in front of the UTI and Europcar offices.

Riders have to be in their starting pens 15 minutes prior to their start and adhere to officials instructions.

The cut-off at the finish line is at 13:00 and a cut-off of 12:00 will be enforced at the left turn into Rondebult Road for the long distance ride.

Race numbers will be removed from riders after these cut-offs and should they choose to continue they will form part of normal traffic and have to adhere to all traffic rules.

The finish line will be lifted at 13:00 and riders who cross the line after 13:00 will not receive an official time.

Route:

We have been afforded road closure in Jones Road for the start as well as Boundary Road.

All other areas of the route are not closed and cyclists need to be aware of vehicles at all times.

It is very important to keep to the left and give vehicles room to pass.

Riders in the 48km follow the 98km route until the turn-around in Boundary Road. The outbound two lanes in Boundary Road will be closed to traffic and coned off in the middle of the two outbound lanes.

48km riders make a U-turn shortly before Carnival City and come back on the same side of Boundary Road on which they rode out, but on the other side of the cones.

They join the 98km at the turn into Rondebult Road. Riders need to be aware at this joining and ensure they integrate sensible and safely for the journey back to Emperors Palace.

Both distances follow the same route back to Emperors Palace from this point.

For complete route maps, go to www.emperorsclassic.co.za

Let’s have fun and look after each other!"

I'm sure that exactly what people who need charity want, their kids bouncing around high on caffeine goo and electrolyte tablets.

I hear you, Patch. But On a personal note, I must say that I would prefer that my offspring suck on high octane caffeine gu laced with tequila, instead of those insidious little blue sachets of chamois cream.

I was SO looking forward to this and now I am starting to feel sick!! [emoji107] [emoji107]

Don't go there .. sitting on a nebuliser last 2 days ... hoping to ride at least, not necessarily race [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Below is a paste of the email in its entirety.

I am posting it not because I give a continental about the goody bag. I don't. But it contains a lot other important info, so i thought it would be useful to share.

To beat Spinnekop's drum, it's galactic stupidity to make us give up a working afternoon and a quarter tank of avgas to pick up a lousy piece paper. If I can't delegate this, I will in future do the unthinkable with a permanent marker on the reverse side of last year's race number.

Turning to the below mail, I am mildly concerned about what they have to say re the merge with the short race, having once been nearly taken out on the skf finishing hill by a bonked and wildly weaving short distance rider. Great Caution will be needed to keep the rubber face down after the merge, especially because the bunches will be bigger than ever this year, if the subscription uptake and the mild weather predictions are to be believed.

Be. Careful. Out. There. Your family, your collar bone & spleen are more important than your sub 3.

--------------------------------------->>

"Thanks for joining us for Sunday’s tenth running of the Emperors Palace Classic.

Registration will take place at the big ASG Marquee next to the overflow parking on the left as you enter at Emperors Palace on the following days:

Proceeds from the event go to the Cancer Association of South Africa and we have taken the decision not to provide goody bags this year. The goody bag budget expense will be added to the contribution that will be going to CANSA.

We have received donations of Nestle Bar Ones and High 5 zero tabs which are free to take for riders at registration.

ASG is putting up a 200 square metre shop at registration with lots of special offering and race day aids will be on sale.

Starting Times:

The main event starts at 06h15 and all riders receive text messages with their starting times and batches. Batches and start times are also printed on race numbers which riders receive at registration.

Parking:

This year cyclists will be ushered to either the grassed parking area adjacent to Emperors Palace (off Griffiths Road) or into a new parking area which ACSA has afforded the event off Jones Road (directly across from the start/finish).

Both these parking areas are adjacent to the start/finish and a much better option than the Emperors Palace complex parking which the organisation will keep clear this year to ensure that complex activities can carry on smoothly alongside the running of the Emperors Palace Classic. Jones Road will be closed on Sunday ,you need to access parking from Griffiths offramp

PLEASE ADHERE TO PARKING OFFICIALS INSTRUCTIONS.

Please ensure that you afford yourself enough time to get to your parking spot as late comers will experience traffic delays of up to 1 hour outside Emperors.

Riders must make their way outside to the starting pens, which are located in Jones Road in front of the UTI and Europcar offices.

Riders have to be in their starting pens 15 minutes prior to their start and adhere to officials instructions.

The cut-off at the finish line is at 13:00 and a cut-off of 12:00 will be enforced at the left turn into Rondebult Road for the long distance ride.

Race numbers will be removed from riders after these cut-offs and should they choose to continue they will form part of normal traffic and have to adhere to all traffic rules.

The finish line will be lifted at 13:00 and riders who cross the line after 13:00 will not receive an official time.

Route:

We have been afforded road closure in Jones Road for the start as well as Boundary Road.

All other areas of the route are not closed and cyclists need to be aware of vehicles at all times.

It is very important to keep to the left and give vehicles room to pass.

Riders in the 48km follow the 98km route until the turn-around in Boundary Road. The outbound two lanes in Boundary Road will be closed to traffic and coned off in the middle of the two outbound lanes.

48km riders make a U-turn shortly before Carnival City and come back on the same side of Boundary Road on which they rode out, but on the other side of the cones.

They join the 98km at the turn into Rondebult Road. Riders need to be aware at this joining and ensure they integrate sensible and safely for the journey back to Emperors Palace.

Both distances follow the same route back to Emperors Palace from this point.

For complete route maps, go to www.emperorsclassic.co.za

Let’s have fun and look after each other!"

Why don't we take it upon ourselves, each one of us, to just ask the registration people why the hell we drive all over the place to collect pieces of paper.

If enough people ask, they will listen sooner rather than later.

This makes me think of how the metered taxis are trying to stay relevant.

Why don't we take it upon ourselves, each one of us, to just ask the registration people why the hell we drive all over the place to collect pieces of paper.

If enough people ask, they will listen sooner rather than later.

This makes me think of how the metered taxis are trying to stay relevant.

Agreed.

I know this has been discussed before, but this is a worthy issue to push until the organisers get with the times. There has to be a couple of decent solutions to make the registration process easier. 

With running races you can pitch and enter on the day or enter online and get your number on raceday. The attendance numbers for running races are probably 10 times that of road cycling races, so don't tell me it will be a logistical issue to ensure everyone gets their number on race day, bollocks!

Just a disclaimer, not all cycling races are guilty of this. I know Race 4 Victory allows you to collect your pack on race morning, which is a massive step in the right direction. There are probably a couple more that are the same.

I also understand with 947 and CTCT the numbers are just insane to allow this, but even these events can find a different mechanism than forcing us to drive to the "expo" just to collect a piece of paper.

This is probably why we are forced to go collect a piece of paper 60km away.