Team Slowbee needs Western Cape Hubbers advice

Slowbee

yes what Philip said. Or with Julien Louw. She and those riding behind her will thank you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheeky Corners at Contermans has lots of switchbacks, some easy and some not so easy. That would be a good place to do them over and over.

What Henry said, Slowbee. And there is a way to get back to the top up a fire road if you want to repeat. And Julien does classes there... They were good Edited by Thor Buttox

From Somerset West, Mont Marie will be some good practice and I have heard good things about the new trail at Boschendal. 

This  and g-spot

if you dont' where it it, drop me PM, i'll take you.

oo ja.. Boschendal training area is brilliant as well.  very repeatable, and flat

Edited by Karman de Lange

If we could go here it would be most usefull as it is round the corner from us.

Is it not difficult to get to the top of never ending ? And how tricky is it to get to the top of firehut to come down the switch backs?

Also, l;ooking at the maps it does not show that many switch backs?

http://www.irideafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/jonkershoek-trail-map-2016-2.png

To get to neverending is a bit of a lungbuster but not for long. Getting to Firehut is lekker gradual and doing firehut trail is orgasmic(i like flowy trails). Dont miss the opportunity since you will be staying close by.

Hey Guys

So Mrs Slowbee is doing S2C and is very concerned about the notion of single track and switch backs. Yes I know there are not that many switch backs and they are on day 2 and only really a few of them, but it would be good for her to be able to ride them without fear and trepidation. 

This being the easter weekend I thought we could try some of the trails closer to CT.

Where can we go where she can practice (as in repeat a few times) switch backs?

Hoogerkraal seems a great place from the map, but what about contermans? Would it be easy to do repeats? Maybe walk back on ourselves and try the route once or twice without doing the entire loop system again?

What say's hubland ?

If she can ride the switchback on the W2W route, there just over the hill from you, the S2C ones will be a doddle.

While you wait for the weekend, try the following.

In your driveway/garage/park place two markers a few meters apart. Ride figure eights around them. As confidence grows bring the markers closer to each other. Look where you want to go, not at the wheel!

While you wait for the weekend, try the following.

In your driveway/garage/park place two markers a few meters apart. Ride figure eights around them. As confidence grows bring the markers closer to each other. Look where you want to go, not at the wheel! not where you're going  

Fixed

Cheeky Corners at Contermans has lots of switchbacks, some easy and some not so easy. That would be a good place to do them over and over.

This

I second this suggestion as once you get to the bottom you can push back up the kloof section and repeat cheekies

I'd go and ride the Thandi trails - those switchbacks are pretty good. And you get two for the price of one - uphill and downhill switchbacks!

And it's less than 20 minutes from Somerset West.

Oh, I forgot - even Paul Cluver has some nice switchbacks close to the amphitheatre. 

I also say PC.

she will have heart failure !

This is an extremely old video of PC and you can skip this.

Slowbee, send her on a skills clinic with Joanna Dobinson from Biking in the Bosch. Pm me if you want her number.

One session with her made a massive difference to my wife's confidence.

she has done two sessions with her. And a couple of laps at G Spot, she wants to now try something different, as she has never really done switchbacks

Thanks Guys.

Will have to organise a hub ride again and beers will be on me.

No wait, you okes are literal. I will pay for the drinks, I dont feel like having beer on me.

And Slowbee, you are mos from around here. Helderberg alone have some nice switchbacks on the Bikini Beach climb and the last climb on the red route also have like 11 switchbacks.

Moridin, do the helderberg trails have downhill switchbacks ? remember Mrs Slowbee has some skill, but not alot of skill

To answer your question about Hoogekraal and Conties...

I would first do Hoogekraal, its got lots of uphill and downhill switchbacks, but nothing too tight that will scare the living daylights out of her.

Contermans also has both uphill and downhill.  However the Cheeky corners switchbacks are a step up from Hoogekraal as they are tighter and steeper that Hoogies and might scare her rather than give her confidence.

I would also avoid Firehut for a switchback newbie if it's anything like it was before the fire especially the top section.  Never Ending is great option.

The Sani switchbacks are not that technical, most if I remember correctly are as smooth as a baby's bum.   As long as she is comfortable on singletrack she should be fine. 

Good luck for Sani !!!

I'm gonna disagree with Hoogekraal, The Cobra only, very rocky & by your accounts will be too technical for yor Mrs.

Cheeky Corners at Contermanskloof gets my vote, plenty up & down switch backs that can Be repeated. There is Bloemendaler up & Down & Hillcrest down only.